Wet and rotted floor on 2018 model

atrinh15

Any update on this at all? Or any other owners have something similar happen? Im looking at a 2020 Mallard love the layout and colors of the rig. But hearing horror stories like this make me wanna stay away.

Jtw112914

Yes, I was able to fix everything I believe. I replaced all four “wiper” gaskets on the sides of the slides (front and back), and found that the top gasket on the large slide was leaking and allowing rain water to get in when the slide was closed. I was able to get all damaged sub flooring replaced. I don’t believe this was a Mallard issue, but this was an issue that could’ve happened to any trailer. The issue was caused by the previous owner not maintaining the rig. He let it sit for a year and never checked on it, he never conditioned the gaskets and never recaulked which also allowed water to get in. The main lesson is that you HAVE to maintain your camper or you will have problems. I wouldn’t let it deter me from buying a camper; but please just do your due diligence, look for soft spots in the floor, and look behind cabinets, underneath lavatories, anywhere water could leak. If you find a soft spot, I would walk away.

Attachments

• 112136CD-342E-49D5-8A0A-6D87DE36A9B5.png
    112136CD-342E-49D5-8A0A-6D87DE36A9B5.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • E315B620-FEA8-49E1-A919-7CE750B4644E.png
    E315B620-FEA8-49E1-A919-7CE750B4644E.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 19
  • D06770C7-86A9-4EB3-A8B3-9603F3CA3D57.png
    D06770C7-86A9-4EB3-A8B3-9603F3CA3D57.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
  • C77C1BB0-2995-4BE0-8CC5-F7510E526C42.png
    C77C1BB0-2995-4BE0-8CC5-F7510E526C42.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 4458AA27-1155-479A-AAE6-EF7CB01FD437.png
    4458AA27-1155-479A-AAE6-EF7CB01FD437.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 17

atrinh15

Yes, I was able to fix everything I believe. I replaced all four “wiper” gaskets on the sides of the slides (front and back), and found that the top gasket on the large slide was leaking and allowing rain water to get in when the slide was closed. I was able to get all damaged sub flooring replaced. I don’t believe this was a Mallard issue, but this was an issue that could’ve happened to any trailer. The issue was caused by the previous owner not maintaining the rig. He let it sit for a year and never checked on it, he never conditioned the gaskets and never recaulked which also allowed water to get in. The main lesson is that you HAVE to maintain your camper or you will have problems. I wouldn’t let it deter me from buying a camper; but please just do your due diligence, look for soft spots in the floor, and look behind cabinets, underneath lavatories, anywhere water could leak. If you find a soft spot, I would walk away.
Thanks for the response. I love the layout of mallard m32 and the north trail but been seeing a lot of the same soft floor issues. Would love to talk to someone direct before my next purchase.

RJL

Hey all,

New to the forum. I just bought a 2018 Mallard M32. I picked it up a week ago; and I thought I had done a thorough inspection. I did note a small soft spot in the bathroom floor, but the seller said that his kids had allowed water to splash out of the shower. I also noticed some delamination in the woodwork on the outdoor kitchen. The seller said that they had left the outdoor kitchen hatch open one night and it had rained inside. I went ahead and bought it, as i can make those repairs pretty easily myself. I got home and found that the ends of the slide floors were rotted. I was annoyed by that, but set out to fix it. That was nothing however compared to the real problems that awaited me. I cut away the vinyl in the bathroom to discover it soaking wet, and the OSB damaged beyond it just drying out. It has molded and turned black. The wetness and rot went under the wall to the outdoor kitchen, all the way to the back of the camper.

I started poking around the rest of the camper, and found the floor wet, black and rotted from the front door, all along the wall through the bedroom into the front pass through storage. Once I removed the vinyl floor covering from the front storage bay, I then found termites. It just keeps getting better. Continuing on I found the subfloor wet and partially back around where both slides come in. So I have a lot of subfloor to replace. Has anyone ran into this? How the heck can a 4 year old camper have this much leaking and rotted floors? The roof and walls are in pristine condition. The outside of the camper looks brand new.

The seller has been no help. I messaged him and tried to call him, and all he says is that it’s “normal wear and tear” and that I bought it as is. He will not respond at all to me now and will not take my phone calls to discuss. So he has the $26k I paid him now, and doesn’t feel bad about the situation at all, a real swell guy.

Any ideas on how this water could be getting in???View attachment 67771
Exact same camper I have I purchased almost a year ago and I'm having to do the same thing