water pressure regulator ?

torque1911

Does my Anderson 4way valve have it built In ? Is it mandatory to have one & what pressure should it be set @ ? I noticed the none adjustable r preset ? Can I make it cheaper myself ? Looking for advice and opinions !
Sorry for all the questions new @ this stuff & want to do it right the first time !
Thanks in advance, this site is awesome !

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Both basic regulators will do the job, but I'd spend the few extra bucks and get it with the gauge. That way you'll know what pressure is coming to your rig. With my filter system, I have the N55BG regulator after the filters and another gauge in front of the filters. Thus I can read any pressure drop due to filter clogging. Depending on where you camp, water pressure and quality may or may not be a problem.

Another handy device is an inline water meter, especially if you fill your water tank from a hose or add water to the black tank via the tank flusher. Also gives an indication of how much water your filters (if you have them) have processed, since they do have a service life based on gallonage.

http://shop.watermeters.com/DLJGHT-Hot-Water-Garden-Hose-Meter-DLJGHT-HOT.htm

danemayer

torque1911,

There are 2 specs on pressure regulators. There's the water pressure where you want to be 40-50psi. They all do that. Some are adjustable. Some not. Some have gauges.

The other spec is water flow. Cheap regulators have very low flow; sometimes less than 1/2 gallon per minute. Makes it hard to get the shampoo rinsed out of your hair. The more expensive regulators have a flow rate of 3-5 gallons per minute.

aatauses

Great question,
You ask if you need one---YES--do not hook up your rig without one. Some parks will tell you they have high pressure, others will say it is "fine", others do not know----protect yourself and your rig by getting one. The ones mentioned above will do a great job.
al
currently in Kennewick, WA

RVNEWBIE

I know some people will not agree with me, but we do not run a regulator on our new Key Largo. We do run a filter, which seems to limit the inflow a good bit. The inlet where the hose connects says 110psi max on ours. I know of no where that is going to have that kind of water pressure from a spigot.

Good Travels

Joe

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I know some people will not agree with me, but we do not run a regulator on our new Key Largo. We do run a filter, which seems to limit the inflow a good bit. The inlet where the hose connects says 110psi max on ours. I know of no where that is going to have that kind of water pressure from a spigot.

Good Travels

Joe

Just my humble opinion, but you are asking for trouble. I was in a park this winter in Florida that advertised 90psi at their spigots and warned of the need for a regulator. I wouldn't trust the fittings in my RV above 65-70psi. My good regulator quit working so I'm using one of the cheap 40-45psi, low flow rate regulators right now, but will switch back to the Watts as soon as I get a chance.

danemayer

Good Travels

Joe

RVNEWBIE,

The label you're relying on may be something related to the supplier's part. It's not a rating for faucets, pex crimps, plastic fittings, etc. The manual that came with your trailer probably has a large warning not to exceed 60psi.

We don't have to agree - you're free to run without a regulator. But if you have water leak problems down the road, you'll know why.

Birchwood

I purchase a $15 regulator each year and although the water pressure is low we have never had a leak.Not sure how the RV plumbing fittings are rated but heard it is low.Maybe a fulltime rig should have residential plumbing .I think current RV plumbing requires a pressure regulator but it is a nuisance for people that often live in their RVs.

danemayer

I purchase a $15 regulator each year and although the water pressure is low we have never had a leak.Not sure how the RV plumbing fittings are rated but heard it is low.Maybe a fulltime rig should have residential plumbing .I think current RV plumbing requires a pressure regulator but it is a nuisance for people that often live in their RVs.
My house has copper plumbing and the pipes and pipe connections can no doubt take higher pressure, but it's still regulated to 45psi. There are still things like toilet valves and faucets to consider. And don't forget those aging washing machine hoses. If you run your home at high pressure, I'm sure you'll have an exciting life.

Birchwood

Ok so is the water pressure in parks regulated before its piped to the RV water hookups.That is the question??If it is maybe we don't require a regulator at the fawcett.Maybe a pressure regulator is just another RV item we don't need.Can anyone explain?

danemayer

Ok so is the water pressure in parks regulated before its piped to the RV water hookups.That is the question??If it is maybe we don't require a regulator at the fawcett.Maybe a pressure regulator is just another RV item we don't need.Can anyone explain?
There are thousands of parks managed by thousands of different people and companies and I've seen no standards for what RV parks do. So no doubt some regulate their water pressure. No doubt some do not. How many of each? Who knows.

I've been to many parks where on arrival they let me know that a regulator was essential because their pressure was very high. I think "very high" can be interpreted as meaning they don't regulate the pressure to a safe level.

jimtoo

Normally the water pressure at RV parks are what ever the city, county or water system supplies. Not regulated to 40psi. I have seen some as high as 120# and some as low as 30#, before my expensive reg quit working. I would never hook up with out a pressure regulator,,, whether it be expensive or a cheap-o. On some spickets, fawcetts, or water hydrants you will see a small fitting already on the outlet... it is not a regulator.. it is a back flow preventer.

I actually use one of the cheap-o's and have been very happy with it. My first good, expensive regulator with gage, I took off placed on the post with water outlet and electric,,, hooked up hose to backflush tank... drove off,, did not even get out of park.. went back.. regulator was gone..checked with folks on both sides of where I was camped,,, "NO BODY EVER SAW IT".. and this was at a nice park. My next expensive regulator worked about 1&1/2 years.. then would not pass water.. so I went back to the cheap-o.

Jim M

wdk450

I have blown out my black tank flusher atmospheric breaker valve due to presumed high water pressure. My storage compartment was flooded and my charger/converter ruined ($230). All this happened at an overnight stop in the middle of a long RV trip, in a town with virtually no services. This wasn't a good situation. I now had no 12 volt charging overnight, all the lights are 12 volt, and if your 12 volts gets too low your refrigerator logic board shuts it down. The next night I was in an area with a WalMart and bought a $50 battery charger as a stopgap measure. The following day I stopped mid-trip to buy a new charger/converter. The next day I crawled into the access space to change out the converter. A couple of days later I crawled into the access space to saw an valve removal hole in the wood wall flooring and yank down the breaker valve from high behind the toilet in the wall, replace the valve with a check valve, and re-assemble it.

All this because I didn't have a simple water pressure regulator at the faucet on my hose.

MTPockets

Good Travels

Joe
. Mountain View RV Resort in Heber City, UT does. When I made my reservation, They told me to bring a regulator.

bsuds

I purchased a high flow 50psi regulator from a plumbing supply place. It was not expensive and I just built it in with my filter. Works well.

slborba

torque1911,

There are 2 specs on pressure regulators. There's the water pressure where you want to be 40-50psi. They all do that. Some are adjustable. Some not. Some have gauges.

The other spec is water flow. Cheap regulators have very low flow; sometimes less than 1/2 gallon per minute. Makes it hard to get the shampoo rinsed out of your hair. The more expensive regulators have a flow rate of 3-5 gallons per minute.

Dan: Which regulator do you use and which do you recommend? DW needs all the water flow she can get.
Thanks,
Steve

danemayer

Dan: Which regulator do you use and which do you recommend? DW needs all the water flow she can get.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

We have a Watts 263A from the RVWaterFilterStore. Make sure you don't let it freeze or you'll lose the pressure gauge. You may also want to look into an Oygenics Shower Head.

I notice the RV Water Filter Store is offering a new product at a lower price: 55 psi high-flow rate non-adjustable regulator for $24.95. Haven't heard any feedback on this, but I may take a look at it myself.