What does "AUTO" do on our Corningware Crock pot ?

RollingHome

This is a totally not me question. I'm really new at cooking. In fact, if I never post again after today, you know the meal didn't go well :) Anyway, we have a Corning crock pot and I don't know where the manual is:confused:. I did a Google search and I found this site mommysavers.com One of the posters submitted below :

If I remember correctly (I too lost the directions for my crockpot.) The auto setting is when the cooking process begins at the higher setting, then after a time it automatically goes to the lower setting. I dont know how long it cooks on high before it goes to the lower setting. I have never used the auto setting, I've always used either high or low.

Do you know what AUTO does ? Is the above correct ? I'm attempting to make a middle eastern dish, the house smells like Curry and tells me I might be OK, just hope it comes out of the house and cats, yikes ! Curried flavored cats ! Anyhowzit, I put raw vegetables, chicken, shrimp, 2 pork chops, coconut milk and vegetable stock in at 12:00 Noon. I put it on HI, I hope it's done at 6:00 or 7:00 ish... any comments, i.e will HI be OK ? By the way, you guys got me started in my new cooking carreer, especially that Jim Biletti, you may have created a kitchen 'Fronkensteen'. I've been on line and got some good sounding crock pot recipes. This crock pot cooking is so simple a Geico customer could do it ;) Tally Ho, Tom

jbeletti

RollingHome Chef,

6 hours on high sounds about right to me but I don't cook with a crock pot much.

By the way, I tried Bob and Marion Wengler's London Broil recipe last night. Nancy liked it as it was another meal she didn't have to prepare :). But it really wasn't as good as I'd had in Colorado with the Wenglers :(

Let us know how your recipe turned out.

Jim

RollingHome

Thanks, Jim. The recipe stated cook on LO for 9 to 10 hours. Well, I went to the store to get the stuff I needed, came back and put it all together, by then it was 12 noon, I didn't have 9 to 10 hours - that's a long time ! That's why I used HI instead of LO. It's now 3:40 the shrimp are pinkish. Man, it smells so g o o o o d in here I'm am salivating. I can't wait to try it. Wonder if I should mix it ? Yeah, I'm gonna, what will it hurt ? Tally Ho.

pfedso

My wife's a slow cooker fanatic so I know a bit about this. She'll never use auto, for the same reason pro photographers never use auto!

For most recipes it's better to cook on high first, such as to bring out flavors and kill any bacteria in meats (and some beans need to be cooked high first). Then at the optimal time, switch to low heat and allow the slow cooker to do it's thing.

I think for most of us auto is totally fine, but for perfectionists.....no auto!!! There's load of info here about auto mode - https://www.cookoutback.com.au/cooking-advice/what-does-auto-mean-on-a-slow-cooker/

Last edited: