What causes one tire to cup or feather or whatever this is?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI just had brand new tires installed 300 miles later and I have this
it is 5" by 5" and only one spot on the whole tire Had the other side do it in about 6 spots les Schwab gave me a brand new tire for that side now driver side front tire has one wear mark!!!

Bones

A few things. Has your alignment been checked? Are you running correct air pressure? May not necessarily be the air pressure on the door. Do you turn your tires while sitting still?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What brand of tire? What is the manufacture date? Looks defective to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimtoo

You may have problem with brake locking up on that wheel. One spot on tire and feathered edges toward rear would indicate brake lockup at some point.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What brand of tire is it?? Feathering could be an alignment problem. You say they are new and one has already been replaced. Was the feathering on the old tires also?? If not I suspect a lousy tire not made for a heavy 5'er. Some times the cheap get's expensive. JMHO

Tires were bought on 9-4-15 the first one i got replaced on 9-30-15 because of multiple spots like this one on this tire, (but i hadn't moved the trailer since i got home on labor day weekend because i burned up my landing gear motor and i just fixed the jacks on the 28th so now i took it in to the tire store) i believe there was 6 spots that were cupped of feathered les schwab was very decent about taking care of the one but when i got back home from getting that tire replaced and doing some driving around town to clean grey tanks i noticed tire on same axle but opposite side has this one wear mark on it now so Ive parked it and not moving it till i figure out my problems
i will update brand and rating in a few waiting on my dad to send me the info like i said I'm not moving it again and its at my dads house!!!

- - - Updated - - -

the old tires were the original tires from 2008 and no damage at all just had one that the sidewall had a big indent in it so i thought you know its been a good 7 years time to end my worries of these old tires!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since your rig is a 2008, have the bearings ever been inspected along with the brakes? They may be binding.
Have your new tires been balanced?

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

Alignment. It don't matter what kind of tire or if it was balanced. The wheel is out of alignment.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well it would be very odd that the old tires were not wearing like that and the 1st one did it in 300 miles. Had it changed out and now the tire on the other side of the same axle is doing it. The only thing that comes to mind is....the tire dealer jacked the trailer by the axles and bent them or junk tires.

It was jacked up by the axles jack was placed under the u bolts of the leaf springs I was right there through the tire purchase The tires are a tow max 235/75/16 load rating E I have done some research on the suspension that the leaf springs and bearings could have some thing to cause this. I noticed that my leaf springs look like the letter W So I started calling around. The leafs on the trailer are a double eye 5 leaf 26" length on 7000lb axles The leafs for a 7000lb axle should have 2 more leafs than mine do so I'm doing the springs tomorrow I'll look at brakes and pack bearings also!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Are the new tires TowMax (aka around these here hills as 'BlowMax') . . . or the old ones?

If the new ones are, you should take your trailer back and have them removed and replaced with better tires (not Goodyear Marathons - same tire as the BlowMax).

Lance & Jo

you might want to check the tire size again. Our trailers are 16,000 GVW and with about 3K on the pin it leaves 13K for the axles or in a perfectly balanced trailer about 3,200 per tire. The E rated tire is a little over loaded and with the bad rep Towmax has..... On our trailer (no matter how hard I try) the off door side is always a little heavier due to all the storage and kitchen stuff being on that side. Would suggest a 235-85-16 G rated. Sailun seems to have a good rep and low price while Goodyear 614 is pricey but good tire.

Bones

It was jacked up by the axles jack was placed under the u bolts of the leaf springs I was right there through the tire purchase The tires are a tow max 235/75/16 load rating E I have done some research on the suspension that the leaf springs and bearings could have some thing to cause this. I noticed that my leaf springs look like the letter W So I started calling around. The leafs on the trailer are a double eye 5 leaf 26" length on 7000lb axles The leafs for a 7000lb axle should have 2 more leafs than mine do so I'm doing the springs tomorrow I'll look at brakes and pack bearings also!
Are the tires ST or LT