Winter traveling

INDave

Thinking of taking my bighorn fifth wheel camper to Florida in February. It could be very cold so what do I do about the water. Will be leaving from northeast Indiana and would like to stop for the night in northern Georgia if I put water in before I leave will it freeze on the way down? Do I have to stay at a hotel on the way down and wait till I get to the campground in Florida before putting water in. Thanks for any input

Diamondjim

You obviously have the rig winterized - IF it were me, (assuming you'll stay at an open campground on your trip south) fill container(s) (large thermos type jug) with water for drinking, cooking and flushing if you are concerned that it will be too cold in northern Georgia.
If you want hot water without filling your hot water heater, we have used our crockpot to heat water during stays in our park model at -10°.
Just sayin...............Good luck with your traveling, it cold (68°) here in Florida this morning.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thinking of taking my bighorn fifth wheel camper to Florida in February. It could be very cold so what do I do about the water. Will be leaving from northeast Indiana and would like to stop for the night in northern Georgia if I put water in before I leave will it freeze on the way down? Do I have to stay at a hotel on the way down and wait till I get to the campground in Florida before putting water in. Thanks for any input

We have a couple of water jugs (15 gallons total) that we fill and take with us for cooking, drinking and flushing while on the road.

Generally most campgrounds have shower facilities, so we use those until we get to the warmer climate.

I generally wait until we reach our final destination before dewinterizing the plumbing.

GOTTOYS

We take 5-10 gallons of water in a couple jugs. After 2-3 days heading south we can start hooking up to water in a campground so it's no big deal..It's okay to dump into the tanks. If such a small amount freezes it won't hurt anything...Don

Tundra2084

We are heading to Florida on the 21st of December, but have left in January and February as well, and we live in Ontario Canada. Our first night is in Lexington Kentucky at LA Quinta Inn right off of I75. We travel with 3 dogs and they allow pets at no extra charge. It's also located next to Cracker Barrel for dinner and has big rig parking. We always carry bottled water so while traveling we have water available for us and the dogs.
Second day of travel we make it to the Georgia and then stay at a campground where we empty the tanks and plumbing of the pink stuff. By then your fine adding some water if needed but why carry the extra weight if you don't have to. Third day is Central Florida and our destination campground, this is where everything is connected to the campgrounds utilities.

We've been doing this for the past 10 yrs, taking 3 days to travel safely down south. Now we take 4 days so less drive time each day and more relaxed where ever we stop for the night.

John T Bettencourt

If you are concerned about water freezing in your black tank, do what I do and buy some windshield wash fluid at about a dollar a gallon and use that for toliet use. No worry about freezing.

Flapper

What part of central Fla do you stay. We are going to Lake Placid this year for the first time and wondered if there was a HL Florida group that gets together like in Texas.

Diamondjim

What part of central Fla do you stay. We are going to Lake Placid this year for the first time and wondered if there was a HL Florida group that gets together like in Texas.
My home is about 20 miles north of Lake Placid. Lovely area LP, have a number of friends who live there.
Walter & Linda West are the Florida Chapter Leaders of HOC. Chapter has a rally planned for April in the Panhandle. You can find information here on the forums.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk