What 2014 diesel truck and SRW or DRW ?

whp4262

Ok, I'd like add our real world info from our first trip. NY to FL 1,364 miles and started with a full tank of diesel and DEF. The fuel mileage was 9mpg. The DEF usage very poor. I used 3 more 2-1/2 gallon containers to get to my destination. I buy these at Wal Mart for $11.97 each. So I used 7-1/2 gallons on top of the full DEF tank on departure. Coming home I used 1-DEF jug less. I'm not getting the numbers stated here. Great comfortable truck but very costly to use. Around town/no towing seems to be 16mpg. Mike

16mpg around town sounds about right and is what I get with my 2013 Duramax dually. The amount of DEF you used on your trip doesn't sound right and I agree with the others that a trip to the dealer is in order. If your truck is actually going into regen then it is also injecting diesel into the exhaust to raise the temperature at the same time that it's injecting urea so that will hurt the overall mileage. If the truck is not going into regen then maybe it's just a leaking DEF injector or something. I haven't towed the Cyclone any distance yet but I will be in June, about 3000 miles. I will post my results from the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdtimeround

Called the dealer 2 weeks ago . They were going to contact the factory ? I'm in the middle of extending my garage 2' because of Heartlands 38'2'' to pin measurement. Even if you add a foot to the pin for the nose, the 3110 is 40'4''. This thing is causing the exact opposite reaction of what it is supposed to do, relieve stress. Add physical labor for repairs and $$$$$. I thought it seemed extreme on the DEF, THX.

1_oldgoat

I just traded in an '07 Ram 3500 srw on a new leftover 2013 Ram 3500 drw, the 07 was a beast for towing our new Gateway, no problems over any pass we took, mileage averaged 12 towing, 70-75mph, if i stayed 65 or slower it picked up 1-2mpg, can't say just yet what the 2013 will get but supposed to have more weight capacity all the way around compared to the srw. DEF is new to me so not sure how that will affect mileage, dealer said it actualy helped but i don't see how since it goes into exhaust, not the engine.
'07 had a leveling kit on the front end so needed air bags to get the front back down while hooked up to the trailer, i don't believe i will neex em.on the dually, have to tow a bit first. I plan on an intake, exhaust and tuner on the new truck, i had al of that on the old unit and it helped, feels like the new truck is a slug stock but its rated higher hp and torque than the old one was stock so kind of excited to see how much difference it will make on the new one.
The drw drives and rides like a dream compared to the srw 3500, but it did need shocks and ball joints when i let it go but i don't remember it ever being as smooth on the road as the new rig, i am thinking the new front end configuration is makeing a huge difference, no more coil over shock, the new rig has the shock and coil spring seperate, i don't plan on a leveling kit either or going with the oversize tires, this looks good as it sits, so some fender flares, different wheels and i am good to go, it really is a good looking truck for a dually, alot of electronics so i need to watch alot of how to videos!!
Marcus

whp4262

I just traded in an '07 Ram 3500 srw on a new leftover 2013 Ram 3500 drw, the 07 was a beast for towing our new Gateway, no problems over any pass we took, mileage averaged 12 towing, 70-75mph, if i stayed 65 or slower it picked up 1-2mpg, can't say just yet what the 2013 will get but supposed to have more weight capacity all the way around compared to the srw. DEF is new to me so not sure how that will affect mileage, dealer said it actualy helped but i don't see how since it goes into exhaust, not the engine.
'07 had a leveling kit on the front end so needed air bags to get the front back down while hooked up to the trailer, i don't believe i will neex em.on the dually, have to tow a bit first. I plan on an intake, exhaust and tuner on the new truck, i had al of that on the old unit and it helped, feels like the new truck is a slug stock but its rated higher hp and torque than the old one was stock so kind of excited to see how much difference it will make on the new one.
The drw drives and rides like a dream compared to the srw 3500, but it did need shocks and ball joints when i let it go but i don't remember it ever being as smooth on the road as the new rig, i am thinking the new front end configuration is makeing a huge difference, no more coil over shock, the new rig has the shock and coil spring seperate, i don't plan on a leveling kit either or going with the oversize tires, this looks good as it sits, so some fender flares, different wheels and i am good to go, it really is a good looking truck for a dually, alot of electronics so i need to watch alot of how to videos!!
Marcus

The newer diesels have a particulate filter that traps soot. The early Dodges pumped extra diesel into the exhaust to raise the temperature enough to burn the soot out of the filter. Later they changed to DEF injection so they still have to pump extra fuel into the exhaust but not as much which is supposed to help mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1_oldgoat

From what little i know and from past experience with my '07, when the dpf would get dirty the system would dump fuel into the exhaust system and burn or regen to clean the filter, most of my driving was freeway so for the majority of time i didn't cycle through alot of the regen's, in town however it seemed like it was in regen mode all the time and you could watch the fuel guage drop when it was cycling through one. The new stuff, DEF or urea is supposed to help clean the exhaust and turn nox into carbon dioxide and water vapor so less pollutants supposedly, i could never figure out how burning 5 gallons of diesel in a regen was lowering emissions....i do plan on leaving the dpf and egr system on this truck as i did my last one, just doing dpf back exhaust, intake and tuner, hopefuly that helps with mileage a bit

Bohemian

The regen is to clean (regenerate) the soot filter. It turns the trapped soot (carbon plus hydrocarbons (fuel)) from incomplete fuel combustion into CO2 gas and water vapor. It has nothing to do with the DEF.

The urea in the DEF is used to create ammonia (in the heat of the combustion chamber) which reacts with NOx in the catalytic converter to produce water and N2. Reducing the NOx emissions.
Simplest combustion theory, ideal stoichiometric combustion: In this theory you mix the exact amount of fuel necessary to consume all the oxygen introduced into the combustion chamber and the exact amount of oxygen necessary to consume all the fuel introduced into the combustion chamber (the exact ideal stoichiometric ratio of fuel to oxygen (from air). All the fuel and all the oxygen are consumed to produce the maximum amount of energy and no products of combustion other than water vapor and CO2.

Sadly, it almost works that way, but not completely. Some of the fuel does not burn leaving soot (carbon and hydrocarbon) pollutants. Some of the N2 in the air does burn (with the O2) to create NOx emissions. Also, at low compression ratios that do not require premium fuel, combustion is less than 100% efficient. Even with lean air to fuel rations (overstoichiometric ratios) combustion is not 100% complete, and there are increases in NOx emissions.

Thus
We have higher compression ratios which increase efficiency but require premium (high octane) fuel.
We have variable ignition systems to prevent knock while using regular fuel in high compression engines.
We have sophisticated fuel injection, vaporization, and mixing systems to assure uniform charge in the combustion chamber.
We have a fuel rich region to insure ignition.
We have knock sensors to detect knock and adjust timing and fuel/air to prevent knock dynamically.

Or, in reality, it's more complicated than the simplest theory to get good fuel economy (efficiency) and low emissions.Getting clean diesel engines has been more complex and less developed than the gas engines.

Technology will progress, become more effective, more reliable, and less intrusive with time and experience.
Then we will have electric cars and trucks, or perhaps hydrogen.