What to set Refig on when traveling?

Georgia_Biker

We are on a 2 - 3 month trip - when you disconnect from your 50amp power and you hook in to your connector with your tow truck - what should the refrigerator be set on? I selected AU - (automatic) an all it does is flashes a bunch of things an never seems to connect. I tried selected AC - that didn't work, LP - nogo.

What am I doing wrong.

In my mind the refrig should be running off the tow truck power ???

Larry

branson4020

Icantre Member
Re: What to set Rfig on when traveling?

Your refer runs off either propane, or 120VAC shore power. It also requires 12VDC to run the controller board and propane igniter. If you leave it on AUTO, it will use shore power when available and propane otherwise. Do you have your propane turned on?

pegmikef

Most of the reefers are only two way nowadays (although the one in my Edge ran on 12 volt). When 12 volt is available it will be a selection option. As other folks have said make sure your propane is on and the air is bled out of the line (e.g., light a burner on the stove and use a lighter if necessary to bleed the air out of the line). If it is working right it will automatically switch to gas when the shore power is removed.

Georgia_Biker

I have two large propane tanks and they are on. When it switches to gas (from auto) will it indicate LP and the LP led stay on? As it is now it just blinks and beeps and gives a FL code and then AC and then Lo in sequence

danemayer

I have two large propane tanks and they are on. When it switches to gas (from auto) will it indicate LP and the LP led stay on? As it is now it just blinks and beeps and gives a FL code and then AC and then Lo in sequence
Larry,

The most common cause of problems like this is lack of propane flow. So first of all, see if you're getting propane flow. See if you can light the front burner on the range and if it will keep burning for a minute or two. If not, try closing both propane tanks, wait 15 seconds and re-open them VERY slowly. (There's an overflow protection device in the propane tanks that activates if you open the valves too quickly.) Then try the range burner again. Once the burner works, retry the frig.

If the burner is working ok, but the frig doesn't run on LP, you'll probably have to get help from a qualified service tech.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You didn't state what floor plan you have, but if the refer is in a slide that is a chance that the rubber gas line is getting pinched when the slide is in.
Are you having trouble when the slide is out as well as in?

Peace
Dave

Georgia_Biker

Hey Dan-t

We are at Yogi Bear's Jellystone RV Park in Gardiner, NY - we will be at Ace's High RV Park in East Lyme, CT tonight and stay for 5 days and then moving on to Strafford, NH for 6 days at Crown Point Campground.

I have confirmed my gas stove is working fine - all eyes burn. When I disconnect shore power the refrigerator automatically selects LP - there is a short clicking noise inside the refrigerator and the LED panel indicates it is on. After about 60 seconds it quits. I feel like a "tech" needs to look at it because don't know anything else to try.

Our daily runs between campsites after leaving Georgia have been 6 - 7 hours. We have had to dispose of some food in the freezer. From here on our runs will be 2-3 ours so hopefully we'll be ok.

There is a Camping World location near Strafford, NH so I am going to call them and see if I can get some Emergency help.

As always - thanks for your help!

Garypowell

Something is going on...that clicking you are hearing is the gas trying to light. It can take several tries but since the stove is OK with all your attempts frig should have fired by now.

It it could be as simple as a spider web or no gas getting through because of blocked line or solenoid valve not working. While waiting for the tech you can continue to look for bad connections, etc.

Bohemian

I have never had any luck with the atl/automatic mode as a dependable setting. When traveling I use the propane mode. When attached to shore I use the automatic.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Check to see if the burner tube is clogged...we had mud daubers make a nest in ours and the fridge could not get gas to light until we cleaned it out.

chiefaret

If you are getting gas to the fridge, it should stay lit. We always have it on auto and #3 and always worked great, even in some brutal AZ heat.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Our refer is doing this now. We determined the striker for the propane is not working. We can light it with a lighter and it runs on propane. Called dealer but they can't service for 6 weeks. They said to call a mobile rv tech to fix when we get on the road.

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TXTiger

I just leave mine on auto all the time and when I am moving I leave the propane on.

Boostable

Our fridge was "hung up" and would not transfer to propane. What I did to fix it was this. While hooked up on power set it on auto, it should be on electric and should indicate such. Then push the on/off button and turn the fridge off. Let it sit for a minute or two and then turn it back on. After a minute or so manually cycle it to LP and see if she fires up. If it does not give you any alarms after a couple mins you should be good to go. Switch it back to auto.... This is what worked for me.

pegmikef

Our refer is doing this now. We determined the striker for the propane is not working. We can light it with a lighter and it runs on propane. Called dealer but they can't service for 6 weeks. They said to call a mobile rv tech to fix when we get on the road.

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Nancy is that a Dometic or Norcold?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Our fridge was "hung up" and would not transfer to propane. What I did to fix it was this. While hooked up on power set it on auto, it should be on electric and should indicate such. Then push the on/off button and turn the fridge off. Let it sit for a minute or two and then turn it back on. After a minute or so manually cycle it to LP and see if she fires up. If it does not give you any alarms after a couple mins you should be good to go. Switch it back to auto.... This is what worked for me.

Also, one thing you need to keep in mind is that your trailer needs to be level for the gas to fire up properly!

I usually park my trailer out in the street a day or two before we take off, and I generally have to level the trailer side-to-side before I can get the fridge to fire up on gas.

Even when I fire up the stove on all three burners to pull the LP gas into the lines . . .

If I park it by the curb without leveling the trailer, it leans heavily towards the right (passenger) side of the trailer . . . and our fridge won't start on LP that way!

I also generally fire up the fridge on electric a day or so before we plan to leave as it takes at least one day to bring the fridge up to temp!

As a final footnote . . . we gave up on ice creme . . . our fridge (Norcold) just doesn't seem to handle ice creme very well.

Every time we've tried ice creme . . . we've regretted it!

What a mess it (ice creme) can make in your freezer . . .