what About Goodyear G114

Swagems

Hello I have been reading a lot about the Towmax tires and im a bit nervous my trailer is a 2014 Rw418 and has around 2200 miles ( about 7 trip to the dune and the lake) on the tires plus what ever miles to get the trailer to Utah. The tires looks great I have the air pressure at 80 psi.

So I guess the question is im looking at good year G114 215/75/17.5 which means I need to buy wheels and tires at around $3800.00 do I need that much of a upgrade for a part time rver (longest trip is about 700 miles) or is there something else out there .
I did some research on the g614 235 85 16 and was told with 3 axles the tires Where going to wear uneven do to the side walls ,Im so confused you pay Thousand of dollars for new Rv Trailers and they put cheap Tires on Them.
Also where could I sell my used trailer tires and wheel.
Thank

wdk450

Swagems:
I would go talk to your nearest Les Schwab Tires. They stand behind whatever they sell. I have the St 285R 16 LRG tires that they sourced in the Geostar brand after my original Freestars started going South. I have been very happy with these tires, and felt secure in the extensive Les Schwab network throughout the Northwest.
You can always sell your tires on Craigslist.

MTPockets

Unsure about the three axle comment, but any uneven wear would occur on any tire if wheels are misaligned. The G614 would be an upgrade, but if you show no signs of tire wear, your alignment is good. Lots of reported problems though with Towmax tires that would warrant being nervous.

Mburtsvt

Swagems:
I would go talk to your nearest Les Schwab Tires. They stand behind whatever they sell. I have the St 285R 16 LRG tires that they sourced in the Geostar brand after my original Freestars started going South. I have been very happy with these tires, and felt secure in the extensive Les Schwab network throughout the Northwest.
You can always sell your tires on Craigslist.

Jim:

I use Les Schwab for my cars. Great people. I don't think they sell G114. This would be my first choice for rv tires.

Jim.Allison

You have an 18000 lb GVWR vehicle, with 20% +/- on the pin. leaving 14400 of "nominal loading" the triple axles, or 2400 lbs per wheel when fully loaded. The tandem axles rigs are running about 3100 lbs "nominal" at 15500 GVWR. So as you can see each of your wheels is considerably less loaded than the tandems.

Having said that, the ST235/80R 16-E Towmax tires are destined to failure in my opinion, and here is why I think that.

They are rated at 3520 lbs and many Towmax tires have failed while only having about 3100 lbs load. Mine failed within 1800 miles of leaving Ohio. The rig was new and had nothing but a couple of suitcases in it, as a new owner I followed all the rules and never operated over 65 miles per hour, and the tires were properly inflated, all our RV parks had pull throughs. They failed 80 miles into a shake down cruise. So do you think you have heard this story before? If you read this forum, you most certainly have read it. Some have had great success with ST tires, but many have not.

Your rig has the advantage of load distribution on the 6 wheels. Because of that any tire you run will run cooler and will respond to the loads better, but I'm not sure that load is what causes Tomax failures.

Opinion, the G114 is not the tire for you. It is a heavy tire and it cost money to turn them at highway speeds. Especially if you have 6 of them. The load rating is way more than what you need.

The G614 may be the tire for you if your rims will accommodate 3750 lbs at 110 psi. They will resist side loads at 110 psi better than an ST at 80 psi.

So you might be saying, what do I do then if my rims are not 3750 110 psi? answer, you could buy T04 8x6.5 16X6 heavy duty rims new or off/ebay or off a memeber. Then pay for the G614 to boot. Doing this will give you a serious wheel assembly.

OR

LT tires. There are many. But your OEM rims are 6 inch rims, LT tires usually start with a 7 inch rim requirement. Personally I would not have any heartburn running an LT on a 6 inch rim, but some would. So I offer it hear as a suggestion.

You can get away from ST tires forever, have a better tire and rim assembly, for about $650-750, if you sell your OEM ST tires and rims. By replacing your rims (optional) and switching to LT tires.

The G114 is overkill for the tandems, it is way overkill for the triples.

Swagems

Ok I think I have a t07 black wheels can't seem to load the picture
how about going with LT235/85R16 14 ply Sailun S637 tires

Jim.Allison

That is the Chinese equivalent of the G614. ?Right

Can't go by the pic, you have to find the data on the inside of the rim.

Maybe someone else already knows what the rating for your rims are.

Ok I think I have a t07 black wheels can't seem to load the picture
how about going with LT235/85R16 14 ply Sailun S637 tires

Ron-Cookie

I have T07 rims with Sailun S637 tires mounted... My T07 rims are rated for 110 pounds... When I had three TowMax tires have problems in one weekend Tredit stated that the Sailun tire was the way to go... Love them...

porthole

Retired
With a two axle toy hauler I would go with the GY 17.5 G-114's

With a 3 axle toy hauler and 110 PSI rims I would go with the GY G-614's

When I bought my G-114's my rims were only 80 psi rated, so either way I needed to buy rims. At the time the G-114 tire and rim was $25 per tire/wheel less, so it was a no brainer.

I am pleased with the results and performance of the GY 114's and the service I have gotten from Trailer Tire and Wheels in Edon, OH.
If you call them, ask for Scott (the owner) and tell him you heard of his shop from this forum.

Hopefully Jim will again make arrangements for a discount for this years Goshen Rally - Jim - are ya listening?????

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have had the G114's and new rims that I got from Trailertiresandwheels.com and as Duanne mentioned above, I dealt with Scott and he took great care of me and gave me a great deal!! I wouldn't be without them on any of the heavier Fifth-wheels. You have a margin of safety, vs. always traveling at or near your maximum capacity. IMHO

Rod

jbeletti

Message to Mark Kosanko...

Mark - your post here was deleted by a moderator for "personal bashing".

I want to let you know that for Heartland - I run this forum and the owners club. I do not solve tire problems. Consider taking your continued conversation on tires to another platform.

Should you wish to open a dialog with Heartland or Thor directly, consider contacting them by phone or registered letter at their respective corporate offices.

lwmcguir

Hello I have been reading a lot about the Towmax tires and im a bit nervous my trailer is a 2014 Rw418 and has around 2200 miles ( about 7 trip to the dune and the lake) on the tires plus what ever miles to get the trailer to Utah. The tires looks great I have the air pressure at 80 psi.

So I guess the question is im looking at good year G114 215/75/17.5 which means I need to buy wheels and tires at around $3800.00 do I need that much of a upgrade for a part time rver (longest trip is about 700 miles) or is there something else out there .
I did some research on the g614 235 85 16 and was told with 3 axles the tires Where going to wear uneven do to the side walls ,Im so confused you pay Thousand of dollars for new Rv Trailers and they put cheap Tires on Them.
Also where could I sell my used trailer tires and wheel.
Thank

If you plan on keeping it, this is the way to go.

Jim.Allison

Ditto

6 wheels with G114 will provide up to almost 30,000 lbs of service on a 18,000 GVWR trailer. The G614 will provide in excess of 22000 lbs on a 6 wheels. Weighing the rigs axles individually would point out any disproportionate weight distributions.

But in the end, the G114 is one heck of a tire, they pull great and have a lot of tread on them, the carcass is very substantial.

With a two axle toy hauler I would go with the GY 17.5 G-114's

With a 3 axle toy hauler and 110 PSI rims I would go with the GY G-614's

When I bought my G-114's my rims were only 80 psi rated, so either way I needed to buy rims. At the time the G-114 tire and rim was $25 per tire/wheel less, so it was a no brainer.

I am pleased with the results and performance of the GY 114's and the service I have gotten from Trailer Tire and Wheels in Edon, OH.
If you call them, ask for Scott (the owner) and tell him you heard of his shop from this forum.

Hopefully Jim will again make arrangements for a discount for this years Goshen Rally - Jim - are ya listening?????

Jim.Allison

Load your rig like you intend to take a trip. Go weigh each axle (each wheel if you can), this will give you a picture of what you should do.

Both the G614 and the G114 tires are very tough, both tires are even classified by Goodyear as "Highly retreadable". This is the caliber of tire you are looking at.

As far a scrubbing your tires, I would rather have a 110 psi tire scrubbing in a tight turn than a 80 psi Towmax. IF scrubbing is messing up your tires then rotate them, and avoid tight turns. I believe tight turns are partially responsible for some of our tire problems anyway.

Swagems

Will I took your guys opinions and bought 6 GY g614 the new question is how much air should I run in them .I run the trailer loaded and does any one have the torque spec for the 8 lug dex axle lug nuts.
The only time a scubb the tires is when I'm backing it up next to my house or in my driveway
thank hope these tires last
for sale 6 towmax tires ( cheap lol)

Jim.Allison

Dexter says to consult the wheel manufacturer for torque specs. Its about clamping force, without compressing the aluminum alloy. My highspec wheel call for 130-140 foot lbs ( I split the difference). My heartland owners manual calls for 120 for the OEM wheels. I think 120 is too light. The torque is not about breaking or striping lug nuts and bolts.

I would think that the max pressure would help with the scrubbing.

Here is a link to the inflation tables. Your tire is the only 16 that goes to 110 psi.

You did check your rims for 3750 and 110 psi, right?

BTW speaking of inflating them you should have an air gauge that you hold in your hand and an industrial "chuck" that will clip on the valve stem so that you can step aside while inflating. It is not wise to have your face or body in proximity of a tire that is being inflated to 110 psi.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 9.07.24 PM.jpg

Will I took your guys opinions and bought 6 GY g614 the new question is how much air should I run in them .I run the trailer loaded and does any one have the torque spec for the 8 lug dex axle lug nuts.
The only time a scubb the tires is when I'm backing it up next to my house or in my driveway
thank hope these tires last
for sale 6 towmax tires ( cheap lol)

Swagems

Thank too all and yes my rims on the back says max air is 110 psi and says 3750
my lug nut size is 7/8 socket I'm not sure who make the wheel and can't seem to fine
the torque spec I think the wheel dis is Tredit tire