Norcold refrigerator and LP usage

Redrider007

This is my first double door refer in an RV and am surprised at how long the propane is running. I have gone from a setting of 9-7-3 and the thermometer reads the same when closed overnight. Even at the 3 setting it seems to run quite a bit. I also have a onan 5500 lp generator and after a 10 day dry camping trip in the eastern sierras i used close to both 30 lb tanks. Minimal generator usage-1 movie and some hair dryer and occasional furnace for 10 minutes at a time. debating on either upgrading tanks or just carrying a spare.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

The generator can consume around 1 gallon / hour of run time depending on load. 30 lb tanks hold about 7 gallons. Sorry, I don't know how much propane the Norcold uses.

asherwin

I have the same Norcold 4 door fridge and just finished a two and a half week camping trip where I ran the fridge on propane only. I did not use propane for anything else and one 30lbs tank lasted two weeks.

Jim.Allison

Just a suggestion for your thoughts.

Save your LP for your refer........

A small solar array and an inverter will let you watch TV, and run small appliance and never start that generator. It is a massive waste of energy to run a generator to watch TV or run a hairdryer.

My entire 500 watt yamaha home entertainment system with subwoofer, and DVD player, and some lighting used by my wife for reading, and some parasite usage, and the TV antenna amplifier if left on (accidently like i did) will consume about 10 amps @ 12v, at most. It would be way less expensive for you to install a small solar array and inverter. You will also eliminate many trips to the LP pump, and your batteries will last longer as they will stay charged while in storage.

But lacking a solar array, but still having an inverter, would allow you to run your entertainment system and a few AC appliances, and then bulk charge with your generator when you choose.

Replacing the energy used from your batts for the purpose of watching TV can easily be replaced every other day with your generator running a few hours. If you manage your system properly you could recharge your batts, as a secondary function, for example, while running your generator for Air Conditioning, or during preparation of a meal where you will be able to use the microwave.

By running your generator for something useful, your batteries will become charged enough to watch TV as a secondary function. And the beauty is that you will not be running your generator during quiet time and driving people nuts who are trying to enjoy the same thing you are trying to, and escape the noise of the city.

It only takes a small array, a set of quality batts and a small inverter to have enough AC electricity to do the things you outlined, without the use of any LP. You cannot invert enough to run the fireplace.

I have a Onan 5500 LP, and have rarely used it while boondocking, except to run air conditioning. I have a solar array that will run my LP/AC refer with the assistance of my 7 pin. Of course the refer uses 40 amps at 12v, so it is impossible to run it unless i'm traveling and the 7 pin and the solar are supplying power, and even then the batts contribute. When parked, I have to use LP or shore for the refer.

This is my first double door refer in an RV and am surprised at how long the propane is running. I have gone from a setting of 9-7-3 and the thermometer reads the same when closed overnight. Even at the 3 setting it seems to run quite a bit. I also have a onan 5500 lp generator and after a 10 day dry camping trip in the eastern sierras i used close to both 30 lb tanks. Minimal generator usage-1 movie and some hair dryer and occasional furnace for 10 minutes at a time. debating on either upgrading tanks or just carrying a spare.