Will adding a Water Filtration System Affect Water Pressure?

robnmo

Re: Will adding a Water Filtration System Affect Water Pressure

What a great design, did you have the yellow hose custom made or can you purchase various sizes. The shortest "White" hose I have found is about 4 foot. how long is your yellow hose to your filter

Well it's only yellow because we haven't made up an OFFICIAL white one :D Originally I had the filter mounted to go straight up into the hole accessing the UDC, it was too hard to work the quick connect fittings so I angled the filter exit and moved the canister forward to make it easier on an old guy........I LIKE EASY. The hose we simply cut to length and added a male hose mender then quick connect coming out of the regulator. On the hose mender, some are pretty low quality and don't hold well, the ones we use are heavier and we've never had one come apart. We made up some various length hoses since campground hookups are ALWAYS the same distance from the RV. (believe that I've got a real nice bridge over a bay in your fine state we'll sell ya CHEAP) :)

crmfghtr

After looking at your design, I looked under my Landmark and there is no solid surface under the rig as is yours. I would have to drill into the frame to get the same effect. So, i'm thinking about hanging the filter into the UDC where I can remove it when in travel mode. I could connect all the fittings, then hang it inside the UDC. This way it is accessible and I won't have to crawl under the coach. Of course it would require (2) 90 degree elbows on the filter to allow me to connect everything and still be able to close the baggage door. Any thoughts on this approach.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A consideration, rather than drilling into the frame, would be to look in the electrical department at Home Depot for little beam clamps. They're used for hanging conduit, et.al., from the beam flanges. This one runs 78-cents. Having everything in a tote works for us since we are on a seasonal site. But even so, we don't have a lot of stuff in the basement.

Our previous TT came with a single canister filter under the sink. Very tight quarters and a real mess when I had to change it.

View attachment 21026

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Someone said in a previous post there are many ways to do it. They are right. Here is what worked for us.
IMAG0623.jpgIMAG0565.jpg

robnmo

Or you could pick up a #14 self tapper and it'll go right up through the frame. We don't have a solid surface either, I ran the bolt through the underbelly board and into the frame, that #14 driller is the exact same size Heartland uses to drill through the frame for the underbelly, and various other things like LP line brackets, etc. Actually when I moved our filter assembly forward there was no existing bolt or hole and that's what I used no muss no fuss ( I just used a 1 inch instead of the 2 inch Heartland uses). :) The bracket is simply a piece of all strut angle, the hangers are 2 large eye bolts with a piece cut out to accomodate the 3/4 inch pipe and two nuts on each eye bolt on each side of the angle. Whatever works for you and your RV, lot's of ideas here to choose from. Good luck.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

I was also on the fence - external vs internal. Because of the work I wanted to do I decided to go internal. The points about water leaking and changing filters are true to a degree but I think that my mod addressed some of the leaking issues - as it is completely plumbed in. And the issue of access to change filters was addressed also with the addition of a hinged door. Take a look at my Mod in the Cyclone forum //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30108-On-Board-Fresh-Water-Filtration-System?highlight=

IMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpg

Just another Option. Note the Pressure gauges one on the input side and the second on the output side ( also measures the pressure of the on board water pump).

Kevin.

Last edited:

RollingHome

Good idea Kevin, I put in/out gauges on my "CUNO" brand (industrial type) filter which has a solid blue filter housing. I did this to help me know when to change the element... was hard to see a differential though, oh well. I also drilled and tapped the bottom of the filter housing for a 1/4" IPT petcock to reduce this mess at change time, that worked well.

crmfghtr

Well after all the help and advice from you good people, here is what I did. I put it in the UDC, This way I can get to it easier and everytime I hook the water hose to it I will be reminded to check the filter. I purchased a 4 stage filter which handles sediment, chemicals, bacteria and forgot the other one. It was pricey though, but I choose it because I'm not that big of fan of Camp***Wo***. I can hook my inlet water hose from the bottom of the UDC to the female coupler, then a 4 foot hose from the adjustable water pressure regulator to the water inlet on the coach. When I need to change the filter if there is any water in the canister it will spill into the bottom of the UDC and out the drain holes.

View attachment 21038View attachment 21039View attachment 21040

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Well after all the help and advice from you good people, here is what I did. I put it in the UDC, This way I can get to it easier and everytime I hook the water hose to it I will be reminded to check the filter. I purchased a 4 stage filter which handles sediment, chemicals, bacteria and forgot the other one. It was pricey though, but I choose it because I'm not that big of fan of Camp***Wo***. I can hook my inlet water hose from the bottom of the UDC to the female coupler, then a 4 foot hose from the adjustable water pressure regulator to the water inlet on the coach. When I need to change the filter if there is any water in the canister it will spill into the bottom of the UDC and out the drain holes.

View attachment 21038View attachment 21039View attachment 21040
Looks great. Nice installation. Remember to never go longer than 6 months or one season with carbon filters not being exchanged. They can support bug growth.