What kind of hitch

Tcb

Hi we are really new at this we purchased a 3500 dodge diesel with a short box & now looking at a grey stone 33 as haha sure looks long for me who has never pulled anything longer than a compressor but I would like some feedback on on a hitch aim told I need a slider whatever that is & also told I don't need one help would greatly be appreciated as me & my wife are really new to this just want to. Be safe

danemayer

Hi Tcb,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of helpful information here along with a great group of friendly people.

With 5th wheel hitches placed slightly front of the rear axle, on a shortbed truck, when making turns, the front of the RV can contact the back of the cab on the truck. Slider hitches solve this problem by allowing the hitch to be over the axle, but to slide rearward when making turns. This repositioning provides the necessary clearance during the turn.

Heartland has designed the front caps of their 5th wheels to allow 88 degree turns without needing a slider hitch. I expect you'll hear from other owners that they do just fine with shortbed trucks and regular 5th wheel hitches.

I'm sure we'll get a bunch of other comments shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kbvols

Tcb I have seen the slider vs non slider debated now on several threads with various opinions. I have a slider hitch in a SB Chevy 2500. I have yet to use the slider and have made some fairly sharp turns just fine. Honestly if I had to do over I would have saved the extra $ for the slider and used for something else. The only time you would need is when turning or backing sharply and would have to reposition the hitch prior too. Good luck on your decision. If you decide on the Greystone I think you will love it. They pull great.

GOTTOYS

The Dodge has the shortest cab to axle distance of the 3 major brands. I have a Pull Rite Super Glide in mine. I bought it online and got the least expensive model that uses standard bed rails. I don't know if I really needed it or not. It's a great hitch and now I don't have to worry about hitting the cab if that would ever be a problem. JMHO....Don

Tcb

Thank you all so much for the info I greatly appreciate all the info it was very good thanks again

rgwilliams69

If you search around the various forums you will find quite a few people saying "I had a slider and never or rarely ever needed to use it". And then you will also find a few honest folks who will admit to either not having the slider or not using it, and then popping out the back window of their TV or worse. With a 2011 F250 short bed I first had a Reese Manual Slider, which I did use almost every time I went to back into a spot. Using it was not an easy evolution - getting out of the truck, moving the handle, getting back in, holding the trailer brakes down, pulling forward (and it didn't always move easily, and it almost always refused to move when I was at any sort of an angle). Did I have to use it every time I did? Don't know - what I do know is I never hit the truck because I always used it. Also even when pulling forward and going around tight corners I and my wife watched the camper coming close to the truck more than we watched the road in front of us.

Might have just been a worry wort, but when I switched to a Pullrite Super Glide I know that my towing/backing experience went from a constant worry to no worry at all. Yes the hitch costs more, and yes it is heavier and harder to handle than some of the others. But best hands-down hitch hardware I have ever seen or used. And provided the ability to tow forward or back into a spot worrying more about what was in front of me or behind me rather than where the camper was in relation to the truck. Having done this for a while I've learned that taking the tow/park experience out of the overall experience (i.e. making it as easy and safe as possible) lets you focus on what you really want to focus, the camping!

With a short bed truck regardless of the coach brand claims on angle (there are a ton of variables that go into that by the way, if you want to research - not all hitch/truck/camper angle possibilities are equal) I would have a slider, and an automatic one at that. A few hundred dollars are worth the peace of mind. At least for me it was. I have a long bed truck now and ended up selling my Pullrite (it kept its value VERY well by the way), but if I went back to a short bed that is the only way I would go.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure there will be several more opinions show up. That is the great thing about this forum - lots of people will share and help you make a decision by sharing their own experience/mistakes/triumphs.

Merry Christmas!

Bksvo

I am an honest person. I have an F-350 SB and a Husky 26k slider hitch. I've never used it, and parked in some pretty tight spots with a 43' 3800. Now, I get more worried about trying to turn a triple axle camper so tight that I would worry about it, but your mileage may vary. In hindsite, I would save the money.

Love the Husky hitch, BTW.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had a S/B Chevy when we bought the BH. We live at the end of a cul-da-sac. !st time I made the turn (over 90*) I almost filled my shorts when looking in the RV mirror....but the BH did not hit the rear glass. A S/B chevy does have a 6' bed. I dont know what a Dodge has. In hind site I would not have bought the slider. After 5 years, the slider has worn with use and drives me crazy with all the clucking it does.