Water heater adjustment

eblansfield

After I returned from our first weekend trip in our new 2014 Big Country, I noticed that the side of the camper above the hot water heater was discolored. It was soot from exhaust which I was able to remove from the fiberglass siding but not the metal water heater cover. I did a little research and read about how to adjust the burner using slide adjuster. I went back out and looked at the burner and the adjuster was all the way open and the flame was burning yellow. That is how it came from the dealer. So, I made an adjustment until I had a nice blue flame and it was burning fairly quiet. However, when put the metal cover back on, it gets loud and doesn't sound like it is burning smoothly. I have tried various positions on the adjuster but every time I put the cover back on, I get the same thing. I don't seem to be getting soot on camper any more but the noise is annoying.

On the Sundance that I traded in, I could barely hear the hot water heater burning, so does this sound normal. I can take it back to the dealer but I was trying to avoid it if this is normal or if it is something simple fix. Any Ideas.

Rickhansen

I would recommend that your dealer check the gas pressure from your regulator. This takes some specialty instruments and know-how to perform. It sounds like your gas pressure is set too high causing an overly rich fuel air mixture. If that is the case, your stove, oven, and furnace are also likely affected.

Garypowell

I am not sure if you are out with the rig now but you could listen to other rigs around you. Noise is funny in that what annoys one might sound normal to someone else.

I know with my five rigs I could always hear the hot water heater fire off when turned on from inside. When "running" and on that side of the rig I can always hear the flame.

To me this is normal.

olcoon

On our 2011 Elk Ridge, it almost sounds like a jet taking off from the outside. You can hear it inside, but it's not obnoxious. When we have JHU, I always use the electric side, so seldom have any noise.

eblansfield

Thanks all. It is definitely louder than the one in the Sundance. We could always here it kick on from inside but not at this level. It is probably normal but I will get it checked out just to be safe.

hoefler

I would look for an obstruction in the burner tube and the flame tube. Most likely you have an insect nest of some sort.