Yeti package missing?

gbagamer

I have a 2015 bighorn 3570rs and my lines froze this morning. I took off the wall of the basement behind the UDC and started hitting the pipes with my heat gun. I was wondering if someone could point out where my heated "Pump line" is? I have the "pump line" switch on and LED shining bright, but my pump froze solid. Having the yeti package I thought all my lines would be insulated and/or heated. I have attached a slide from the reasons to buy that shows a heated and insulated hose. Am I blind, or do I need to visit the shop for some work?

IMG_1296.JPGIMG_1297.JPGIMG_1298.JPGyeti.jpg

danemayer

Hi gbagamer,

The Yeti package includes tank heaters and heat tape on the main water line, which is the line between fresh tank and pump. From prior posts, the heat tape would seem to be only applied to the part of the Pex line running through the underbelly - not into the pump area. The Yeti package doesn't protect the pump itself, or any of the lines shown in your picture.

What many of us do is to hang a 100W flood lamp in a reflector over the pump. That keeps all of those critical components warm. Just hang it securely so it can't fall down and burn anything.

You'll also want to hang a 60w drop lamp in the UDC to protect the water inlet, valve, and external shower from freezing.

These and many other cold weather tips are included in our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Btw, make sure there's always at least a little water in your tanks when the tank heaters are on. It's possible to burn a hole through an empty tank.

GOTTOYS

It would seem to me if they are going do this Yetti package thing...they would include everything needed to make it work, instead of forcing you to rig up some "Rube Goldberg" junk to get you by...Just my opinion...Don

gbagamer

I agree Don. I didn't realize until it was too late that the water line for the fridge leaves the trailer to go outside unprotected, travels 7 or so feet, and then back into the trailer.

danemayer

It would seem to me if they are going do this Yetti package thing...they would include everything needed to make it work, instead of forcing you to rig up some "Rube Goldberg" junk to get you by...Just my opinion...Don

Maybe it would help to think about what the objective is. I'll throw out some guesses in part based on experience.

overnight low of 20 (F) - The heated underbelly provides protection down to some temperature below freezing, but not way below - assuming you are running your furnace a reasonable amount (some people try to save on propane, so this doesn't always work well).

overnight low of 15 (F) - The Yeti option provides protection to a lower temperature (not sure how low). Again, you have to run the furnace to pump heat. The tank heaters will protect at much lower temps. Fresh water system probably will work at this temp.

overnight low of 10 (F) - My guess is you'd have to start adding mods in addition to the Yeti option and running the furnace.

overnight low of -20 to -30 (F) - If you want to camp in extreme conditions, like -20 or -30 (F), there is to my knowledge no coach that will do the job without extensive mods. There's an expensive motor coach parked in the site next to ours and he's had to do quite a bit of work to keep the water running - and has experienced a number of mornings without running water - and worse.

So in my opinion, how many additional steps you have to take depends largely on how cold you expect it to get. I've installed heat tape on all of my water lines (except washer), and I hang lights, and have a heated mini-skirt area under the trailer, and extra insulation, and a heated water hose. But I want running water in the morning even if it goes down to -30 (F).

GOTTOYS

I've used our trailer in temps as low as 15 degrees many times. No Yetti package, no heat lamps, nothing. The water line from the tank has frozen a couple times but that's all. It generally thaws out after a couple hours of above freezing temps. One of these days I might slide some insulation around it, maybe not. I'm thinking some of this extra cost "Hype" is just that...Once again, just my opinion...Don

Bohemian

I agree Don. I didn't realize until it was too late that the water line for the fridge leaves the trailer to go outside unprotected, travels 7 or so feet, and then back into the trailer.

When I look at most floor plans, there is no reason that any of the water lines (not drains) should be in the basement. It's just a way to build cheaply.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Even with the heat on the line from the tank to the pump, the fresh tank drain hangs below the underbelly, with water in it. If it freezes, the ice most likely will push up into the T which is in that line between the tank and pump. This can cause the pump not to be able to pull water from the tank.

I also agree that the pump is not protected from cold except being behind the basement wall in the interior of the trailer. We have the reflector light shining on ours. I can see the light shining up through my bathroom heat vent, located directly over it, so I can tell it's on.

We made a bunch of mods to make our coach more winter-worthy. One thing I noticed with the entire underbelly down was that some water pipes tended to run right along the outer trailer frame, and touching cold metal probably doesn't help them. Along with adding heating pads, we wrapped the lines with pipe insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

When I look at most floor plans, there is no reason that any of the water lines (not drains) should be in the basement. It's just a way to build cheaply.

I'm curious,

Where do you think the water lines should be, if not in the basement?

OEFVET

I couldn't agree more. If your gonna have an option such as the Yetti and heated tanks, it should protect the pump and all critical parts as well. The heat lamp is innovative but why can't it be included by Heartland.

danemayer

Inside. Like they are in all regulated standard home construction.

There are many spaces and some could be made. Inside back of cabinets, shower surround, closets, moldings.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/how-prevent-water-freezing-inside-pex-pipes

http://www.pexuniverse.com/grundfos-comfort-system

I suppose that could be done, but you're right, it would be more costly to install that way. Also might make service on the water lines more difficult and expensive since you'd have to take walls, cabinets, closets, moldings and showers apart to get at the water lines.

Considering the small percentage of owners who camp in very cold climates, I'd have to wonder if the majority would be happy with the additional cost for which they get no benefit.

danemayer

I couldn't agree more. If your gonna have an option such as the Yetti and heated tanks, it should protect the pump and all critical parts as well. The heat lamp is innovative but why can't it be included by Heartland.

Since I've had to do much of this on my own, for a next coach I'd be delighted if the Yeti option kept the plumbing area warm and included heat tape on ALL water lines. It's expensive and it's a pain to do all that work yourself. The whole underbelly had to be removed to add heat tape and insulation, and running power was no picnic either.

The Yeti option on Landmark is currently $1279. Considering the extra materials and significant extra labor to protect everything, I'd guess the price of the option might go up to around $2500.

I'd be happy to pay the higher price. But since so few people camp in extreme cold like we do, I wonder if most people would prefer to buy a $15 light and hang it themselves.

AAdams

One could install this at the water heater and under the furthest fixture, or in the case of a toy hauler like the RW390 at the wash machine hook ups in the garage. http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-500899_0__?productId=3135231 It works on a timer and displaces the water by pumping hot to the fixture and pushing the tempered water back through the cold line. Since water movement will help keep the pipes from freezing and the hot side would always be hot from the water heater and the cold side would receive the tempered water to help keep it warm. I have not tried this on my RW390 since we will not stay anywhere long that the temps are below 32 degrees.
watts.jpg

Last edited:

Bohemian

I suppose that could be done, but you're right, it would be more costly to install that way. Also might make service on the water lines more difficult and expensive since you'd have to take walls, cabinets, closets, moldings and showers apart to get at the water lines.

Considering the small percentage of owners who camp in very cold climates, I'd have to wonder if the majority would be happy with the additional cost for which they get no benefit.

Minimally difficult to service. Just don't put joints in areas that are inaccessible. Many places are very well accessible by removing contents, drawers, etc.

This is in fact how my motor home is built.

sengli

Honestly, I spoke with one of the engineers on our last heartland big horn factory tour, and he had the same impression ....alot of people do about the yeti package. Most people think, this package is the ultimate protection from any cold weather issue's. And that it includes heat tape on all the water lines( like sticks and bricks), and tank pads. Obviously it does NOT. When I explained this package only had a heat tape on the single water supply line, he was shocked to hear that was all that was included.

What I am saying is there isnt alot of clarification on exactly what this package actually includes.