Watch The Diesel Pumps

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Green Handles at BP fuel Stations:
Had an email from one of our Arizona Chapter members while traveling on the road.
He was in FL and stopped at a BP station for diesel....pulled out the green handle and proceeded to fill his tank..
He got about five miles down the road and had to call Good Sam..It appears BP is using green handles for their GAS not diesel.
$510 later his truck was back on the road.....
So word of Caution.......Make sure to read the pump signage before pumping....color handles may not always show the correct fuel.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: AZ Members Chat Room

BP uses yellow for diesel handles for some reason. Your friend is not the first I have heard of doing this. Actually I need 3 hands to count all of stories about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

My business partner did that a few months ago but only put half a tank before he noticed. We called the dealer and they told us to fill the rest with diesel and drive it easy. He drove it a few days (said it ran great) and then filled it again, no problems at all.

olcoon

I've noticed this in several different locations around. Seems to be mainly in the Eastern US, but it seems like we've run across it in other areas also. Kind of spotty, just have to pay attention.

scottyb

Happened to me in Austin about 15 years ago. I was PO'd and went inside to rant a little. When I walked out of the store, the guy on the other side of the island had just filled his diesel tank with gas too.

I once did the same thing in the early 90's, but I only filled 1 one of the dual tanks before I noticed. We all had dual tanks back then. I was able to drive away to somewhere I could empty the tank. I hated it when they stopped using factory dual tanks.

iaflatlander

Had my "Gasser" half filled when I noticed the green handle. Nearly had a stroke before I realized it wasn't diesel.

danemayer

Ran into a pump in SE Austin where the operator had placed a label above the gas nozzle with a large print message about the diesel bio-fuel content. I picked up that nozzle but stopped because something didn't feel right. Took a closer look and realized it wasn't the diesel nozzle. Went inside and told the cashier - he was satisfied that there was no problem.

MCTalley

I picked up the yellow gas handle (instead of the black diesel handle, go figure) at a station one time and inserted it in the filler. Fortunately when I pressed the diesel button to start the pump, nothing happened. After about 15 seconds of head scratching, I switched handles. Nothing like tossing a little non-conformity into your day.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always said there should be a federal standard of colors on fuel pumps. I have seen green on diesel and gasoline and yellow on gasoline and diesel. Got to read the labels.

HornedToad

The convenience stores in the Texas Panhandle are using the yellow handle for the new E85 Ethanol "Flex Fuel"

I switched from a gasser to diesel, so I am very careful at the pump to break habit and use the right nozzle.

danemayer

I have always said there should be a federal standard of colors on fuel pumps. I have seen green on diesel and gasoline and yellow on gasoline and diesel. Got to read the labels.

I think colors should not be used at all. Lots of people have deficient color vision and color coding doesn't work well for them.

olcoon

Since getting a diesel, it's also been my fear of grabbing the wrong nozzle. I've been driving the truck for so long now, I went to put gas in DW's car yesterday & almost freaked out because the pump didn't have diesel!

pegmikef

I topped off my OEM tank at the Pilot auto pumps in Van Horn, TX yesterday. I saw a yellow handle on the end pump and pulled into fill up. I was picking up the handle and noticed that it said Premium above the handle (there was a separate hose for each grade). I put it back and then saw that on the next island there was actually a separate pump clearly marked Diesel, but the handle and the color surrounding the nozzle holder was also yellow. Turned out that it was the only Diesel pump they had at the auto pumps side of the station. . . . scary.

piet10

I've noticed this in several different locations around. Seems to be mainly in the Eastern US, but it seems like we've run across it in other areas also. Kind of spotty, just have to pay attention.

BP in the Upper Midwest uses green handles for gas. That is why I never go to a BP station, I'm afraid I might "gas" up my truck in a forgetful moment.

Al

wdk450

I think colors should not be used at all. Lots of people have deficient color vision and color coding doesn't work well for them.

I think it would be nice if the modern pumps had a SPEAKER that said "Regular" or "Diesel" when the handle is removed from the pump. Maybe even the price per gallon you are paying. In this microprocessor-based world, this would be very simple.

Diamondjim

On the other side of the coin.............we will have our first diesel in about 2 weeks.
My wife is not the normal gas jockey on our vehicles, that being said, she filled our 2011 Durango with diesel when we had about 3K miles on it. Got about 8 miles, called me at work, she was riding a bucking bronco!
Had it towed to my mechanics shop for repair. $1450. later it was back on the road. In the Durango there are two fuel pumps, and both had to be replaced.
Now DW is really not liking having to "think" before putting gas in the car. YOU DO IT. AND I gladly do it. That was an expensive fill up, for sure.
Since we will be driving only a diesel shortly, will have to retrain both of us.