what tire?

MC9

My local tire dealer ordered,installed,balanced,metal valve stems and even fancy caps for only 22 bucks more than the best internet price for tires only. Check your local guys.

TeJay

lwMcguire,
A tire has to have the letter "R" in its designation to be a radial. Look on any car/truck tire and you will find the letter R. Here's our vehicles: 2007 Honda CRV- P235/60R17, 2010 F-150- P265/60R18, NT 24-RBS- ST 205/75R14. The ,"R" is placed just before the rim size. If it does not have an R it is not a radial design. As the term bias indicates. The ply cords run at a bias or angle to the tires rotation. Radials run around the tire from bead to bead at right angles to the rotation of the tire. This is what allows them to have better sidewall flex, better contact with the ground when cornering and lower rolling friction.
I would still like to know why the trailer industry does not automatically use radial tires on their TT's. Some offer it as an option. When we ordered out NT we specified radial tires and it did not come with them. The dealer said that they always specify them but yet it came without them and then we were told that they were not available. We went to a different dealer only 20 miles from home instead of 120 and all of their NTs came with radial tires from the factory, go figure.

TeJay

lwmcguir

lwMcguire,
A tire has to have the letter "R" in its designation to be a radial. Look on any car/truck tire and you will find the letter R. Here's our vehicles: 2007 Honda CRV- P235/60R17, 2010 F-150- P265/60R18, NT 24-RBS- ST 205/75R14. The ,"R" is placed just before the rim size. If it does not have an R it is not a radial design. As the term bias indicates. The ply cords run at a bias or angle to the tires rotation. Radials run around the tire from bead to bead at right angles to the rotation of the tire. This is what allows them to have better sidewall flex, better contact with the ground when cornering and lower rolling friction.
I would still like to know why the trailer industry does not automatically use radial tires on their TT's. Some offer it as an option. When we ordered out NT we specified radial tires and it did not come with them. The dealer said that they always specify them but yet it came without them and then we were told that they were not available. We went to a different dealer only 20 miles from home instead of 120 and all of their NTs came with radial tires from the factory, go figure.

TeJay

TeJay, all the tires I thought we were discussing are such as the Goodyear G614RST just as you stated. Know you have be curious. Going to check the rest of the tires and see if they are all RST's. The 17.5 being discussed/recommended are 215/75R17.5 H which is a steel radial.

TeJay

Thanks for the reply. I was really beginning to wonder why not take advantage of the radial design. The cost difference can't be much. After all there are a lot more radials being built than bias tires. If fact when guys restore vintage cars they pay more for the bias tires because they don't make many at all. However that being said. A lot of TT's don't come with radial tires. They can be ordered. My question, as has already been said, for safety reasons why would you not put on the best??? Again it's probably a $$$$ issue since most of the TT tires are the, "China Bombs," and I can't believe they charge much for those.

Again thanks and happy & safe traveling.
TeJay

lwmcguir

Couple of photos of our tire/wheel upgrade last year

Attachments

• 17.5 Tires-Wheels 1.jpg
    17.5 Tires-Wheels 1.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 17.5 Tires-Wheels 2.jpg
    17.5 Tires-Wheels 2.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 38

MC9

Beside a service truck today. It had Transforce HT on the front and Dayton Timberline HT on the rear. Seem Firestone/Bridgestone owns both. Even made in Canada also. The Daytons are cheaper mmmmmm.

jnbhobe

Beside a service truck today. It had Transforce HT on the front and Dayton Timberline HT on the rear. Seem Firestone/Bridgestone owns both. Even made in Canada also. The Daytons are cheaper mmmmmm.

Both are very good hiway tires, In our part of the country the Daytons are in short supply.

Delaine and Lindy

I will be trying the Toyo's when I have to replace the Goodyear G114. I for sure wound't buy a ST tire, the LT's are much better tire. If the ST's were so good why aren't they on Trucks and Cars... Happy Trails....

bradforx

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Maxii Tires specifically the ST235/80/R16 load range E. I would like to stay with an 80 and it seems the LT's are 235/85/R16 and this doesn't leave room for our leveling blocks. I understand that the Maxii has more reserve capacity than other ST's and I would like to hear from anyone who has these tires. Thank you.

Sandpirate69

I will be trying the Toyo's when I have to replace the Goodyear G114. I for sure wound't buy a ST tire, the LT's are much better tire. If the ST's were so good why aren't they on Trucks and Cars... Happy Trails....

They are not on vehicles because they are usually rated for a Max speed of 65 mph. Personally i'm switching to 17.5" rims with Goodyears or Michellins.

Ivan

GOTTOYS

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Maxii Tires specifically the ST235/80/R16 load range E. I would like to stay with an 80 and it seems the LT's are 235/85/R16 and this doesn't leave room for our leveling blocks. I understand that the Maxii has more reserve capacity than other ST's and I would like to hear from anyone who has these tires. Thank you.
The tires you are looking for info on are Maxxis brand I believe. They are about the only ST tire that is not made in China and are highly regarded. I do not think they have a higher capacity than any other similar size tire. I have the 235/85/16, B.F. Goodrich Commercial LT tires on my rig. They are only 1" larger in diameter than the 235/80/16 STs they replaced. This puts them 1" closer together. My X Chocks fit fine and I have no problems with clearance at all on my 3250 BC. About 7,500 trouble free miles so far with zero issues. I would buy them again in a heartbeat...Don

Sandpirate69

I thought of these because of a fascinating post I read at http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-rv-forum/215707-trailer-tires-explained.html
This post rates your tires up at the top of the list. It's a really good read. I have had many "blown fenders" and now I think I know why. My tires came in last and they were a giant step up from what my rig came with. Thanks for your reply.
Brad

Great post. I read the article, very interesting how the tire industry makes its final rating analysis.

Thanks
Ivan

lwmcguir

I thought of these because of a fascinating post I read at http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-rv-forum/215707-trailer-tires-explained.html
This post rates your tires up at the top of the list. It's a really good read. I have had many "blown fenders" and now I think I know why. My tires came in last and they were a giant step up from what my rig came with. Thanks for your reply.
Brad

Sure makes some good points. Also confirms that if you have a heavy coach and intend to pull hot and heavy then 17.5 tires are the way to go.