Wingard G2/Wally/Dish Issue

rjr6150

Challenge for the Satellite gurus. Working with the following.
1. Winegard G2+
2. Wally Receiver
3. Dish
Here is where it gets interesting.
Wally in entertainment center above TV power inserter in the UDC hooked up to satellite connections all works as should.

Trying to clean things up a bit moved power inserter into entertainment center hooking up everything acquires satellite signal for about 5-10 seconds then nothing. Have changed all fittings and F81 splices.
Have even gone so far as to bypass all coach wiring and go directly to Wally and power inserter in entertainment center with same result.

Anyone with thoughts or ideas stop by. I’m totally out of them.

We arrive Pueblo on Friday with the Rat Team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldelevatorman

We never had good luck with the Wallys, went back to the 211's and they're fine. Using the Pathway X2 sat and sit it on top most times. At some point will install Dish Traveler permanently. Now I can't watch sports if the DW is watching on the networks etc. Thought about getting another portable sat. dish for bedroom and outside TV's! See you at the rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

We never had good luck with the Wallys, went back to the 211's and they're fine. Using the Pathway X2 sat and sit it on top most times. At some point will install Dish Traveler permanently. Now I can't watch sports if the DW is watching on the networks etc. Thought about getting another portable sat. dish for bedroom and outside TV's! See you at the rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an old 211 even tried that with zero results. Other than the fact DW would shoot me I would have a Traveler installed at the rally.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
1. Winegard G2+
2. Wally Receiver
3. Dish
Wally in entertainment center above TV power inserter in the UDC hooked up to satellite connections all works as should.

Trying to clean things up a bit moved power inserter into entertainment center hooking up everything acquires satellite signal for about 5-10 seconds then nothing. Have changed all fittings and F81 splices.
Have even gone so far as to bypass all coach wiring and go directly to Wally and power inserter in entertainment center with same result.

It almost sounds like something is blocking the power from the inserter to the dish antenna, Make sure that the power inserter is not reversed (if this is possible) also might try changing location of where the power inserter is located in the connection of everything,

rjr6150

It almost sounds like something is blocking the power from the inserter to the dish antenna, Make sure that the power inserter is not reversed (if this is possible) also might try changing location of where the power inserter is located in the connection of everything,

Tried that. The inserter is marked receiver and antenna. Strange thing is measuring voltage at the dish I have it.

Run all new coax the good stuff from satellite installer direct to output of inserter nothing.

The baffling part all works with the inserter in the UDC using existing coax.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Tried that. The inserter is marked receiver and antenna. Strange thing is measuring voltage at the dish I have it.

Run all new coax the good stuff from satellite installer direct to output of inserter nothing.

The baffling part all works with the inserter in the UDC using existing coax.

Do you know how much coax your signal is having to pass power through?
Barrel connectors and splitters could also have an effect on the amount power passed.

My example, I have diverters in my system and unfortunately, some of the inverters I was sent limit power to 1 amp and other diverters I ended up using allow 2+ amps. Depending on which antenna I use, The lower power capable diverter will work with one pf the stationary antennas but does not allow enough power to pass for other antennas such as my dish tailgater to work properly.

You could measure appropriate voltage with a voltmeter but under load this voltage could be dropping significantly and causing the signal to be lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you considered moving the power inserter to be on the back side of the UDC port (If possible) so that your UDC is less cluttered and the power inserter is closer to your antenna than having the power inserter in the entertainment center? This could also eliminate issues with cable length and connector power losses.

richheck

Seasoned Member
1. Winegard G2+
2. Wally Receiver
3. Dish

Randy, when I got my Wally’s (just after they became available) I had to connect them to a standard dish receiver (1000.2) to allow them to download the necessary updates to be able to connect to my Pathway X2. After doing so, I haven’t had any issues with them, much better than the 211’s I had before, UHF remote doesn’t require line of site, able to record and watch different channels, etc.

danemayer

In the UDC, the power inserter is sending voltage directly to the dish. In other locations, you may be going through a splitter that doesn't pass the 18V DC (or whatever it is).

The comparable situation on Directv installs is that on the 4-way Directv splitter, only 1 position can pass the inserter voltage.

rjr6150

Have even used direct coax connections running into the door and then directly to the inserter. Only thing between the Wally and inserter would be one F81 barrel connection using a rated satellite barrel connecting two lengths of 50’ coax.

I'm beyond stumped!!!!!!

This is why sort of tossed out the Pueblo Rally challenge. ��������

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Have even used direct coax connections running into the door and then directly to the inserter. Only thing between the Wally and inserter would be one F81 barrel connection using a rated satellite barrel connecting two lengths of 50’ coax.

I'm beyond stumped!!!!!!

This is why sort of tossed out the Pueblo Rally challenge. ��������

Could be a power loss issue or broken internal wire in the coax.

Is your coax rated for 3GHz? High quality RG6?

100 ft is quite a long run, Winegard recommend using 25' cable on G2.

You might also verify the setup switch for your G2 are properly set for your provider (Dish in this case)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have Dish and a G2 as well. Anything over a 50 ft run and ours will not work. I had to replace my coax after two years of use, I am guessing it had a break somewhere.

rjr6150

Guessing I’m going to live with it as is.

All coax is 3GHz rated and high quality. Have tried four different cables. My satellite buddy is beyond frustrated with it also .

I’m guessing it’s due to length. Since Birthday is Friday May have to treat myself to a Traveler.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Although not exactly portable as the G2, A full size dish antenna would work fine at 100 ft and be much less expensive than the traveler. It does take more time to setup and the signal strength would be much better in stormy conditions.