Under toolbox fuel tank-HELP

PUG

Pug
I have an 09 Ram 1 ton with a Delta low profile toolbox that has a space under it of 7 1/2 " x 17" x 58". I would like to find a steel, alum, or plastic fuel tank that would fit into this space to carry extra fuel. I have looked around some and can't find one of course to fit these dimensions so I am thinking about just making one. Anyone have any ideas where to buy or tips on making one?
I found a plastic marine tank that comes quite close to these dimensions that would hold 25 gallons and has all the plumbing points etc. If these are strapped down are they legal to use as I am thinking about?
What kind of fuel transfer system do you recommend? Gravity, pump, auto gravity, etc. etc.

Thanks..pug PLEASE REPLY AND SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE.

jimtoo

HI PUG,

I have a RDS tank and toolbox combo. Check out the RDS web site. They make a lot of different sizes and shapes,,, I think will even make custom size. Also Tractor Supply carries some tanks and some are RDS made.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
You might be money ahead to do as Jim suggests and just get an RDS aux tank - toolbox combo and sell the Delta toolbax on craigslist.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Trust me. Don't use a plastic fuel tankin your bed. If it starts to leak your going to have a real mess. Get an aluminum tank. It is lighter and does not rust.

I have a American Tank Combo. I also have a switch on the dash to allow the fuel pump to draw from either tank.

They will ship what ever you want and give you the instructions to install it.

FWIW
BC

hoefler

You need to have a DOT approved fuel tank. Heaven forbid you have any kind of problem or accident, you do not not need the extra hassle!

caissiel

With diesel fuel the tank can be only hooked by gravity feed to the truck tank to be legal,
By adding a pumping device it needs to be DOT approved.

porthole

Retired
That approximate size tank cost me about $550 to have a custom made tank for our Boston Whaler. So as others have posted, you might be better off starting from the beginning.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
With diesel fuel the tank can be only hooked by gravity feed to the truck tank to be legal,

I am not sure about other trucks, but my Ford has a fuel pump in the fuel line.

What you can do is cut the fuel line before the fuel pump put in a switch which is activated by a toggle on the dash. Now you can change from one tank to the other without a pump and the fuel gage will work on both tanks. Only down side is the computer has to catch up with the amount of fuel when you switch. It might take about 5-10 miles for it to register full after you switch to the other tank.

As I mentioned above, check out American Tank Company. Here is where they discuss the switch. Call them they are great people.

BC

hoefler

By adding a pumping device it needs to be DOT approved.

You might want to check with your local DOT, gravity feed is illegal in most states with out some kind of fail safe, like a normally closed solenoid valve, or pump, etc..

PUG

Pug
I am just about done building my own. Another few hours of welding and sticking it in the back of the truck. I found out in the dot regulations that gravity feed IS legal as long as you gravity feed into the main tank filler pipe. I purchased a T fitting tht you cut into the line and it has an inlet that also has a automatic shut off in case ;you tip over or it fills the lower tank up. One person was talking about cutting into the main "fuel" line going to the engine. That is illegal per DOT.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One person was talking about cutting into the main "fuel" line going to the engine. That is illegal per DOT.

Hay Pug. I believe that was me that stated I had one installed by the tank mfgr. in Texas. Would you be kind enough to post a link to the DOT (which state DOT) that states the connection to the main fuel line is illegal. I would be very interested in seeing the Law and what state has it.

Thank you
BC