Where to buy?

:rolleyes: Well, we are excited! We have decided to purchase our first RV, a Big Country (after hours staring at the computer, visiting local dealers, who don't carry the Big Country). The question that is keeping me up at night is where to buy it?! If we travel approximately 600 miles one way we are dealing with a warehouse, if we travel approximately 100 miles one way, we have a national chain, but the cost is ~3K more for the same thing. I was wondering if anyone had a similar quandary and what their experience was?

rjr6150

:eek:Not sure how far from Grand Island, NE. you are. Several members of the CO. chapter have purchased from Larry's RV and been pleased with both price and service after the sale. If you want pm me and I'll give you my phone can discuss further.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a great choice you have made with the Big Country. Not sure which model ya'll are looking at but we love ours. We are lucky in that there is a Heartland dealer near us called RVS for Less in Knoxville. Check out their website at rvsforless.net. Butch and Karen (the owners) are great people to work with.
Byrd

CrazyScotsman

You may want to check out Great Escapes RV in Arkansas, they are about 5 miles North of Mountain Home AR. Dave the owner will give you a great deal., very nice to work with to.

trvlrerik

I am in central Kansas, we looked in Grand Island Neb. but finally went with the pure cost issue and purchased from Great Escapes in Gammameil Ark. It was a great deal, but even though they are very nice folks I am not anticipating customer service. I actually anticipated a "bait and switch" move but the owner Dave was honest and straightforeward with us, he sent his quote over the internet, and the deal was done 30 minutes after we arrived onsite. He did offer to allow for us to stay onsight for an overnight inspection, we did not due to incoming snow storm and it is a challenging road getting there.

ceegee

Just a quick note to say that we bought our Bighorn 3670 from Rich and Sons in Grand Island, NE. They are excellent to work with and the service is great. They all are very dedicated personnel. We live in Northwest Kansas and joined the Colorado Chapter. (They let us KANSANS tag along). What a great bunch they are. Robert and Marion, the leaders, are wonderful planners. We are all going to Estes Park in a couple of weeks for a Colorado Chapter Rally. They have some fun things planned for next year also. We would love to have you join us for any of these outings.

CrazyScotsman

I am in central Kansas, we looked in Grand Island Neb. but finally went with the pure cost issue and purchased from Great Escapes in Gammameil Ark. It was a great deal, but even though they are very nice folks I am not anticipating customer service. I actually anticipated a "bait and switch" move but the owner Dave was honest and straightforeward with us, he sent his quote over the internet, and the deal was done 30 minutes after we arrived onsite. He did offer to allow for us to stay onsight for an overnight inspection, we did not due to incoming snow storm and it is a challenging road getting there.

Dave at Great Escapes customer service is second to none.

DMitch

I also was in the same quandry as you, after reading this forum for severasl weeks we chose RV"s For Less in Knoxville,TN. I can tell you it was the best RV purchase experience I have ever had. They are great people to work with and thier word is good. I would do it again in a heart beat and I traveled 900 miles to pick up the unit.

All the best,

ArkSlim

Dealer Choice

Make this the second vote for Great Escapes in Gamaliel Ark. We looked at all the rv sites on the internet and finally got our best deal with Dave. We bought after arranging the deal over the phone. We drove from Nashville (500) miles one way. When we got there all was as stated on the phone. We got our best deal here.:) Good luck with your decision. Al

Thanks to all for all the information. Based on availability and price we will probably go with the one at Campingworld (as long as I don't hear and really bad reports about them:)). Thanks again, can't wait to pick it up.

CrazyScotsman

I am a HUGE fan of CAMPING WORLD...............NOOOOOTTTT
If it's like the one close to me, they don't know their *** from a hole in the ground, plus their prices are higher. The CW here wouldn't tell us what they wanted for a are not trailer, wanted us to shoot them a price, then do the car dealership thing, back and forth to the manager with numbers. When they started that we walked.
Plus their shop doesn't have the sharpest tools in the shed, one beer short of a six pack.
As you can tell I really love CW, and that's not Country & Western.

skyguy

Another vote for Rich and Sons in Grand Island - even tho we are a days drive from them in Colorado. There is a CW in Colorado Springs, and Tony Staab at Rich's (son) beat the CW price by 5 figures. CW wouldn't budge.

Been very helpful at after sale service too!

Ceegee - see you guys in a week! Looking forward to it!!

Al S.

ChopperBill

I WAS a big advocate of buying local. Well, I had do re-do about everything the selling local dealer did under warranty. They lost the dealership shortly after we purchased our Bighorn. The new dealer K &C/Camping World now has lost the dealership and the new one, Windish, is farther away. Thinking about a new 3610RE and PRICE will be the biggest consideration because I cant rely on dealers keeping the Heartland line and I don't know where they will be or if they will be worth a hoot. Not bragging but I am getting pretty good at messing around with these RV's so service is not my top priority.

charlie51

Just watch for the hidden cost at Camping World. They tried to charge a friend of mine $800 for the pdi. They didn't tell him this up front, but instead listed it on the paper work with all the other stuff.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I tried to buy locally but the dealers would not drop their price more than a few thousand. Lakeshore in MI knocked $10k off msrp and delivered the unit in perfict condition.

I will NEVER shop at Camping World Abq. NM again...I don't have a clue how they stay in business.