Tires!!!

Dwhorner

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3260. After 2 sets of china bombs, I replaced with a set of Goodyear G614 RST, G rated. Best decision ever. Over 30,000 miles including an over 11,000 mile trip to Alaska, no issues. Would definitely buy them again. You need to make sure your wheels are rated for 110 psi though.

I have a Mallard (32 ft) with 14” tires. I am considering increasing to 15”, if I have the clearance, so that I can increase to Load Range E prior to a trip to Alaska. Goodyear Endurance is likely my purchase, but do any of you have any experience with increasing wheel and tire size on your rigs? My trailer is a 2020 M252, with “Wide Track.” Will they fit? Should I do it? Thoughts?

Dan_Kate

Hey everybody, I have had the 2nd blowout on my Heartland 3213CK since we bought it in 2018! The first time I bought 4 new TrailerKing tires thinking maybe the first set was just old. Now, after only a couple years and very few miles I've had the 2nd TrailerKing blow out, and I'm done with them! No more cheap China stuff for me. Has anybody used the new Hercules/Cooper Strong Guard C-ST tires? I saw CoveredWagon and Dahillbilly are running the Cooper H-901ST, are they doing good for you?

CoveredWagon

Hey everybody, I have had the 2nd blowout on my Heartland 3213CK since we bought it in 2018! The first time I bought 4 new TrailerKing tires thinking maybe the first set was just old. Now, after only a couple years and very few miles I've had the 2nd TrailerKing blow out, and I'm done with them! No more cheap China stuff for me. Has anybody used the new Hercules/Cooper Strong Guard C-ST tires? I saw CoveredWagon and Dahillbilly are running the Cooper H-901ST, are they doing good for you?
Yup they wear like iron. I also use centamatic wheel balancers, which adds to tire life. Also be sure the tires are properly inflated

Last edited:

david-steph2018

May 6th going up Texas 71 from Columbus, Texas to Austin, we had a tire blowout. We have Sailuns on the Road Warrior, and these are 2 1/2 years old. I think I hit something in the road with the front tire and flipped it up then it punctured the center tire.
When it blew out, I felt the rig wiggle and thought what happened? A few seconds later an individual in a truck passed and told us the tire blew out.
At La Grange Tire, they didn't have any Sailuns, so I had to get a Hercules for the center tire. About 2,000 miles now, no issues.

Dan_Kate

May 6th going up Texas 71 from Columbus, Texas to Austin, we had a tire blowout. We have Sailuns on the Road Warrior, and these are 2 1/2 years old. I think I hit something in the road with the front tire and flipped it up then it punctured the center tire.
When it blew out, I felt the rig wiggle and thought what happened? A few seconds later an individual in a truck passed and told us the tire blew out.
At La Grange Tire, they didn't have any Sailuns, so I had to get a Hercules for the center tire. About 2,000 miles now, no issues.
Thanks for the reply, did you get Cooper Strong Guard C-ST tires?

taskswap

I've also had those Trailer King RST's blow out on me way before their service life. Three on a single trip. Others have posted some brand recommendations already - I'm just chiming in to add three more thoughts.

1. If you can, definitely invest in a TPMS. These trailer tires are often inflated to 80-100psi and with these campers weighing so much (ours is 16250 "wet") that can be 4000lbs+ on each tire. That's an entire sedan sitting on a single tire. Being even a little low can put a lot of strain on them, and temperature has a big impact too. Towing in full sun can add 30 degrees right there, and you can become dangerously over-inflated just towing a few hours on a hot day if you don't know it's happening.

2. This requires a TPMS, but react as quickly as you possibly can to any blowout to slow down and pull over. It's not just common sense. Once one tire blows, the other tire on the same side is now carrying double the load! If they were already stressed, this makes things so much worse. One tip I learned from an old-timer but never tried myself is if you have a blowout, after replacing that tire, rotate the other (still good but stressed) tire to the other side of the trailer. I don't know if this makes much difference but I plan to try it next time myself. Almost every time I've had more than one blowout, it was always the "sister" to the tire that blew earlier.

3. Next time you buy tires, get the next load range up. Trailer tires are not actually all that expensive - my truck tires cost like $450 each, but I just put Load Range G tires on to replace my Trailer King Load Range E's (the ones that came with the camper) when those self-shredded. The spec on the info plate on the side of the camper is the minimum - you can always upgrade. They were only $15 more each, and it's good insurance IMO.

CoveredWagon

I've also had those Trailer King RST's blow out on me way before their service life. Three on a single trip. Others have posted some brand recommendations already - I'm just chiming in to add three more thoughts.

1. If you can, definitely invest in a TPMS. These trailer tires are often inflated to 80-100psi and with these campers weighing so much (ours is 16250 "wet") that can be 4000lbs+ on each tire. That's an entire sedan sitting on a single tire. Being even a little low can put a lot of strain on them, and temperature has a big impact too. Towing in full sun can add 30 degrees right there, and you can become dangerously over-inflated just towing a few hours on a hot day if you don't know it's happening.

2. This requires a TPMS, but react as quickly as you possibly can to any blowout to slow down and pull over. It's not just common sense. Once one tire blows, the other tire on the same side is now carrying double the load! If they were already stressed, this makes things so much worse. One tip I learned from an old-timer but never tried myself is if you have a blowout, after replacing that tire, rotate the other (still good but stressed) tire to the other side of the trailer. I don't know if this makes much difference but I plan to try it next time myself. Almost every time I've had more than one blowout, it was always the "sister" to the tire that blew earlier.

3. Next time you buy tires, get the next load range up. Trailer tires are not actually all that expensive - my truck tires cost like $450 each, but I just put Load Range G tires on to replace my Trailer King Load Range E's (the ones that came with the camper) when those self-shredded. The spec on the info plate on the side of the camper is the minimum - you can always upgrade. They were only $15 more each, and it's good insurance IMO.
Also add,,,, speed adds to pressure in tires.