We're new 3260 Owners...

kowAlski631

Having worked with auto dealers for many years - some of whom also sold RVs - I believe there is no comparison between the industries.

New auto dealers may have only one brand represented on their new dealership lot. New RV dealers may have several brands on their lot.

New auto dealers may make their own determination of warranty qualified repairs. RV dealers must receive approval from the manufacturer.

New auto dealers work on their brands no matter where the vehicle was purchased. RV dealers are not required to do repairs on units purchased elsewhere.

Technicians at new auto dealers are trained at approved training facilities for their brand & have continuing training quarterly. RV techs do receive broad based training, but I don't believe training specific to any one product.

Until & unless new RV dealers are set up with the same business model as new auto dealers, we will still be discussing warranty problems, lack of dealer responses regarding problems, denial of assistance for units purchased from other dealers, etc.

Just my observations & thoughts from the past 20 years of experience.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

kowAlski631

Does anyone really expect that better quality control would ever include preheating the convection oven for 20 minutes or so to 425 and verfiying the temp is correct? If the appliance was for your home and was purchased from Best Buy, would anyone expect Best Buy to test the temperature accuracy of the oven before selling it? I doubt it.

Agree totally. We've returned improperly functioning appliances over the years that we've purchased new in box from major retailers from our S&B homes.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Realist

Does anyone really expect that better quality control would ever include preheating the convection oven for 20 minutes or so to 425 and verfiying the temp is correct? If the appliance was for your home and was purchased from Best Buy, would anyone expect Best Buy to test the temperature accuracy of the oven before selling it? I doubt it.
A person with unrealistic expectations might. :)

Realist

JanAndBill

I agree that would be unreasonble, to expect, but to determine the microwave/oven comes on when you turn it on would not be unreasonable. In our case to expect the doors to close and latch would not have been unreasonable. For that matter to expect everything in the coach to operate would not be unreasonable. When we picked up our previous SOB unit, they told us upfront that we needed to allow a minimum of 1 hour for the walk through. When we got there the person doing the walk through knew the unit front to rear and it was hooked up to power and water. He flipped every switch, opened every door, turned everything on and off and answered our questions. We had 1 minor warranty issue with that unit. In comparison when we picked up our BH, neither of the two assigned for the walk through knew much about the operation of our unit, it was not hooked up to power and water, and questions went unanswered. The two dealers here were pretty close to the same size, and each represented multiple lines. I'm just saying that Heartland has such a great brand that could be so much better if there was a little more attention to some of the little details.

We are 2014 Bighorn 3610 owners and we have had the same type of problems that you have had. We bought our unit new in August 2013 and were told what great construction it had and since we bought it at Camping World there would be no problem getting things fixed if we had trouble. Well, I can tell you that has not been so!!! By January we had a list of over 17 items that needed to be repaired and that doesn't include the drawer bottoms that my husband fixed (they were attached by staples and as soon as things were put in them the bottom came loose)....
I'm sorry you have had to go through all this. I feel your pain.

I am so grateful that my DH has the time, skills and patience to fix almost everything. The dealer is hours away and he doesn't trust them to do proper work anyway.

Our dealer didn't charge for the PDI. We assume because they didn't actually do one!!! :confused:

danemayer

I agree that would be unreasonble, to expect, but to determine the microwave/oven comes on when you turn it on would not be unreasonable. In our case to expect the doors to close and latch would not have been unreasonable. For that matter to expect everything in the coach to operate would not be unreasonable. When we picked up our previous SOB unit, they told us upfront that we needed to allow a minimum of 1 hour for the walk through. When we got there the person doing the walk through knew the unit front to rear and it was hooked up to power and water. He flipped every switch, opened every door, turned everything on and off and answered our questions. We had 1 minor warranty issue with that unit. In comparison when we picked up our BH, neither of the two assigned for the walk through knew much about the operation of our unit, it was not hooked up to power and water, and questions went unanswered. The two dealers here were pretty close to the same size, and each represented multiple lines. I'm just saying that Heartland has such a great brand that could be so much better if there was a little more attention to some of the little details.

I was with you all the way to the last sentence where you blame Heartland. As you described it, the people at the second dealership didn't do the job the way they're supposed to. That's a dealer choice - a bad one - but one that Heartland can't just snap their fingers to fix.

A lot of people hold up the auto industry as a comparison and expect RV manufacturers to exert the same level of control. But RV dealers are independent and often handle multiple brands. The manufacturers don't have the kind of leverage that auto manufacturers have - where for example they can control compensation for the dealer employees and drive lousy employees out of the job. If an RV manufacturer asks more than the dealer wants to do, they have a choice of dropping the brand and selling something else.

I do think it would make sense to do a little functional testing before the RV leaves the plant. Verifying that the appliances operate seems like a reasonable thing to do - and perhaps they do so already. And I also think the dealer should be doing the same, and more, before you show up for the walk through. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any surprises at the walk through and the dealer should know the product. And by the way, that was my experience at the out-of-state "wholesaler" where we bought. Based on what I've heard from friends who bought from the large local chain, we were treated better.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was with you all the way to the last sentence where you blame Heartland. As you described it, the people at the second dealership didn't do the job the way they're supposed to. That's a dealer choice - a bad one - but one that Heartland can't just snap their fingers to fix.

A lot of people hold up the auto industry as a comparison and expect RV manufacturers to exert the same level of control. But RV dealers are independent and often handle multiple brands. The manufacturers don't have the kind of leverage that auto manufacturers have - where for example they can control compensation for the dealer employees and drive lousy employees out of the job. If an RV manufacturer asks more than the dealer wants to do, they have a choice of dropping the brand and selling something else.

I do think it would make sense to do a little functional testing before the RV leaves the plant. Verifying that the appliances operate seems like a reasonable thing to do - and perhaps they do so already. And I also think the dealer should be doing the same, and more, before you show up for the walk through. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any surprises at the walk through and the dealer should know the product. And by the way, that was my experience at the out-of-state "wholesaler" where we bought. Based on what I've heard from friends who bought from the large local chain, we were treated better.

The do test things before the unit goes out the factory door, I've seen a factory checklist, and the "red tape" marking unacceptable items on a coach near the end of the line. But I can also imagine that if a "deadline" is approaching, some things might get "hurried through." I also have seen units that were pulled from the line, marked "not ready to ship" for a variety of reasons... they sit outside the factory waiting for who-knows-what... So I know sometimes things do not go "as planned" through the assembly line.

tmcran

When I got my unit 5 yrs ago there were concerns re: HL QC and lack of dealer attention to make ready. After reading threads like this and they're more than this one it does not appear to be a lot of improvement in these areas. I'm not a big brand loyal person. In the future I will certainly be looking very hard at some other brands besides HL..

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I think it's important to keep in mind while reading this and other threads like it that Heartland produces thousands of coaches that you never hear about that are relatively trouble free (ours included). The first time I was at the factory I was aw struck at the number of RV's line up.

tmcran

I think it's important to keep in mind while reading this and other threads like it that Heartland produces thousands of coaches that you never hear about that are relatively trouble free (ours included). The first time I was at the factory I was aw struck at the number of RV's line up.

Agree. However, because your don't hear about a unit doesn't mean its trouble free or working properly. In the last 4 years I have run into 3 Cyclone owners that have had windows installed upside down. When I inquired if they were familiar with the HL website the reply was no. The first one I ran into was in 09. One in 2011 and most recent 2013 at a Wal-Mart in Eastland,Tx. Just saying that the owners should not have been the one to catch this.

It was all the good reviews that got us interested in a Bighorn in the first place. The ones we looked at at RV shows and dealerships were much better quality than other brands (who must not be named). Heartland has a great reputation. And, I perused this very forum to get an idea of the various models in actual usage.

That being said, some things you can't see at the dealer will show up as soon as one starts using the unit. (The slide-out weather stripping falling out was the first thing I saw when DH drove it up the driveway.) The irony is that much of the materials are of good to very good quality. Under the hood, the workmanship leaves something to be desired. At least in our 2014 3260.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The first one I ran into was in 09. One in 2011 and most recent 2013 at a Wal-Mart in Eastland,Tx. Just saying that the owners should not have been the one to catch this.

I'm not suggesting that the ones we hear about on the forum are the only one's with problems. I'm not even suggesting there isn't room for improvement (there always is). The only point I was trying to make is Heartland builds a boat load of RV's, and the growth of the company has been impressive. These two things don't happen without a very happy customer base.

JanAndBill

As the previous poster stated human nature means people are more apt to compain of a problem, than to tell of their good experiences. Dan if you believe I'm laying blame on anyone, you're missing my point. Maybe it's just me, or the 40 years of owning my own business that forged in me a fierce sense of how important brand name recognition was and how easy it was to have it tarnished. Anything I could do to increase the customer's opinion of my product meant more sales in the end. The problem, as I see it, is industry wide, when it comes to dealers. My comments were not criticism of Heartland, but a comment as to how they could move ahead of the pack. It pains me to see negative comments especially over minor issues that should never have happened in the first place. On the good dealer/bad dealer remark, as a manufacturer do I really want to hold my customer responsible for determining the suitablility of the dealer selling my product??? As a leader in the field Heartland could do a lot by providing better oversight on dealer qualifications, providing better training and education in their product line, and establishing quality control checks on the dealer end to insure that units are prechecked before the customer takes possession.

Just an update on our 2014 Bighorn 3260. We went on out third trip recently. DH has worked on probably a dozen more issues. The LED ceiling lights were all full of bits of styrofoam insulation and had to be vacuumed out. These same bits keep coming out of the vents every time we use the heat or AC. Even though he vacuumed all the ducts with his shopvac. It is a good thing Heartland provides a vacuum, it is sorely needed! On this recent trip the AC/Heat units decided to die. DH could not fix this problem, so it will be going in for service for the first time. It's a long drive. We are even more disappointed with this unit. It never should have left the factory like this.
Every few weeks, we ask eachother what number (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being great) we would rate the unit. I started out with 3 and he was at 7. Now I am at about five and he is down to the 5. I asked him if we could please get rid of this and get something else after a couple of years. Not a Heartland product, for sure. I dread meeting up with any other Bighorn owners in person. I truly miss our old Aljo trailer. For the record, I will only post in this thread. I have no plan on dumping on other 3260 threads or going all over the net bashing Heartland. I do need to vent somewhere, and this thread is the only place.

danemayer

Just an update on our 2014 Bighorn 3260. On this recent trip the AC/Heat units decided to die. DH could not fix this problem, so it will be going in for service for the first time. It's a long drive.
Do you feel like sharing what happened to your AC/Heat units? Maybe someone can help you fix them and avoid the long drive.

jbeletti

J...I dread meeting up with any other Bighorn owners in person....

Very sorry that you're still having issues with your Bighorn. But please don't fear meeting up with other Bighorn owners at a campground. Heartland product owners are just like you - super people.

Very sorry that you're still having issues with your Bighorn. But please don't fear meeting up with other Bighorn owners at a campground. Heartland product owners are just like you - super people.
I have no doubt about that! :) What I meant was, that meeting up with other Bighorn owners would be uncomfortable, because, at this point, we have not had a good experience with our unit. Folks are going to ask, Hey, how do you like your Bighorn? The answer would be a resounding, Not so much! With details supplied upon request.

The disappointment continues...

DH dropped the Bighorn off at the dealer where we bought it (Giant RV in Colton, CA), to have the AC/Heater fixed. That was two weeks ago. He called once and got the "The part is on order" story. They have never called us to update us on the status of the repairs.

We were planning a road trip starting May 5th. It isn't looking too likely now.

I really, really miss our old reliable Aljo. Not glamorous, but everything worked!

It is especially depressing because we had to put our 16-year-old cat to sleep last Fall. We thought we'd be traveling a lot after she had passed away. That's why we bought a fancy, new rig. Now, we are just stuck here.

Last edited:

sengli

We also have a 3260. Ours is going on 1.5 years old now, we are occasional campers. We still are getting the foam, and sawdust out the ducts, and cabinets. No big deal really. Had some small plumbing issue's, like loose fittings and one cracked plastic bypass valve. So far we are still liking our unit. You will work out the rough spots and then you should be O.K.

Help!

UPDATE 5/2/14

DH just called the dealer. They are still "waiting for the part." What the heck?? Giant RV in Colton, CA has had the unit since April 15th.

I guess we won't be leaving on our long-anticipated Oregon trip on Monday as planned. :(

Seriously, what should we do now? Would calling Heartland do any good? Is there a certain person who can help? What is the best number?

We didn't think we could get much more disappointed and now this.

Can anyone help? Please?

ETA: I just emailed Jim Beletti and also Heartland.