Visiting California

We are planning a cross country trip and will be in California in June but will have to store our camper somewhere close to San Francisco for 24 days while we fly home. I have been contacting all the storage facilities within an hour of SF and have not been successful in finding anyone who can give us a spot. I am considering just booking a campground for the time but it is really expensive to do that. Has anyone run into this problem and have any other suggestions that I might not have though of?

danemayer

I don't know the area, but I have seen campgrounds in other places that offer storage at a lower rate.

mlpeloquin

We are planning a cross country trip and will be in California in June but will have to store our camper somewhere close to San Francisco for 24 days while we fly home. I have been contacting all the storage facilities within an hour of SF and have not been successful in finding anyone who can give us a spot. I am considering just booking a campground for the time but it is really expensive to do that. Has anyone run into this problem and have any other suggestions that I might not have though of?

RV sales in the Bay Area is high do to the amount of retirees. Then a major military contractor, who let employees and retirees store for a cheep price on the property, eliminated the retirees from that storage area. I found out two months early do to friends who got an internal memo. I was lucky. Could only find one storage space near me and ten else where and not so nice storage lots. The next option would have been San Benito Thousand Trails an hour away. There is a new RV storage area being built at Beta Bell RV Park (831) 623-2202. http://www.betabel.com/ They are working on it even with all the rain and anticipate completion in March. There will be a lot of RV storage there. Beta Bell is located south of Gilroy and near San Juan Bautista just off of 101. Easy to travel to Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and about an hour form the San Jose Airport.

Thanks for the tip on the new RV storage area. I will give them a call to see if this might be an opportunity.

RV sales in the Bay Area is high do to the amount of retirees. Then a major military contractor, who let employees and retirees store for a cheep price on the property, eliminated the retirees from that storage area. I found out two months early do to friends who got an internal memo. I was lucky. Could only find one storage space near me and ten else where and not so nice storage lots. The next option would have been San Benito Thousand Trails an hour away. There is a new RV storage area being built at Beta Bell RV Park (831) 623-2202. http://www.betabel.com/ They are working on it even with all the rain and anticipate completion in March. There will be a lot of RV storage there. Beta Bell is located south of Gilroy and near San Juan Bautista just off of 101. Easy to travel to Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and about an hour form the San Jose Airport.

Gaffer

Try Emigrant Storage, Howard Drive, Sparks, NV. It is right next to Sparks Marina RV Park. They have a large RV storage area. Just fly out of Reno if they have space for you.

wdk450

You might try Thousand Trails Minden Lake near Sacramento. I don't think you have to be a TT member to use their storage.

Also, check Craigslist under the "Housing: Parking/Storage" section at the top of the main pages for the many local Craigslists in Northern California. There are just a few RV storage listings in that section. I know of 2 secure indoor RV storage operations in Sacramento, but that can be pricey.

Warning: I had an older Toyota RV stored in one of the outdoor storage operations in Sacramento about a year, and it had a broken cab window, broken large rear window, missing dash radio, and missing small TV when I finally removed it. Rental owner disclaims everything when you sign up, and this happened even though there was a caretaker RV on site (with dogs) less than 100 yards from my parked RV.

mikeandconnie

I normally store ours around Sacramento and fly out of SAC.I found it much more affordable. Google map list many storage places. It easy and many Airport Shuttles in California so you can park anywhere. PM me if you need help. I commuted from all around California for years.

Thanks for the reply and offer of help. One of the other posts recommended Betabel RV about an hour south of SF. They are opening a new storage area next month and I was able to secure a spot for the month I need it. Hopefully it works out.

I normally store ours around Sacramento and fly out of SAC.I found it much more affordable. Google map list many storage places. It easy and many Airport Shuttles in California so you can park anywhere. PM me if you need help. I commuted from all around California for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Bill. Hopefully the Betabel RV new storage area is better secured than the place you used in Sacramento.

You might try Thousand Trails Minden Lake near Sacramento. I don't think you have to be a TT member to use their storage.

Also, check Craigslist under the "Housing: Parking/Storage" section at the top of the main pages for the many local Craigslists in Northern California. There are just a few RV storage listings in that section. I know of 2 secure indoor RV storage operations in Sacramento, but that can be pricey.

Warning: I had an older Toyota RV stored in one of the outdoor storage operations in Sacramento about a year, and it had a broken cab window, broken large rear window, missing dash radio, and missing small TV when I finally removed it. Rental owner disclaims everything when you sign up, and this happened even though there was a caretaker RV on site (with dogs) less than 100 yards from my parked RV.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks PJ. I already have the flights as well as all the campgrounds booked for this trip so leaving from another area would cause quite a few changes. I think that we are all set in the SF area at a new storage facility and they were really reasonable in price, $75 a month.

Try Emigrant Storage, Howard Drive, Sparks, NV. It is right next to Sparks Marina RV Park. They have a large RV storage area. Just fly out of Reno if they have space for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tip. That could have worked but we did find another storage spot suggested by someone else and it is a little closer than Patterson.

Patterson, California.

Kit-Fox RV has over flow.

http://www.kitfoxrvpark.com/index.asp

We use them every year when we go back to spend a few months back home.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again. They are opening sometime in March and I was able to get a reservation for a spot in June. Hopefully it all works out. They were not sure on the price of the outdoor spots but they think they will be about $75 for the month. Not bad considering some of the places around SF we listing prices of $300.

Thanks for the tip on the new RV storage area. I will give them a call to see if this might be an opportunity.

rickandjoyce

Hi,
If you run into any trouble please let me know. Our daughter lives in San Mateo (15 minutes S. of San Fran) and I know how difficult it is to find a place there there doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There is a place near her house that stores RV's but we have never priced it. However, i will get you that info if the one you have doesn't work out.
Good luck,
Joyce

Thanks Joyce, I'll keep you in mind in case my storage reservation doesn't work out.

Hi,
If you run into any trouble please let me know. Our daughter lives in San Mateo (15 minutes S. of San Fran) and I know how difficult it is to find a place there there doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There is a place near her house that stores RV's but we have never priced it. However, i will get you that info if the one you have doesn't work out.
Good luck,
Joyce