Water in underbelly

Mrz

Just bought 2017 BigHorn 3575 three weeks ago on our shake down trip and found the coroplast bulging downward and water dripping through it
. Went under to confirm the bulge was heavy (water) and to my surprise found when I pushed up and let go I could feel and hear a tank move. Called dealer and I will be dropping it off on Monday.
Question - has this been an issue with BigHorn or isolated incident. What kind of insulation is under the floor and should it be replaced if it got wet? Really concerned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Mrz,

It's not very common for a tank to drop. I think the newer Bighorns have metal supports screwed into the frame like this Landmark 365. Sounds like the support's mounting screws might have sheared off.
Tank Support.jpg

Your insulation could be radiant foil, or batting, or both. The foil will dry out without any problems. Batting that's wet would need to be replaced.

You didn't mention whether this was in the front drop-frame section, or toward the rear of the coach. If in front, they should be able to drop the coroplast and put it back in place when the repair is complete. The bulge may remain however.

If the problem is at the rear, it's likely the fresh tank. Because of the way the coroplast is installed, they'll have to cut it to gain access. I'd suggest you talk to the techs about adding a piece of treated 1x6 between the frame members so when the coroplast is put back up, it can be screwed into the wood to close the seam. Then apply tape. Most dealers will make the cut and apply tape to close. Without the wood to screw into, the tape has a much harder job to keep a large seam closed.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I maybe wrong here but I believe the Big Horns DO NOT come with or have bat style insulation. In order to have bat style insulation I think you need to have the YETI package.

jbeletti

I messaged Tom M on this and learned that Bighorn comes with fiberglass insulation in the underbelly "when the Yeti package is optioned".

Mburtsvt

I’m following. I have a Landmark 365 Madison (2016) with a sagging section - and yes when I push up on it feels soggy. Another member at the Las Vegas Rally pointed it out to me. We have an appointment mid April to look at. The RV has been in storage for the winter. I sent an email with my concern to Heartland and my service dealer, so they are aware of the situation. Fortunately I’m still under warranty - for now.

sengli

By hand only...no drill. Take a 1/4" drill bit and pop thru the sagging area to let the water out. I do this on every place the coroplast sags. Quite often if you tow in a rain storm, water will get pushed into the belly as well.

David-and-Cheryl

It's not very common for a tank to drop. I think the newer Bighorns have metal supports screwed into the frame like this Landmark 365. Sounds like the support's mounting screws might have sheared off.

Our 2013 Landmark has the metal supports for the tanks. But when I had the underbelly off recently, I discovered that the supports for one of our gray water tanks had been installed too far apart. As a result, the tank had dropped through, and was supported only on one side by the frame. One of the two straps holding it in place had broken, and the tank was sagging into the coroplast. I moved the other metal support about 1 1/2" closer to the tank and re-screwed it to the frame to secure it and the tank.

That's not necessarily the OP's problem, but I just wanted to point out that a tank can sag due to a manufacturing defect. How my rig passed Heartland's QA is beyond me. It would have been obvious to anyone who looked at it.

Mrz

I dropped the unit off at the dealer on Monday and if you go underneath with all of the tanks empty and push up on the coroplast you can feel and hear the empty tank while pushing it up. Dealer speculated the brace let go or came undo and the tank dropped. When I questioned where the dripping water came from he replied it's probable a broken pipe going into the tank. Units at the dealer now and we're hoping for a quick repair,

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Units at the dealer now and we're hoping for a quick repair,

RV dealerships have the exact opposite meaning for the word 'quick' than what most of us here have for the same word. :p

Domi

Be VERY carefull if you do this even by hand. If the tank is off the support you WILL puncture it. If that does happen to you a great product called JB Wet Weld will fix the nice round hole in your tank. It works very well for this kind of repair.

On the NT tomorrow I take the bottom down for the third time trying to get the fresh water tank to stay in place. If I don't get it this time I will take it into the dealer but I think I know how to get the sling better this time. Been a real pain but I have a plan now thanks to my wonderful wife who can visualize things better than I can.

Good luck with yours, and don't just pop holes in the bottom without know for sure if a tank is resting on it.

John

Mrz

Well, I picked up the camper and the dealer mentioned it was a leaking fitting at the black tank. He also said the tanks are designed to move 2-3 inches. My guess is 2-3 inch movement is the expansion and contraction when you fill it with liquids in it. He also said it's normal for a tank to be touching the coroplast. I'm concerned!

Domi

Did the dealer say if the tank was off it's supports? If not then I would guess you are okay. I know in my NT the tanks will move up and down at least an inch or two when empty. When mine was off the rails it was sagging the coroplast and it would not move at all since it was stuck between the rails. Just my own expierance, YMMV.

John