Vehicle Caught Fire on Vail Pass

ram_1955

Looked like it was confined to engine compartment. In one of the pictures you can read Gat on the front so must be a Gateway

brianlajoie

Surprised it's a 3500 that caught fire. I agree it looks like the fire was confined to the engine compartment, but there is black scorch marks high on the window frame and the entire windshield is gone. Wonder if the passenger compartment was penetrated.

Manzan

That is one long, steep pass. I have seen more than one rig being towed, TV and trailer, over it. Too much pass for the rig. Living proof that 'this truck can pull anything' is not necessarily true.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
And now you know why I call Vail Pass, Eisenhower Tunnel Pass and Floyd Hill 'Truck Killers'!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We took the rig up and through the tunnel and over Vail pass in '14. Had always taken other routes in the past (never towing) so wasn't sure what to expect. Quite the pull but the SD didn't let us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

I recognize that sign!!! Been over Monarch Pass in 2010 going to Gunnison for an outfitted elk hunt. Driving our Suburban back then.

We were on our way back from Gunnison when I took that shot . . . and the photo in my sig was taken at Blue Mesa Of The Gunnison.

avvidclif

Inquiring minds want to know. How can that be the summit when there are taller mountains all around??? Sign misplaced maybe?

JohnD

Inquiring minds want to know. How can that be the summit when there are taller mountains all around??? Sign misplaced maybe?

That is the summit of the road . . . not the mountain.

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg ProwlerMonarchPassSig-P1010489.jpg

Both shots taken the same day . . .

travelin2

That is the summit of the road . . . not the mountain.

Both shots taken the same day . . .

Yep. The elevation of the pass is recorded on the road signs at the pass. Same thing back east here only we don't have but a few over 3000 ft

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Yep. The elevation of the pass is recorded on the road signs at the pass. Same thing back east here only we don't have but a few over 3000 ft

You're in the wrong part of PA.

travelin2

You're in the wrong part of PA.

Hey. We may not have any of the 3000 footers of the Laurel Highlands but our cabin sits at 2300 ft. Not bad for the Endless Mountain region of northern PA

JohnD

Our house is at 5900 feet . . . and we are not even in the mountains!