What's Up With My Tires???

DallasFull-Timer

Hey everyone,

Background:

We departed Wednesday; I aired up all 4 tires on the Elkridge to 77 psi.

Traveled 372 miles and parked for 2 nights. Then, traveled 237 miles and parked for 1 night.

Today, traveled 168 miles back to our home park.

No issues whatsoever until I set the rig back up here at home. My last step after leveling is to chock my wheels. "Driver" side chocked no problem; however, when I went to chock the "passenger" side, I discovered a strange phenomenon. These two tires are both equally "swollen" and "cupped" to where I can't even get the chock in between the tires.

This condition occurred on the last 168 mile leg to my home park... this is the first time I've encountered this condition.

It has been a couple hours, and the tires are certainly cooled down by now. Both are currently at 66 psi. I still can't fit the chock in between the tires.

Can anyone explain to me what's happening here? Why only these two on this one side, and the other two on the other side are fine?

Pics:

20170805_185324.jpg

20170805_185414.jpg

20170805_185344.jpg

20170805_185632.jpg

Attachments

• 20170805_185324.jpg
    20170805_185324.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1130

TowMax tires and a search here will bring up many threads on these tires and the horror stories related to them. You are very lucky that one or more did not blow (AKA BlowMax) and take out parts of the trailer. Get them off, all of them and replace them with a better tire. There are a number of recommendations and better replacements.

And I think your tire pressure, on the side of the tire says 80psi. That is what they should be aired to prior to taking off.

RDsStudio59

I think the problem might be right there on the sidewall.
b666babaa71364af95bbedfab5a63bd1.jpg

Safe Travels,

Roger

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You must have the Towmax junk. The cords have separated. You were very lucky that they didn't explode and take out the side of your RV. Change all 4 tire ASAP I don't think I'd travel another mile on them if it were me. Unless your local tire shop is down the street.

Your a lucky man go buy a Lotto ticket.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DallasFull-Timer

Holy CRAP y'all!

Why would Heartland give folks these tires on a $64k coach?!

Dang, hey how hard is it to jack up a side and tote 2 at a time into town for replacement???

Jwill18

You've got tread separation on those tires. It's just a matter of time before you have a blowout. I would replace immediately. As for the right brand to replace with -- who knows. I had the tread to separate on 2 year old Goodyear Marathons. I've tried to research and there are so many people opinions out there. We have Sailun on our new camper now. They seem to have good reviews. I guess time will tell...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

DallasFull-Timer

You've got tread separation on those tires. It's just a matter of time before you have a blowout. I would replace immediately. As for the right brand to replace with -- who knows. I had the tread to separate on 2 year old Goodyear Marathons. I've tried to research and there are so many people opinions out there. We have Sailun on our new camper now. They seem to have good reviews. I guess time will tell...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do you think it'd be a big deal to jack up one side at a time to where I can tote 2 at a time into town for replacement?
***I have a deck in place, etc.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you have 80psi wheels, then the two best options for new tire's are the new Goodyear Endurance (made here in the US), and the Maxxis. Both have good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Those tires are 235/85/16, what does the placard on the side of the trailer list as the recommended inflation?

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Holy CRAP y'all!

Why would Heartland give folks these tires on a $64k coach?!

Dang, hey how hard is it to jack up a side and tote 2 at a time into town for replacement???

All the mfgr's do the same. Put on as cheap as they can get away with and let the customer replace them with better tires. All they want is for them to get you out the door and home for a month maybe.

Don't jack your trailer up using the axles. Get a good bottle jack and some wood blocks and jack each side up just enough to get the tires off. Do the side that has the bad tires first.

I assume the tires are 16". Michelin XP Ribs are good tires. I have used them on my Bighorn. Many here have used Goodyear 614. Those that are recommended above will most likely work.

FWIW
BC

DallasFull-Timer

Those tires are 235/85/16, what does the placard on the side of the trailer list as the recommended inflation?

Peace
Dave

80 psi, just like on the sidewall of the Blowmaxes.

- - - Updated - - -

All the mfgr's do the same. Put on as cheap as they can get away with and let the customer replace them with better tires. All they want is for them to get you out the door and home for a month maybe.

Don't jack your trailer up using the axles. Get a good bottle jack and some wood blocks and jack each side up just enough to get the tires off. Do the side that has the bad tires first.

I assume the tires are 16". Michelin XP Ribs are good tires. I have used them on my Bighorn. Many here have used Goodyear 614. Those that are recommended above will most likely work.

FWIW
BC

Is there an actual designated jacking point I should be looking for? Heck, I have a 12 ton floor jack, so capacity is not an issue... I just need to know what my ideal jacking point is...

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The best tire place to go in the Dallas area is Discount Tire. I have used them for all of my tires for about 35 years. If they don't have the tires that others have recommended, they can order them.

DallasFull-Timer

The best tire place to go in the Dallas area is Discount Tire. I have used them for all of my tires for about 35 years. If they don't have the tires that others have recommended, they can order them.

Yes indeed! I had 6 new Coopers put on my Ram last week at the best price you can find at the Discount Tire here in Terrell, TX. Matter o' fact, I have a credit card with them.

Hey, on a side note... This coach is still within the first year warranty period. What are the odds that these garbage tires are part of that first year warranty??

Heck, this was our first real trip with the coach, and I encounter this tire issue.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You're in Terrell? We are from Terrell! That Discount Tire is new, I had them check air in my car tires. We bought truck and trailer tires from the one in Rockwall. Be sure to get the road hazard coverage as well, and full metal stems. If your wheels have the capacity, and I think they do, consider going to load range G tires. More weight capacity for a greater margin, and a 75mph speed rating. (E rated ST tires are 65mph).

Discount tire can order tires for you. We used Maxxis 8008s on our previous ElkRidge. We have Sailun on our Big Country.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I got tired of worrying about tires blowing out so I went to Discount Tire and ordered 5 - 17.5" Rims and G114 tires. Everything seems to be running great and no problems.

I had heard that Jim B. had a 17.5" tire blow out on his Landmark. Not sure about that...

BC

rblack22

Had all three on one side do that to me in June headed to the Keys. Finally realized the people waving at me weren't just trying to say hello and pulled over, thank God. They were a mess, all crowned over rubbing each other and 2 had the sidewall cords exposed

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Any particular website you prefer as far as pricing goes???

If you can't find or have trouble getting them through a local Discount Tire's, I've used simpletire.com a couple of times. Got tire's within a couple of days from them.

Check the inside of your rims to see what psi they will hold. You may have 110psi rims. If so, I'd go with Goodyear G614 or Sailun637. If you are only 80psi then I'd stick with Maxxis or the new Goodyear Endurance.