Upgrading pinbox

Dloebrich

Hello all,
On a recent trip to Michigan I thought our truck or our backs would break from the rough roads. The biggest issue is the jarring from potholes and uneven pavement. Fells like we are riding on solid frame with steel tires.
Considering upgrading to air ride pin box and or Firestone air bags.
Current setup is Chevy 3500 dual wheels with BMW companion 18k hitch pulling cyclone 4000 at 15-18 k depending on load.
any suggestion would be great
thanks
Dan

danemayer

Michigan (and Illinois) aren't spending enough on road maintenance. You might get some improvement by way of mods, but I'm guessing the ride will still be horrible.

Jim.Allison

I know that when I mention the TrailerSaver BD3, the alligators will come after me like i'm a kitten stranded in the swamp.

But, I'm so happy that I decided to put my money in the BD3 hitch, instead of buying a normal hitch then a sophisticated pin box. Either way the hitch system package is expensive. A typical system with fifth wheel hitch and trail-aire or a mor-ryde ranges between 1600 to 2100 dollars. A TrailerSaver BD3, is a great alternative.

I love to see my TrailerSaver just taking all the punishment as I scoot down the highway. My trailer just glides along, no chucking, jarring or slamming. Dont get me wrong, there are great pin boxes that do a similar job.

As far as price is concerned the TrailerSaver makes more sense for a new installation where you are buying a hitch at the same time you are investing in a advanced pin box, It is then that you want to make your selection. It is certainly more costly to discard your hitch system in favor of the TrailerSaver. I'm ecstatic about my purchase of the BD3.

My airbags do give me a noticeably better ride, if you inflate a good percentage of the load off your springs. There is a perfect range for loaded and unloaded. In my 2500, I use about 8 psi unloaded and 25 psi loaded. My rig rides like a Cadillac. If you buy airbags, look at the AirLift 5000 with "internal Jounce", On the RAM the hard rubber "jounce" pad is removed to make way for the airbag. One model of the AirLift has an "internal jounce", so if you ever do "bottom out" the jounce is there to protect your rig and your airbags. Look at that closely before you buy. I do not know if Firestone offers the same feature. If they do then Firestone is also a consideration.

Mrsfish

We also upgraded the hitch rather than the pin box. We went with the air safe hitch and have never looked back. No chucking, bucking or any other ing.

scottyb

We have been real happy with the 5th Airborne pin box, especially after adding air bags on the new truck. The dampening is excellent. I am also very happy with Ford's OEM 5th wheel prep and now I wouldn't consider using a hitch that doesn't match up with it. For now that means Reese or B&W and I use the latter. In / out of the truck in 2 min, leaving a clean bed, or slipping the ball in for a gooseneck trailer.

Jim.Allison

I think that Trailer Saver has addressed the factory bed mounts.. I don't how exactly, but glad you brought it up.

porthole

Retired
We have been real happy with the 5th Airborne pin box, especially after adding air bags on the new truck. The dampening is excellent. I am also very happy with Ford's OEM 5th wheel prep and now I wouldn't consider using a hitch that doesn't match up with it. For now that means Reese or B&W and I use the latter. In / out of the truck in 2 min, leaving a clean bed, or slipping the ball in for a gooseneck trailer.

Scott, Hensley (trailersaver) has a Ford adapter that matches the Ford "pucks" on the bottom and standard Reese rail mount on the top. So anything with the reese rail system will work.
The adapter is pricey (about $500) and heavy, but very well made.

Your 5th Airborne - I know you have a set pressure for the ride you need, but, if you were to add or lower the pressure does it raise or lower the pin box relative to standard pressure setting?

What I am getting at - to back into my driveway I dump all the air on the truck springs and the hitch, this raises the rear of the trailer just enough for the jacks to clear backing up the hill.

When in a less the flat campground I will max inflate my hitch bags to raise the pin box so that the back end of the pin box clears my bed rails. I have a roll top cover on the bed and the side rails for the cover stick over the bed just enough to be an issue with the pin box on tight turns.

Ford factory prep hitch adapter

TS3_hitch_05.jpg

Majestic

Dan, we also have the same truck, installed BD3 hitch and air bags on the truck & Landmark axles, Lippert Center Point, get ride

Dloebrich

Thanks for the input everybody.
I am thinking air bags and pin box.
Hate to replace the truck hitch as it is less than 1 year old

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We installed 5th airborne after our first trip due to the chucking and rough ride. Definitely fixed chucking issue. Now hwy 69 through Oklahoma with separated expansion joints every 12 ft, nothing could fix that! Had to go 50-55 just to keep our teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

We installed 5th airborne after our first trip due to the chucking and rough ride. Definitely fixed chucking issue. Now hwy 69 through Oklahoma with separated expansion joints every 12 ft, nothing could fix that! Had to go 50-55 just to keep our teeth.

You got that right. I hate that stretch of road and have found a better passage from where I am. I have to make that trip again next month. That will make 3 times in one year.

Your 5th Airborne - I know you have a set pressure for the ride you need, but, if you were to add or lower the pressure does it raise or lower the pin box relative to standard pressure setting?

What I am getting at - to back into my driveway I dump all the air on the truck springs and the hitch, this raises the rear of the trailer just enough for the jacks to clear backing up the hill.

Yes it does raise and lower it slightly but not nearly as much as the air bags.