Unknown Elextrical Wiring in front of camper

GregD904

Hello,

I have a 2019 Heartland Prowler Lynx 25LX. In side the campter, on the door side , under the window next to the bed is a blank "faceplate" that is black (matching the color of the plugs and switches in the camper). I recently unscrewed it and found a red and red and white wire in there that were capped off. I have not looked at the wiring on any other outlet or switch in the camper as I cannot get the faceplates off, nor do I want to try.

My camper does have the entire electric package, electric jacks, electric tongue jack/crank, electric awning, so I don't think this could go for any of those.

Does anyone know what this receptical would be for? Possibly an extra plug? There are always two plugs on the "night stand" things next to the bed, so another plug here seems strange. There is no "cut out" for a plug or switch, just a hole with the wires and they are screwed into the wall.

Any ideas on what this is for? Maybe for a DC cigarette lighter socket maybe?

Thank you,

GregD904

Greg, I'd put a meter on it and see if it's 12V DC.

Thank you, that is a good idea, not sure why I did not think of that. I am pretty handy and good with electricity, but have a question then. Would you recommend me disconnecting shore power from the camper when I test it?

GK2018

Thank you, that is a good idea, not sure why I did not think of that. I am pretty handy and good with electricity, but have a question then. Would you recommend me disconnecting shore power from the camper when I test it?
I personally would unplug from shore power just in case it is 120V you don't wind up blowing your meter by overloading it and if it doesn't read I'd plug it back in and test for 120V or go vice versa and check for 120V then 12V.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GregD904

I personally would unplug from shore power just in case it is 120V you don't wind up blowing your meter by overloading it and if it doesn't read I'd plug it back in and test for 120V or go vice versa and check for 120V then 12V.

Good idea, I will do that tomorrow evening and reply back with my findings. Either way, do we know why they would put a 12v or 120V wiring like this? Just curious if its common practice.

GK2018

Good idea, I will do that tomorrow evening and reply back with my findings. Either way, do we know why they would put a 12v or 120V wiring like this? Just curious if its common practice.
I'm not sure why they would put one there unless it was pre wiring for something that wasnt hooked up or for something to be hooked up in the future. I've seen that done in some houses. When you find out what voltage it is you might be able to wire a plug there that's usable. The gage of the wire in question may also lead to the type of current that runs through it be it 12V or 120V. Thinner wires dont carry as much current when compared to the thicker 120V romex unless there are relays involved. I might have gotten off topic a little but hopefully that helps.

GregD904

I'm not sure why they would put one there unless it was pre wiring for something that wasnt hooked up or for something to be hooked up in the future. I've seen that done in some houses. When you find out what voltage it is you might be able to wire a plug there that's usable. The gage of the wire in question may also lead to the type of current that runs through it be it 12V or 120V. Thinner wires dont carry as much current when compared to the thicker 120V romex unless there are relays involved. I might have gotten off topic a little but hopefully that helps.

Thank you for that feedback. The wires are pretty thin and tough to see the writing on the. but that’s a good point. Makes complete sense as I know there’s a difference with the romex in my house.

I assume that it is 12 V but I will find out for sure tomorrow. I am trying to think of what I want to do hooked up my only guess is it some type of a DC receptacle.

I am interested in putting an inverter in my camper so I wonder if that would also be something optional?

Sent from my iPhone

GK2018

It may also be an access panel to access those wires in the future or to run those wires if it made it easier for them and then they put a blank cover on it to hide the hole.

GregD904

It may also be an access panel to access those wires in the future or to run those wires if it made it easier for them and then they put a blank cover on it to hide the hole.

Good point, that also makes sense. I’ll reach out to Heartland as well as test it.

Sent from my iPhone

GK2018

Being thin I'd bet more on it being 12V.

An inverter might be a little big to squeeze in there but you could potentially run romex into that hole from a 120V receptacle that's close and add another usable receptacle there. They even make receptacle safes that you can hide jewelry in of you wanted to go that route.

GregD904

Being thin I'd bet more on it being 12V.

An inverter might be a little big to squeeze in there but you could potentially run romex into that hole from a 120V receptacle that's close and add another usable receptacle there. They even make receptacle safes that you can hide jewelry in of you wanted to go that route.

That is good to know, thank you. Yes, I meant to say maybe that wiring is for putting an inverter in the camper and allowing me to install an outlet that would work on an inverter. But I’m probably way off with that.

I will let you know the results tomorrow of what I find when I plug the meter into it

Sent from my iPhone

GK2018

You could probably do something like with an inverter if you could run the wires from the inverter into there. The sky is the limit when it comes to adding things!

GregD904

You could probably do something like with an inverter if you could run the wires from the inverter into there. The sky is the limit when it comes to adding things!

That is true! Let me see what they are and I’ll go from there.

Sent from my iPhone