3650BH missing tank heater fuse?

Brandon_S30

Hello! We recently purchased a 2015 Gateway 3650BH. I noticed today when checking the fuses that slot 14, which is labeled as Tank Heater, is empty. Before I just plug a fuse into there I wanted to make sure that I'm right. I see a wire screwed into slot 14, so it's not a vacant slot. Should I plug a 15 amp fuse in?

Also, I'm looking for a fuse kit on Amazon, and the ones that I've come across say "mini fuse." Is this the correct type? Example

Thank you! This is our first RV and searching this forum has been a TREMENDOUS help!

IMG_1506.jpg

danemayer

Hi Brandon_S30,

Tank heaters can cause damage if there's no water in the tank, so it's possible your dealer removed the fuse to prevent accidental damage that could be caused if someone turned the switch on while looking at the coach.

Before installing a fuse, check the switches in your control panel. If you have separate switches for the tank heaters and for the fresh water line heat tape, turn on the tank heater switch briefly to see if the LED next to the fuse position illuminates. Turning the switch on with a blown or missing fuse should cause the LED to come on. That would prove out that the label is correct. Don't leave the switch on for very long unless there's at least a little water in all tanks.

When using the heat tape or tank heaters, keep in mind that they can drain the battery pretty quickly if you're not plugged into shore power.

I'm not positive, but I think the mini fuses are smaller than the fuses in your coach. They may fit, but the smaller fuses can be difficult to handle.

Brandon_S30

Thank you for your response, Dane.

It looks like there are two tank heater fuse slots. Any idea why the dealer would remove one of the fuses and not the other?

I have only one tank heater switch on my control panel, which I'm assuming would control both tank heaters. I see no LEDs next to the fuse positions, but I did switch on the tank heater and checked the fuse panel... still no LEDs spotted.

Thanks again. I will shop around for fuses that aren't mini!

danemayer

If you have the Yeti option, there would be heat tape on the fresh water line and a tank heating pad on each of your holding tanks. I'd expect the tanks to be on one fuse and the fresh water line heat tape to be on a different one. Or maybe you have something different.

Brandon_S30

No Yeti option, it is not offered for the Gateway. Just two tank heating pads. However, this unit has two blank tanks and two gray tanks. So maybe the heating pads are on the gray tanks? I'll just get a fuse for the missing spot. There's a wire connected to that terminal, so it must be going somewhere that needs power.

Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
To clarify your questions....you should call HL service and talk to them. Have your VIN# handy when you call. The fuses are readily available at any auto parts store. You say there is a wire connected behind the fuse.....there should be 2 wires. One is constant 12V power and one goes to what ever is to be powered.

BTW, in what part of Montana are you??

Brandon_S30

Thanks, Bob. I'm from Great Falls.

I called HL and the guy said that it looks like it was missed and to just put a 15 amp fuse in. Easy enough. Glad I caught that before it's needed.

danemayer

No Yeti option, it is not offered for the Gateway. Just two tank heating pads. However, this unit has two blank tanks and two gray tanks. So maybe the heating pads are on the gray tanks? I'll just get a fuse for the missing spot. There's a wire connected to that terminal, so it must be going somewhere that needs power.

Thanks!
If the tank heaters were factory installed, you might call Heartland back for clarification about which tanks are protected. If only 2 of 5 are heated, that seems very problematic to me. If you have water in the fresh tank it has to be heated or it'll freeze. Same with black tanks - you can't run with black tank valves open, so you need heaters on them. That's 3. You could run with the gray tanks unheated if you leave the valves open. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an option that protects only 2 out of 5 tanks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I was just wondering. We have daughter in Bozeman and we have lots of dirt in "Beautiful Round Up" MT. Our deer are doing just fine and have plenty to eat. In fact, they like our dirt soo much....ya can't even run them off with a stick.

Like Dan said, always make sure there is water in the tanks before you turn it on.

Brandon_S30

Yeah, tons of deer here. It's a problem on the highways.

Heartland said that all tanks should be heated by the one switch - two fuses.

Regarding water in all of the tanks. We plan on usually being hooked up to city water. The owners manual says to drain the fresh water tank if you plan on not using it for over a week, so right now it is drained. But if we want to use the tank heaters it sounds like we would need to put some water in the fresh water tank since we cannot control which tank heaters are on... all or nothing. Also, after dumping the blank tank(s) it sounds like we would want to flush a couple bowls full of water immediately after. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying to be prepared for cold weather, which will be here before we know it.

danemayer

Correct. Keep some water in the fresh tank, which is also pretty handy if your faucet or hose freeze, and add 5 gallons to the black tank after dumping. That's a good practice in any weather.

We have some user guides you may find helpful, including one on Water Systems Winter Usage.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=User Guides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wow! You'll have enough for the whole campground. In 5 seasons, I haven't had to change one, but I keep the small packs of the sizes in my kit.