Will adding a Water Filtration System Affect Water Pressure?

crmfghtr

I'm adding a water filtration system I purchased at Home Depot (Whole House Type). The filtration system has a canister with a removeable filter inside the canister that screws on / off. I'm going to mount the canister outside the wall in the basement near the plumbing. This way I can change the filter without removing the wall. I drilled two holes in the wall for the hoses to connect to the filter. I'm running a 1/2" FIP x 1/2" FIP x 30" Braided Stainless Line from the water inlet to the "IN" on the filtration canister. I will then run a 1/2" FIP x 1/2" FIP x 20" Braided Stainless Line from the "OUT" on the canister to the maniforld where the Original inlet hose was connected. This way I figure I will have filtered water running through the entire system including the pump, which will hopefully help make it last longer.
My question is, Will I still need a water regulator at the Female faucet on the Coach or will the Filter help reduce pressure ? Does anyone have an answer.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Will adding a Water Filtration System Affect Water Pressure

The filter may reduce the pressure slightly, but I would not rely on it as a true regulator. Depending on where you camp, consider putting a sediment filter ahead of a carbon filter. That will help prevent your more expensive filter from clogging if there is any sand or other material in the water source.

I use a two canister filter system (RV-SED1 followed by F1Pb filter), along with a Watts N55BG regulator that I keep in a tote under the UDC. For good information on filters, check out this site. It's where some of us get our filters, regulators, and even hoses.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

danemayer

I agree with John. Filters, especially the expensive ones that trap 1 micron particles, do reduce water pressure, but it's not likely to help if you get to a campground with really high water pressure.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

I'm adding a water filtration system I purchased at Home Depot (Whole House Type). The filtration system has a canister with a removeable filter inside the canister that screws on / off. I'm going to mount the canister outside the wall in the basement near the plumbing. This way I can change the filter without removing the wall. I drilled two holes in the wall for the hoses to connect to the filter. I'm running a 1/2" FIP x 1/2" FIP x 30" Braided Stainless Line from the water inlet to the "IN" on the filtration canister. I will then run a 1/2" FIP x 1/2" FIP x 20" Braided Stainless Line from the "OUT" on the canister to the maniforld where the Original inlet hose was connected. This way I figure I will have filtered water running through the entire system including the pump, which will hopefully help make it last longer.
My question is, Will I still need a water regulator at the Female faucet on the Coach or will the Filter help reduce pressure ? Does anyone have an answer.

I put mine behind the bulk head wall and modified the wall with a sliding plexiglass door. It will be better protected in there.

crmfghtr

I put mine behind the bulk head wall and modified the wall with a sliding plexiglass door. It will be better protected in there.

Do you have any pictures. I'd like to see how you did that. Sounds like a better mouse trap.

robnmo

We use a whole house filter also, we mount ours to the underbelly on a permanent hanger I installed, it has quick connects for the water hose attachments, we had a problem when the pressure regulator was before the filter, but when I switched the regulator to after the filter then into the RV it has worked great. The filter needs full pressure not reduced, so step the pressure down after the filter before the RV.

evolvingpowercat

If you use a fancier cartridge in your whole house filter with activated charcol be sure to run a cold faucet wide open after you put in a new cartridge you will get some black powder coming out initialy and you don't want that going into the hot side and ending up in your hot water tank.

Plus, its kind of grosse to open the a tap and fill a glass and have black stuff coming out in the water, if you have never had a water filter with charcol in before to know to expect it when you first use it until you get it flushed out of the filter.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I had a SOB that had a single water filter built in the basement. One winter it cracked on me (Winterized no water in it.) and leaked all over the basement when I set up to take a trip in the spring.

Water is the worst enemy of an RV, so I went to Lowes and bought two canisters and filters. I also have the Watts N55B. I use them everywhere reguardles of the water pressure at the shore post

The campground I am in now has a water pressure of 35 psi and I am using both the water filters and regulator. If you are at some campgrounds they use well water which has a lot of minerals in the water.

DSC_0236 [1024x768].JPG Watts N55BM.jpg

That's what we do...
BC

crmfghtr

We use a whole house filter also, we mount ours to the underbelly on a permanent hanger I installed, it has quick connects for the water hose attachments, we had a problem when the pressure regulator was before the filter, but when I switched the regulator to after the filter then into the RV it has worked great. The filter needs full pressure not reduced, so step the pressure down after the filter before the RV.

Thanks for that information. I did not know that, it makes sense though now i'm going to have to re-think my fittings. When I was setup at a full hookup site this past weekend, another gentelmen who had a Landmark Rushmore told me the water in the campground was terrible. He said if you don't believe me pour some water in a clear glass and look at it. He also said it smelled like pond water. Since we were by a Lake, I thought maybe they pumped the water from the lake without regard to filtering it first. For this reason I wanted a filteration system. I only wish Hartland would offer this system as an option, I would bet most would order it.

robnmo

Home depot, $45.00 all brass and copper, easy on and off, takes about 2 minutes to hook up or unhook from water supply, only thing on the underbelly is 2 cut open eye hooks. We like outta sight outta mind. Works for us. Good luck and enjoy your retirement ours is bliss. :)

ZNK

Does anyone have some suggestions on what is needed exactly to add a filtration system? I am intending to install a "home" type filter, rather than an inline filter.

danemayer

To me, hoses under pressure = risk of high-volume leaks and flooding. For this reason my filters and hoses stay outside the coach except for necessary connections in the UDC.

RollingHome

Robert, Some excellent tips and ideas where brought out. I know I learned some things. However, in the end it is a matter of choice. For me, keeping the filters outside of my RV is one way to make sure I don't create a problem for myself. There are enough things to happen so I figure, why add another. A leak while you all went out could really ruin an otherwise nice trip. We had a 1/4" ice maker line break in our home while we were away for the weekend, it did thousands of $$$ in damage. The damage that little line did was absolutely amazing - it was as bad as a house fire. For me, the filter stays outside and below floor level.

porthole

Retired

the water in the campground was terrible. He said if you don't believe me pour some water in a clear glass and look at it. He also said it smelled like pond water. Since we were by a Lake, I thought maybe they pumped the water from the lake without regard to filtering it first. For this reason I wanted a filteration system. I

Well water.

If they were pumping from the pond you would need some expensive filtration to make that safe!

Reminds me of the Hatteras rally a few years ago. After 2 days a grabbed a glass of water and couldn't believe had bad it was. I felt so bad for the dogs, they had been drinking it for 2 days..........

We use a simple whole house sediment filter outside and a 4 stage filter for drinking at the sink. What I am using is actually a RO system without the RO membrane.

beardedone

Beardedone

I also keep my whole house filter and regulator in a lockable tote under the UDC. This eliminates any risk of leakage is eliminated and facilitates easy access, also I don't have to worry about any accidental freezing in the shoulder season. When we are going to be away from the trailer for any length of time I turn off the water supply so I don't have to worry about leaks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Just thought I'd repost the photos of my filtration system, for reference. With the tote, the filters are protected from sunlight, the elements, and insects (I taped sections of screen aroung the hose openings). I can fit my 50ft. supply line and accessory line in it, along with a water proof bag of fittings and extra sediment filters. It all goes in the basement when in storage. In the spring, I install new filters and flush them in the laundry room before putting it all back in the trailer. The photo with the lid on is before I added the water meter. I also use a garden hose stand between the ODS slides near the pedestal to coil the extra hose on so it's not laying in the dirt/mud all summer.

View attachment 21005View attachment 21006

Bigburd

The filter may reduce the pressure slightly, but I would not rely on it as a true regulator. Depending on where you camp, consider putting a sediment filter ahead of a carbon filter. That will help prevent your more expensive filter from clogging if there is any sand or other material in the water source.

I use a two canister filter system (RV-SED1 followed by F1Pb filter), along with a Watts N55BG regulator that I keep in a tote under the UDC. For good information on filters, check out this site. It's where some of us get our filters, regulators, and even hoses.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Same with us.

robnmo

Hopefully I attached the photos correctly . Here's what we did, and works great for us, it's quick on quick off, and like some others we prefer everything outside and underneath our RV and we try to avoid more totes in the cargo hold. The yellow hose stays attached in the UDC we just pull it up through the bottom opening and screw on the cover plates, the filter assembly sets inside the coil of hose in front storage. Just another option.

Attachments

• Cyclone Filter (1).JPG
    Cyclone Filter (1).JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Cyclone Filter (2).JPG
    Cyclone Filter (2).JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Cyclone Filter (3).JPG
    Cyclone Filter (3).JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 87

crmfghtr

Thanks Everyone, it seems there are so many ways to do this. I was trying to hard-plumb the filteration system but it looks like from the images some of you posted it would be a lot better to make it as easy and leak proof as possible. One of the things I was pondering when I came up with my idea was how am i going to deal with the water in the canister when I change the filter if it is mounted in the basement. Removing the canister could cause spills into the basement area or I would have to put a shut-off-valve and towels below the canister to change the filter. You guys have already pondered this and developed a work around that is simple and effective. Thanks for the great advice.

crmfghtr

What a great design, did you have the yellow hose custom made or can you purchase various sizes. The shortest "White" hose I have found is about 4 foot. how long is your yellow hose to your filter