Well there goes our first rally

Padiddle

We had planned on making it to our first ever rally in Brunswick, GA this year. With just over a year on the clock of ownership and temps in the high 90s/low 100s I've been living in fear of the AC unit going belly up.

I hate being a pessimist. But when things go wrong, at least you're not terribly shocked by it. lol My inquiry to Heartland concerning any warranty work/time on the unit has so far gone...unnoticed, and may have to be repeated.

I guess my question for the group is, I'm curious, has anyone ever had a commercial/residential HVAC tech repair a rooftop unit? I am not really happy with the repair work done at my dealer shop, and considering my issue and the time of year, I may get a better turnover time if I go commercial or possibly mobile tech?

In case anyone has had an issue similar, the fan starts and runs fine, but the compressor seems to be short-cycling on and off. It tries to start, but changes its mind.

Thoughts?

One o' those things.

Dave and Susan

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

Your Heartland warranty may have been just one year, but the A/c warranty is probably two years. I would contact the A/C mfg and get instructions from them for getting a mobile tech to check it out. My guess is they'll replace it.

olcoon

We had issues with our AC after Heartland's warranty expired. Called Dometic & it had a 2 yr warranty. As we were work camping at the time, had a mobile RV tech come out. Dometic paid for the repair, but I had to pay for the mobile RV tech.

kg_nc

We had issues with our AC after Heartland's warranty expired. Called Dometic & it had a 2 yr warranty. As we were work camping at the time, had a mobile RV tech come out. Dometic paid for the repair, but I had to pay for the mobile RV tech.

Feel lucky. My rear unit died 2 weeks ago, just a little more than 1 yr old. Can't get in to service shop in Raleigh or Greensboro until the first week of August, and that's just for diagnostics. Additional 2 weeks for repair. Not pleased with Dometic at the moment. Too hot to limp along on the front unit. 2015 Bighorn 3160EL.

Padiddle

Wow! Mostly good news! Thanks all who took the time! Much much appreciated!
And thanks for moving the post to its rightful spot.

Padiddle

Folks, I really appreciate the help with a question that hadI calmed down a little, I probably could’ve found the answer with a well placedsearch. Thank you. I may get to the rally after all! If I can get the belly dryby then, but that’s another post.
Took the coach to Camping World Jacksonville this morning. Arrived 9 am. Theytook it right in, and by 1 pm I had it hooked back up and heading home!
Problem was caused by a
burned outcapacitor
on the compressor. He replaced it and it seems to be workingagain. Said he’s never seen one burned out before.
He also said something else: He pointed out that the rear thermostat wasn’t receivinga signal from the bedroom. Zone 2 he called it. I had to tell him that thebedroom has its own thermostat, to which he replied that zone 2 is wired toSOMEthing.
I hadn’t been running them in “Auto”. Simply
Cool in summer, and Heatin winter. Am I doing this wrong? SHOULD I be using the auto function? I simplythought that it would start either ac or heat depending on inside temp, butwhen I tried once, it actually ran both!

mlpeloquin

Had nothing but trouble on auto. Set temp and AC when hot, furnace when cold. Everything works well that way for me.

gasman

Camp Socializer
With my Dometic thermostats, the top button controls the fan, the next one controls the A/C, and the bottom button controls the furnace. Set the fan setting to AUTO. If it is set to LO or HI, when the furnace comes on, the A/C fan will also come on.