Using 5th Wheel to Tow

'Lil Guy'

Thinking about adding a hitch to my BH to tow my golf cart. If a hitch is mounted correctly, will it hurt the frame in any way. If I do this mod, I probably should upgrade the brakes to disc.
Any recommendations on hitch type for this application? Not sure if it voids warranty but I am concerned if the frame can handle it. I'm weighing the pros and cons of this mod now.
I think I'm really hoping for someone to talk me out of this modification. Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

Resiemon

Under highway conditions and speeds the vertical movement of the fifth wheel rear bumper will be significant and can cause the trailer to flip. Just like riding in the back of a school bus.

R E Siemon 2015 BH 3875 F B with and 2015 F250 Diesel, 4WD, Firestone air bags

pegmikef

Thinking about adding a hitch to my BH to tow my golf cart. If a hitch is mounted correctly, will it hurt the frame in any way. If I do this mod, I probably should upgrade the brakes to disc.
Any recommendations on hitch type for this application? Not sure if it voids warranty but I am concerned if the frame can handle it. I'm weighing the pros and cons of this mod now.
I think I'm really hoping for someone to talk me out of this modification. Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

Frank, AJ and John (username alethaj) usually pull a golf cart behind their BH. You might want to PM her and see what they recommend. I don't know how active they are on the forum. Mike

danemayer

Frank,

There are a number of concerns with towing something behind the trailer, including that depending on how and what you do, it may be illegal in some states.

Your frame has a 1 year Lippert warranty and I'd guess you're either past that or nearly past that point. But the real concern is that if you ever have a problem with the frame, or with the suspension, where one of the companies might have helped you out even though the warranty had expired, they are likely to look at your towing setup and politely tell you you're out of warranty and out of luck.

There are some towing platforms that don't put a lot of stress on the hitch or frame. I'm sure someone can chime in with additional info.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
All that Dan said is true. If you are able to accept those parameters, "triple towing" as it is sometimes referred to can be done safely IF you remain below your rated weight and towing limits. I have a 2009 BH 3055RL that I tow my 2002 Bass Tracker 17.5XT behind. I tow all with a 3500 diesel dually. I also have a rear view camera that keeps an eye on the boat. I'm 74' 4" total which pretty much limits me to staying within my home state of MI. which has a limit of 75' total.

You need to understand ALL the state requirements in those states that do allow this type of towing. They all have various length limits, among other regulations. Some require your safety chains to be attached at the outer ends of your trailer/bumper/hitch as well as some that require brakes on the trailer/vehicle you are towing behind the fiver.

Aside from all the legal regulations, as was mentioned you need to understand the dynamics of the specific trailer/load you have at the back and how it reacts to the forces it sees while being towed.

I have been triple towing for a number of years and have not had any issues or near accidents thus far. Most of that has to do with being smart about the limitations something that long and that heavy present.

I hope this helps you in making a wise decision.

Oregon_Camper

I have a 2009 BH 3055RL that I tow my 2002 Bass Tracker 17.5XT behind. I tow all with a 3500 diesel dually. I also have a rear view camera that keeps an eye on the boat. I'm 74' 4" total which pretty much limits me to staying within my home state of MI. which has a limit of 75' total.

I'm not even sure how I would get out of my neighborhood at ~75 feet long. :eek:

I have a hard enough time not jumping a curb (on right hand turns) in these small streets with just my truck and 5th wheel. OMG!!

Donhutch1800

Get an Idaho tote.
I have a 41 ft 5thwheel I tow and have pulled my jetski behind it and the trailer on it is 18 ft long.Also have towed my motorcycle trailer with Two Honda gold wings on it with no problems.Dont really know it's back there other than alittle less mpg.

BigGuy82

I have never done this, but a few questions spring to mind. First off, how's that thing going to handle in high winds? Can you handle oscillation in a large trailer/fiver that is weaving in two directions at the same time? How about an emergency stop ... jack knife the toad that doesn't have trailer brakes? How will you do with a blowout? If you have a breakdown, who's going to tow it? I know that I had a semi wrecker tow my 350 and Bighorn together ... I doubt if he'd take a triple load just because of control concerns. Maybe it's safe but it doesn't seem that way to me, not to mention the legality. Your dealing with physics that you likely know nothing about (neither do I). Not to mention the basics of just handling and parking the thing. You're better off buying a toy hauler - just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk