Winterizing Water Heater

richiek

Hello Everyone:

My wife and I recently took possession of a new 2014 Road Warrior 425 TH and as this is our first RV the learning curve has been steep but steady. We just returned last Sunday from our first trip to TN (we had a blast BTW) from central IN and since our first spring trip is slated for a return to TN we decided to store it there for the winter. Which leads to my question about winterizing the WH. I plan to return to TN this weekend to winterize the RV since we ran out of time to complete everything last Sunday. I've discovered from a few other threads that the HW bypass valve is most likely located behind the short panel in the basement directly to the left of (and behind) the UDC. Is that correct? Also, I've drained the red and blue low water lines (as well as the fresh water tank) but there is a nylon bolt on the very bottom of the WH that appears to be a drain plug. Am I correct that I'll need to remove this to fully drain the HW unit prior to winterizing?

Finally, and this is a general winterizing question, once the WH is drained and the bypass valves are in the proper position winterizing should simply entail turning the selector switch in the UDC to "winterize", connecting a hose from to the main water UDC hookup and the other end into the RV antifreeze source, then turning on the water pump and opening each water source valve inside the unit until the antifreeze come out, right? Thanks in advance for any information that you could provide.

danemayer

Hi richiek,

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You seem to have the basics of winterizing, although you didn't mention the refrigerator. If it has an ice maker or water dispenser, you'll need to winterize it as well. Same if you have a washing machine.

We have an owner-written Winterizing Guide that may be helpful. In that directory, there are some other guides you may also find useful. We also have an extensive collection of manufacturer manuals, and some troubleshooting guides.