Where to spend the winter?

BobHinSC

2/16/2017

Hello Everyone,
I will be beginning my "Tour of America" RV adventure in July 2017. Here is my question. As of today, my tentative itinerary will have me in Carlsbad, NM early October. I will be venturing through CA and up to the San Francisco bay area after that to stay until about the end of November 2017. I am interested in suggestions where the best place/state to stay through the winter (Dec-March) would be? I am not on a schedule and can travel to other states to winter over depending on suggestions and advice from more experienced RV'ers.
I am not fond of prolonged periods of cold but can deal with the occasional few days of cold weather. Can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions.
Thank you,

Noofear

South-western Arizona is pretty decent during the "winter months". Think upper 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

If you want a place that you don't have to turn your heat on it would be South of Naples, FL or down close to Brownsville, TX

jimtoo

Pick South Texas. A lot less expensive than Florida, great, friendly people and some really nice parks that have things to do.

Jim M

happykraut

Bob, this is our 4th year in Mission, TX. We've always stayed at Seven Oaks. It is a very nice park with lots of activities and lots of space between rigs.

mlpeloquin

Florida, Texas, southern California around San Diego, then New Mexico and Arizona. I have not been to southern New Mexico or southern Arizona so I cannot say just how great it would be. In the north of New Mexico and Arizona, is is beautiful, but would be down right cold.

dbbls59

SW Arizona would be the closest place with warm temps. Yuma is very warm but water terrable. Not good until you get south of Pheonix, say around Casa Grande, which is a nice place to winter. If you are wanting to travel, south Texas is good. Lowest prices of any winter destination. Spend it on fuel or rent, probably about the same.

Lynn1130

Don't the sand storms hide the burros, snakes and scorpions?

Dust, not sand, unless of course you are in Quartzite but then trying to see them through the crowds of Canadians and Michiganders is difficult too.

rxbristol

Bob, this is our 4th year in Mission, TX. We've always stayed at Seven Oaks. It is a very nice park with lots of activities and lots of space between rigs.

Thanks for the suggestion on Seven Oaks. There are 51 RV parks in Mission and the surrounding area and Seven Oaks seems to rank at the top, so we've made reservations there for this next winter. I've never experienced a totally warm winter and I look forward to one.

happykraut

Thanks for the suggestion on Seven Oaks. There are 51 RV parks in Mission and the surrounding area and Seven Oaks seems to rank at the top, so we've made reservations there for this next winter. I've never experienced a totally warm winter and I look forward to one.
Glad to hear that you are joining us next season. Looking forward to meeting you if we haven't already met before. It is only fair that I tell you that cold fronts head through here occasionally for a day or two.

rxbristol

Glad to hear that you are joining us next season. Looking forward to meeting you if we haven't already met before. It is only fair that I tell you that cold fronts head through here occasionally for a day or two.

Look forward to meeting you as well. We should meet in Goshen--as the old saying goes, "God willing and the creeks don't rise."

Piperflyer

Looking to spend the winter of 2017-2018 in South Texas. Does anyone know any owners in the Llano Rio Grande Lake Park Resort in Mercedes, Tx that would have a spot for rent for 6 months? Heard good things about this park and would like to check it out. I am up for other suggestions for parks also. Thanks

chiefneon

Howdy!

We like spending the winter months at our homebase in Livingston, Tx at the Escapees.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

We just finished our 7th Winter in the Gulf Shores, Alabama area.
I've been to Florida and it's too expensive, busy & they hate Snowbirds.
Gulf Shores area is much cheaper than Florida, because it's their off season.
We always find lots to do, and during Marti Gras lots of parades to go too.
Our park actually has a float, so we are also in some of the parades throwing beads & Moon Pies.
What a hoot that is.
If y'all like seafood, it's all fresh here.
Gulf Shores, Alabama is 30 miles West of Pensacola, Florida, right on the beautiful shores of the Gulf of Mexico, hence it's name, Gulf Shores.
We have been to Naval Air Station Pensacola & watched the Blue Angels practice, and let me tell y'all that is something to experience.
Been to the Marti Gras museum in Mobile, which is very interesting.
I learned at the museum that Marti Gras started in Mobile, Alabama 100 years before New Orleans, Louisiana, yep, 100 years before.
So if your in the mood to try something different, besides Florida, Texas, or Arizona, check us out in the Gulf Shores, Alabama area, you may just up and find yourself a new Winter home.
Check us out online.

Hockster