Where did you mount your dual canister water filter?

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are picking up our BC3250TS this WEEK!!

The question: I bought a dual canister system from the RV water filter store.....I was thinking (dangerous) that I would mount in a tote with quick connects like several others I have seen.....but that adds another large tote to storage when traveling. I know, we have tons of room, but want ideas on where to "permanently" mount down under....on a wall or something.

Looking forward to all your creative suggestions!!

robnmo

We use a whole house filter, I put the quick connects on the filter, then made a bracket/hanger (it's like a hook on each end) and attached that bracket to an existing screw on the underbelly, we simply take the filter assembly out of the storage compartment, put in the cartridge, and hang it on the bracket the outlet of the filter quick connect lines up perfect with the water inlet on the underside of the trailer, when we leave we just lift the filter out of the hanger, drain the water toss the assembly in the front storage compartment (hanger remains on the underbelly), and go.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use a tote for our dual filters as well. I use the same tote to store my hoses and regulator. It works out well because everything is one location. I just pull the tote out and everything I need for our water hook up is in it. I do the same with our sewer hoses and connections, adapters, donut etc. All in the same tote. It makes for a less messy basement as well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I do the same as Ray, using a large covered tote under the trailer for the filters and extra water gear. If you mount it behind the basement walls, then you've got access problems. You could jerry-rig it into the UDC, but that also results in access problems. You really don't want to mount it where changing the filters will result in a lot of water dumping on things that don't like getting wet.

ParkIt

I was wondering if I should do a permanent water filter install or quick disconnect - from the responses here it sounds like an outside unit that can be stored might be a better option. Won't know until I get time to start rooting around the water & electrical system though.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Yep, I started the thread asking which way to go....internal or external......now with ALL my VAST experience......(3 months ownership and about 15 nights of camping).......the Tote box, with a 2 stage filters & adj pressure gauge mounted inside, is GREAT!! I keep all hoses, nozzles and extra parts/filters in the tote. I use quick release in the UDC and all hose connections. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. IT IS THE WAY TO GO......imho :angel:

JohnDar

Yep, I started the thread asking which way to go....internal or external......now with ALL my VAST experience......(3 months ownership and about 15 nights of camping).......the Tote box, with a 2 stage filters & adj pressure gauge mounted inside, is GREAT!! I keep all hoses, nozzles and extra parts/filters in the tote. I use quick release in the UDC and all hose connections. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. IT IS THE WAY TO GO......imho :angel:

TA-DA! Another satisfied customer. I can even coil my new 50 ft. water hose in it.

SilverRhino

Like others....I use one tote for the water filters and hoses and another for the sewer hoses and fittings.

I like having the filter set up outside the trailer...one less chance for a leak to cause damage. When I set mine up, I included a filter bypass loop for when I am flushing the tank or washing out hoses etc. ...... comes in handy and saves a little on gallons through the filters.

hoefler

I use a single canister mounted in the UDC. Charcoal filters are 5 micron, and the second filter would 10 or 20 micron, IMO, is unnecessary. I change it twice a year, and don't have to allocate storage area for another tote, filters,etc..

JohnDar

My sediment filter is 1 micron and the carbon filter is 0.5 micron. The larger the pore size, the more stuff that ends up coming out of the tap or depositing in the water heater. Not being full-timers, our basement isn't stuffed to the gills with life's necessities, so the tote isn't a problem.

hoefler

I have never seen a 1 or a .5 micron filter. All the filters that I have worked with are either 20 micron pleated filter, 10 micron rope filter, or 5 micron charcoal.

ParkIt

I would think a .5 micron filter would take a long time to push water through it - but I've been wrong before...

JohnDar

The sediment filter is a RV-SED1, 1 micron spun polypropylene and flows 3 - 4 gpm. The carbon filter is a F1Pb, 0.5 micron, and has the same flow rate.

With a 20 micron filter, you might as well just put a screen door on the water line. Even my dust collector for woodworking has a 1 micron pleated filter.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm