Winterizing - Compressed Air or Antifreeze????

ILH

The black tank flush requires line pressure - how do you feed the antifreeze into it?

rgwilliams69

Our waterworks area includes a coiled hose/nozzle that I winterize as well. After running a little through the nozzle, I turn the water off and take the nozzle off and plug the line into the black tank flush. Turn on the cold knob and let the pump drive the antifreeze through the hose, the black tank flush, and into the black tank. Just takes a little, but then you do not have to worry about the black tank flush valve freezing up. So the pump does the work here just like with the rest of the lines.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My black tank flush now has a real check valve at the hose fitting. I just press the little tab in and let the water in the line between the anti-siphon valve and the UDC port drain out. The water between the valve and the tank drains into the tank on its own.

ParkIt

Didn't get a chance to blow out the lines fully but used a non-toxic antifreeze (after getting it re-insulated) since I was running out of time with the temps. Cycled it through the lines just pumping water to the sinks, shower and commode for now as the guy at the marine & RV shop said that should do it in place of blowing the lines first. Not big on antifreeze though once I looked it up, it seems like its not difficult to flush out.
Instead of bleach I use white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, it works the same and won't leave the lines or tanks with a funny taste.

Anyone ever use salt water? I thought about that too but didn't have time to make some up.

Manzan

Parkit, if it gets cold enough salt water will freeze depending how salty it is. More than once I have chewed on salt water icicles created by wind blown waves on Puget Sound. And salt water is quite corrosive.

diesel_doberman

You've wasted 12 gallons of antifreeze, is all. You don't need to put antifreeze in the water heater. Just drain it and leave the anode rod out. That's why there is a bypass valve.

When I by pass it can you still run anti freeze through the hot water lines?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, the bypass just diverts the flow past the inlet to the water heater. Opening the hot and cold faucets inside gets it into the lines.

porthole

Retired
You need a LOT of salt in solution to offer freeze protection. Max out at 20+% salt by weight and you can get approximately -20 degrees F for a freeze temp.

For comparison, seawater freezes around 28 degrees (approx 4% by weight).

A one gallon jug of RV -50 is much easier and more economical.

ILH

...and of course there's always the potential for corrosion issues with salt and metal fittings.

ParkIt

This is why I don't listen to the husband thing when it comes to anything on wheels and why I didn't use salt. That voice in the back of your head that says "um, NO" is the one I listen to even though I'm not sure why at the time ;)