Winter Cover

srgt30

Been looking around for a winter cover for the 3800 and not finding much luck as they all seem to be a foot or two short. Would like to keep it inside but may not be an option so I'm looking for a good quality cover. Anybody get one yet for a 3800 or any suggestions.

brianharrison

I do not have personal experience with a cover but have heard good reviews of the Calmark covers --> Calmark Covers Website

I looked into a number of years ago for winter storage and decided the risk of damage to the trailer was greater than just leaving it uncovered (rubbing from cover when windy, or ice buildup with thaw/freeze cycles).

If I was worried for sun damage ie summer coverage I may reevaluate my choice; but alas - I live in the cold white north........

Hope this helps.
Brian

Lynn1130

I am concerned about moisture build up under the cover and mold. Even in our very dry conditions here it seems like it might be an issue. In high moisture areas it would really concern me. I suppose they make some that breath but I don't know.

I am looking as well, I went to the Cabelas web, see link below site as I have some points to use toward it, they are usually over priced on most items though. The width of a Toy Hauler is wider than a normal 5th wheel I think. I would like to build a barn but it ain't in the cards this year. I live in a northern climate so snow and moisture is a concern. I am not sure this one is wide enough for a RW305 or a typical 5er TH. Anyone have a recommendation?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Coverking-Presidium8482-5th-Wheel-Travel-Trailer-Covers/716389.uts

dave10a

I think a good wax would do just fine. I think the anti-billowing devices on my slide toppers would rip a cover. If I was winter storing I would look into shrink wrap like the use on boats. A good heat gun and a ladder will do that job well.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
You can't get any better than CalMark. They custom made to your particular rig. Must send in detailed measurements and photos.

Gaffer

Ditto the Calmark. They want a bunch of measurements. The fabric breaths but you still want a clean roof before covering it for the winter to prevent ant organics from turning black.

steiny93

some random input

our last 5er was 8 years old when we traded; it had spent every day inside unless it was being used
after we traded we drove through the lot to pickup our new rig; our 5er looked brand new when sitting next to the other similarly aged rigs

i'd strongly consider paying for winter storage; i think it matters quite a bit when the years start to add up