Will be at Elkhart Campground June 6th

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Justin and I will be taking off earlier than I planned to come to Elkhart. We will be in on June the 6th and leave on the 8th to drop off the Landmark at RV Capital Service Center for some adjustments. Hopefully get it back Monday evening but will not hold my breathe. Plan on checking out some things in the area and probably stopping in at the fairgrounds to see who is around from the Heartland family.

Later,

SmokeyBare

I'll keep a Light on at Goshen Fairgrounds for ya Mark... and Traveler (Rick) and I are warming up the Crew at RV Capital for you as well... They should be rested by the time your Rig shows Up... :)

Till we Rally our Wagons in Goshen...

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well it looks like we are going to have this mini rally at Elkhart Campground. We will be pulling back in today from Mor/Ryde. We are in J303. Travel safe.. See you when you get there...
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well it is only two more nights after tonight.

I was having a brain bubble. After I had my IS system installed, has my height changed much if any? I don't know..

How many of you know what your traveling height is? If you saw an underpass and it showed the clearance. What do you think you would clear?

I want to say my height is 13'-3" and I would clear about 13'-6" but would be concerned with anything less.

What about the rest of you. Any ideas of how we could measure the max height of our rigs in an easy way?

BC

irvin56

Safe way is from roof when hooked up

No other way to do it with out getting on top. As you need the air conditioner cover height and anything else you have sticking up from roof
and if your rig is setup higher then the next guys pickup, models, makes,2x, 4x as they will all be a bit different.
also if you have two different trucks you use yourself to haul the trailer around town, as some do.

might only be a few inchs, but that may be enough to rip off the AC
or top of trailer.
Anyone knows a different way, please jump in

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was thinking of some way that we could drive under say a PVC bar held up by a couple of vertical pieces of tubing.

Another thing. When your driving and going under a tree branch or such how do you know you can go under it.

I had a driving instructor at Dick Reed's RV Driving School tell me when I am 150 ft away from the obstruction, looking straight ahead, if I raise my eyes up to see it I can go under it. If I look down from the straight level view I most likely can not go under it. I would like to practice this to see if it works.

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The way that I measured mine is by using a step ladder and my six foot level. I layed my level on the highest point, made it level and with the help of my wife, measured from the level to the ground. If the overpass is marked as a 13'-6" clearance I am scepticale of accuaracy. What if there was some repaving. Did anyone remeasure? Ah.........the parinoia slowly sets in.
Just my thoughts.
Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Same here.. That is why I said 13'-6". That would give me 3" to spare. At that height it might be good to check befoe going under it.

CrazyScotsman

Another thing. When your driving and going under a tree branch or such how do you know you can go under it.

.After doing it for a while it becomes second nature, you can judge heights etc, well at least I can, but there again I have been a chauffeur de camion ( Fancy words for truck driver ) since 1978.

Tom of Ypsi

When measuring height make sure you are hooked up and on level ground. This will give you your true height.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
After getting our IS installed our height INCREASED by 2 inches. I don't try anything under 13'10". If I am correct national minimum standard is 14 feet. Truckers know. So if it is less than 14' it is considered low clearance. You can search for low clearances by state and get listings to see if there are any on your route. But this is not absolute.

CrazyScotsman

After getting our IS installed our height INCREASED by 2 inches. I don't try anything under 13'10". If I am correct national minimum standard is 14 feet. Truckers know. So if it is less than 14' it is considered low clearance. You can search for low clearances by state and get listings to see if there are any on your route. But this is not absolute.

13'6" on State Hwys, 14' on Interstate. Maximum legal height is 13'6", more than that you are illegal . Oversize permit time.:eek:

Pulltab

On Morrydes installation manual for the IS it says the height may have to be raised about 2 inches. Probably due to the extra travel the suspension now has. If you would have checked the clearance over the tire to the bottom of the floor you would probably find it was about 3 inches. The IS needs more to prevent bottoming out. I would bet your are at least 2 inches higher. You could always try one of those low overhangs like that guy did with his fifth wheel that made so much coverage on the news :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree that my coach should be higher than it was before I went in. When I measured it with 6k axles it was 13'-1". I then had 7k axles installed and now am using the IS which they should have raised 1". I am guessing I am 13'-3" or 4". I need to know and plan to measure it when I get to the rally.

BC

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well Justin and I made it in around noonish. Trip went well, no problems. Got here, drove past a Landmark and a couple of Bighorns. Will check them out later. Had to drive around Elkhart a little to get familiar again. Checked out the factory and was surprised at how few rigs there were. We then proceeded down to the fairgrounds to see who was around and we had just stopped to talk with Smokeybare and his wife when Jim B. pulled in. He setup and I told him that Justin and I were going to hit the South Side Soda Shop on our way back to the campground and Jim's ears perked up and said "wait for me". Well it went from just me and Justin to everyone from Heartland who was there at the fairgrounds in just about 10 minutes time. How awesome is that. So we had Traveler07, tomypsi,JimB,Smokeybare,katkens for a quaint social at the soda shop. While we all had fun, Justin was getting a bit frustrated with me so I will have to do something nice for him for being such a good sport while we hung out with everyone. I can remember being thirteen and going with my parents to get-togethers and not being too thrilled. He really is a good sport about it though.

So today we will hit a local pancake place this morning just down the street then off to Bontrager's Surplus to see more cool stuff. We will be leaving around 11:30 if anyone wants to tag along. we have room for three. It is about 1/2 hour into Michigan. I hear it is way better than the local surplus' here in Elkhart. We will see.

Later all,
Mark

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
mrcomer I tried to catch up with you for two days but you stayed in the road and I was never able to get up with you. Enjoy the rally and maybe I will catch you another time down the road

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lin & I arrived at Elkhart C'ground today and after getting set up spent the afternoon solving all the worlds problems with the rest of the crew here. Wigleys, TXBobcat, Goldenwingers and Mariposa. Bobcat & I also checked the capacity of the spare steel wheel and found it to have the same capacity as our Alloy Wheels. 3750#. So our spare wheel can handle the "G" tires. See ya'll pretty soon.

jimtoo

We are here in Terre Haute, In.,,,,Met up with Jay and Stella (Jayc), Bill and Ornelle (osims), and Ken and Kathy (katkens). So we will see you early birds tomorrow. Three Texans and a ....Ill something.....

Jim M