Valterra valve cable

HappyKayakers

Gorilla glue came to my rescue for this one. The last time I had a valve cable break it was one of the short ones and I just bought a new one. This time it was the long one to gray 2, 120 inches. Local RV dealer did not have it in stock. It would take 2 weeks to get it in plus extra shipping, about $60. I tried a few things that didn't work and finally decided to try the gorilla glue. The break was where the cable and sleeve go into the threaded cylinder. I sprayed the hole with water, added gorilla glue and shoved the sleeve back in to the hole. Prior to this I did remove about 1/4 inch of the rubber outer coating to expose the braided sleeve. Periodically moved the cable to keep it from getting glued in place, then removed it entirely for the rest of the setting process once I felt confident that the hole would remain clear of glue.
I just put the cable back in this morning and it survived a few test pulls. Hopefully the repair will last awhile. It's such a pain going into the underbelly. Although part of it is a little easier now that I've put industrial strength Velcro on my access points. Had to use gorilla glue on those also :)

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the info. Glad you got it working.
Not to highjack this thread but, how does a person effectively lube these cables?
My thought is to try to take WD40, or a thin bicycle type lube and using the straw, try shooting it down the cable at the UDC.
Any thoughts?

HappyKayakers

When I had mine completely apart, I didn't see any signs of rust or dirt/sludge accumulation on the cable. I've never lubricated the cables and they do see a lot of use.

jimtoo

Joe and others, check out this link to a repair for a cable that works good and is strong. Kinda crude, but cheap.

Jim M