valve caps

Bernie55

I have a 3300sk, on 2 of my tires, i can't remove my valve caps, they seem to be made out of some type of metal, ( not plastic ). I used Blaster penatrating oil, and pliers, still no luck..Any ideas ??? Thanks Bernie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gosh Bernie, If Blaster and pliers don't get it done, I don't know what to do. Leave it set for a while so the blaster can work??? A little heat? Just don't use too much, you could damage the valve core or stem or both.

jpajax

Just a thought you might drill a small hole in the top of cap so you can lube in rubber washer in the top of cap. Just will have to be careful not let the bit pull into valve. On second thought you might just file or grind off top cap too get to the o ring in the top of cap.

wdk450

Bernie55:
Be Careful!
In all of this effort remember that you are dealing with a good sized volume of high air pressure. The strong chemicals, or mechanical wrenching, could cause the valve stem to shoot off and become a high velocity projectile aimed directly at YOU!

jpajax

All ways wear safety glasses. Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun. Good point Bill Safety First.

jnbhobe

I guess if I was having this problem I would solve it the simple way. Take the wheels off and take them to a good tire store and have new steel valve stems installed. I wouldn't want them things on my rig even if I could fix them. just my $.02 worth !!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I guess if I was having this problem I would solve it the simple way. Take the wheels off and take them to a good tire store and have new steel valve stems installed. I wouldn't want them things on my rig even if I could fix them. just my $.02 worth !!!

Me too....

Northern Virginia
I would try two pairs of channel lock pliers. Hold onto the stem with one and the cap with the other. Then twist the cap, lefty loosy:p. I am sure you can safely remove it this way, Good luck,
John

Bernie55

Thanks for all the ideas, especially the safety issues...My son and family are using the camper in Mich. will be bringing it home to Ohio Saturday.. Leaving for Nashville Tue. should be enough time to get it fixed...Thanks again........Bernie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is an idea. Discount Tire will air your tires up for free. Just stop in there and tell them you needed to check your air pressure on the tires and adjust it as needed. Then let them worry about getting the valve caps off.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Here is an idea. Discount Tire will air your tires up for free. Just stop in there and tell them you needed to check your air pressure on the tires and adjust it as needed. Then let them worry about getting the valve caps off.

Now that is a dandy idea.

scotty

I have a 3300sk, on 2 of my tires, i can't remove my valve caps, they seem to be made out of some type of metal, ( not plastic ). I used Blaster penatrating oil, and pliers, still no luck..Any ideas ??? Thanks Bernie
:mad: Had same issue with my truck, apparently over the winter the metal caps had frozen to the value stems. I ended up using a Dermal Tool and very carefully cutting a grove into the side of the caps, be carefully not to grind into the valve stem. As said previously, you may be able to just grind off the top of the cap and then get it to break loose. :confused: Also, be careful, twisting the cap and rotating the stem as it can become a missile.:eek:

Bernie55

And the rest of the story..........On my valve stem there is a 1/2" crome? sleeve, i very carefully put my longnose between it an the v.s. when i twisted ,the metal began to tear. When i removed it, there was 1/2' of brass?, as part of the stem, enough to put channel locks on it ( seemed very strong ), with the help of my son we unscrewed the caps...2 hands to hold the locks, & 2 hands on the socket....worked verrrry sloooow. All done.... A good idea is to put a dab of grease on the threads...Thanks for all the ideas......Bernie