Upgrading Wheels and Tires

teamMCL

Now two years into original set of tires and now getting ready to replace the original Towmaster tires that came with our Bighorn. Considering just going to 17.5 " rims and either GY114's or Michelin. Any feedback appreciated. Not an inexpensive investment, but long term return and safety/piece of mind might be worth it.

danemayer

Whatever you end up with, before buying, check the current tire spacing to make sure they'll fit.

Rodbuster

Please believe me when I say that Im not trying to be a wise guy or start trouble. It's just that I don't understand your second post. Half an hour ago you said that you were 'considering" going to the 17.5 wheels and the 114 tires and now your saying that "we did it" and don't regret it.
How do you know how they fit or how they ride or if they will get better milage?
I'm considering the same thing and just finished posting about the same question about changing to what you just bought.

Wish you the best with your new purchase.
Dick

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Dick... I think you got the two posters confused. Team mcl (mark) is considering it and Kakampers (ken) had already done it.

teamMCL

We are still considering it. An additional post from KaKampers said they did it and don't regret it. The higher load rating and a 75mph speed limit gives a great margin when traveling at 60mph, especially when Summer temps begin to climb.

Rodbuster

Wow...Invizatu, you are absolutely correct.
My mistake and I apologize for my post. Once again, I wasn't trying to be smart, just didn't understand.

Dick

porthole

Retired
Been there done that got the 17.5's to prove it :cool:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/

Call Scott, tell him he was recommended from the Heartland website and ask for his best. Straight shooter, fresh stock, excellent pricng and shipping costs.
I had the luck to deal with him personally. He waited at his shop for me to show up at 8:30 pm just on a phone call to purchase our wheels and tires.

When I got there all 5 were mounted, balanced and sitting by the bay door waiting for me - and then he put them on, using a torque wrench.
When finished we ended up just kibitzing for at least an hour before I offered to pay up and get on the road. Nice guy.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Best purchase/upgrade we have done. We purchased the 17.5 with the G114's. Even replaced the spare. On our last fiver we had two blowouts. One cost us $7800.00 in damage and the other $9600.00. No worth the risk. We now can travel worry free. We also invested in a TST 507 TPMS.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have upgraded to 17.5's also. Installed in Dec. Haven't had enough miles on them to give a great opinion but really glad we have them. Takes away the worry of tire problems. We hope...

BC

TeJay

I'm very happy that all of you have upgraded and are happy with the results. We have a bumper pull and currently don't plan on changing, but that might also change. Here's my question and concern. All of you stated basically that with the upgraded tires and rims you were very pleased with the extra margin of safety and comfort and that you now have tires that you could trust. I know all of these units are built right on the edge of safety. Why won't the factory offer upgrades in this area for all travel trailers??? Because of their greater buying power they could offer the upgrade at a more reasonable price and many others would not have to go through the blown tires, damaged campers etc, etc. I really don't understand their reasoning or thought process on this issue. I've been reading on these and other forums concerning suspension and tire issues for 5 years and it does not change. Blown tires, weak twisting frames, poor suspension etc, etc and yet the industry does not seem to offer upgrades, paid for buy the consumer to alleviate or reduce these concerns. Our campers are small and we never have an opportunity to get rims bigger than 14" and therefore we are limited on tire capacity because the industry does not make a tire above a D range which is around 1,840 per tire. that's 7,360 max and our camper is maxed at 7,000. That's not a great margin of safety and they say I can't go to a 15" rim.
Why won't the industry concern themselves more with those who will use their campers more than a few hundred of miles yearly???? Maybe they are hoping we don't use them much because we might wear them out.

TeJay

danemayer

Our campers are small and we never have an opportunity to get rims bigger than 14"
Tejay,

Are you limited by the axle spacing? If so, would that imply that the upgrade would require different axle spacing? If so, that might make it challenging to offer upgrades.

TeJay

I haven't looked into the real reason they won't offer larger wheels but. If the axle spacing is a matter of a few inches then they could locate and drill holes so if you wanted to install 15" wheels just move one of the axles. I'm reminded of GM back in the 70's. Frames were drilled so any of several motors could be mounted in the same frame. I don't believe that's any real issue and it goes back as to why they don't plan for those who might want to use their camper more than the average. I've discussed wheel bearing many, times on these and other forums. I have been told that we have to re-pack the bearings every year because these trailer bearings are bearing a greater load both vertically and side to side than the normal car or truck and we have to service them annually to watch out for failures. Well if they are actually bearing a greater load then why won't the trailer industry put larger inner and outer bearing on them to bear that greater load???? Then we wouldn't be forced to service the bearings every year.
Any time you service anything you are spending $$$$, and opening yourself up to an error which might cause a failure. If you serviced: radiator hoses, heater hoses, battery connections, oil, filter, air filter, PCV valve, transmission filter, alternator belt, wheel bearings, differential fluid, spark plugs, plug wires and rotated tires etc, etc every 3-6 months you are opening yourself to making a mistake and that creates the problem. I'm capable of doing all this stuff and I'll do it without error 99% of the time but it's that 1% that concerns me. Labor costs are not the problem but the opportunity to make a mistake performing a service that does not have to be done that often that concerns me more than anything else. Now if you have to rely on others to perform these services flawlessly that really concerns me.
JMTCW
TeJay

jbbdc

We had regroovable 17.5 inch tires on our Mobile Suites and never had an issue in the 4 years we owned it. I was going to put them on the Landmark when we get it but it looks like Heartland will be offering them as an option fairly soon. I'd rather have the factory do it a the time of build rather than have to dispose of 5 new 16 inch tires right from the start.