Verizon MiFi Disappointing

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, I tried calling the local store to save a trip, but all I get is the "we're all busy" message. So I called the 1-866 warranty replacement number on the device. Spent about an hour on the phone with a charming lady who was not located in India . She gave me directions to go to the VZManager page, which was a neat trick since I had to use the MiFi to get there. Once there, it wants a password. I don't have one, never set up one. So it either tells me what I entered is incorrect, the system is locking me out, and I have to restart the MiFi. GRRRRR! I do this several times. Explaining the history and where I'm at, she thinks my connectivity problem could be because there's water between me and the tower two miles away (not, I'm between the lakes in line with the tower), or there are trees around (this is a campground, not a cow pasture), or the metal skin of the trailer is interfering (I explain the construction of the 5'er). She suggests that maybe I could take the laptop and MiFi back to town where it (the MiFi) seemed to work and try it there to check. Maybe later, skipping it across the lake is still tempting. So we part our ways, even though I had yet to get into the VZ Manager. After we disconnect, I try once more and the stupid system finally gives me a portal to create a NEW password, which I do and finally get in. Big deal, the information there tells me nothing. I'm a user, not a geek.

And I'm still using WiFi, not MiFi. Actually, I did enjoy talking with the rep, even if she couldn't solve the problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, for what it's worth, every time we change locations with our USB modem,it seems to help if we update the device through VZ access manager. I don't know if you received that software with the mifi or not. The only time I Have to use that software is when I use the modem directly in the laptop. If I'm using the cradlepoint it's not necessary but I still have to do the location thing through VZA manager with the device in the laptop. After the update, I plug it back into the Cradlepoint.

JohnDar

S.O.A.B.!! So, I am now sitting in the middle of Indian River. NO trees, NO water, and now the (series of expletives) Verizon MIFi4510L
is working as advertised. It's got a full four bars on it's display and I can actually reply to a thread. NOT what I had hoped for. Maybe getting an external antenna will help at the campground, but it could just be more good money after a lot of bad. I'll have to keep the windows up as I drive back to the CG. The lake is too close for comfort.

If you have one that works all the time, every time...good for you. My advice for those considering...BUYER BEWARE. I didn't get this so I could drive around looking for someplace it would work.

Addendum: I left the MiFi on during the drive back to the trailer. Held at four bars right up to the door (I actually drove under the tower. If it fell, I'd have a lump on my head). It's now at 3, sometimes 4 bars. So, it looks like I have to drive around, find a strong signal and then drag the beam home. Maybe the moral of the story is once you get a strong signal, never turn the stupid thing off.

Thanks for listening to my ranting and raving. I will now cease...for a little while.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John,

There should be a series of numbers on the ID tag on the back of the MiFi that says password. Could that be the password you were looking for?

JohnDar

John,

There should be a series of numbers on the ID tag on the back of the MiFi that says password. Could that be the password you were looking for?

Nope, we tried that. Along with my Verizon MyAccount passwords, shoe size, age, childhood hero, first girlfriend that didn't slap me, etc. When I finally got the screen that let me install a new password, I made up one I've never used and it worked. I'm still not sure how I even got that screen. As mentioned in my last post, I've left the MiFi on, with the laptop off, and it's still holding the tower signal. I'm afraid if I turn it off, I'll have to drive back to town to pick up the beam and drag it back here. Where's Mr. Spock and the transporter when you really need him?? Dang Vulcan's, never around when there's work to be done. Probably off making googlely eyes at some Klingon on Uranus.

Sorry, my old grandad typed that last part.

robnmo

We have the MiFi2200, since about March, haven't had a bit of problem with it, used either connected to the computer or as a hotspot is it because of the 4G stuff? (note the high tech talk, of "stuff" a new age tech person is somewhat lacking in our house since the kids left).

porthole

Retired
Can you turn off the 4G and only use 3G? Maybe with the sporadic 4G coverage the unit is running itself in circles trying to connect.

I have the first MiFi (3G). I don't have any the problems you are experiencing. We even used it on the trek across PA, Ohio and Indiana in the truck with Deb watching the Florida trial on her ipad.

JohnDar

Can you turn off the 4G and only use 3G? Maybe with the sporadic 4G coverage the unit is running itself in circles trying to connect.

I have the first MiFi (3G). I don't have any the problems you are experiencing. We even used it on the trek across PA, Ohio and Indiana in the truck with Deb watching the Florida trial on her ipad.

According to the flashing violet light, it's connected to 3G and not trying to cycle between the two. There is no 4G in this area yet, anyways. This thing is supposed to automatically select the correct one. The next test is to turn it off and back on and see if it can reconnect. Maybe nearer to when we head back home for a few days. So far, leaving it on seems to maintain the connection. Looking at the usage meter at Verizon, it's not eating up any of my 5GB by doing that.

JohnDar

Longer string I think. LoL Oh and the tin cans are painted different too.

Sorry I really don't know.

I suspect a lot of it is marketing ploy.

My guess on that was he meant the usage allowance of 5GB before geting charged for overages. So far, my usage is well under 1GB. Verizon is still deploying it's 4G LTE service to different areas, mostly near larger cities. Up here near tip of the nasty finger of Michigan (figure it out), it probably won't happen for quite some time.

Moose

My guess on that was he meant the usage allowance of 5GB before geting charged for overages. So far, my usage is well under 1GB. Verizon is still deploying it's 4G LTE service to different areas, mostly near larger cities. Up here near tip of the nasty finger of Michigan (figure it out), it probably won't happen for quite some time.

Me thinks you are correct. ROFL

If a 5G family of standards would be implemented, it would likely be around the year of 2020 according to some sources.

k-f-Indiana

We got the 4510 a couple months ago. Previously used the 2200. The 4510 worked well for a couple days, and then started having problems with loading sites and/or pages, as others have said. I called Verizon Wireless, #611, and they determined ours was defective, so sent me a new one (actually says on it "rebuilt"). Did the same thing, so I called back. They said we were only 2 miles from their tower, so signal wasn't the problem. I told them we were tired of messing with it, so reactivated the old 2200. They sent an online survey, and we told them we would not recommend them to our family and friends. A rep. called us and wanted to get the problem straightened out. They have to send a new SIM card everytime to activate, so we got that and the rep. called us back to get it working properly. All of the rep's were great, but just couldn't solve the problem. She was very helpful, had me delete the old drivers from my programs, then activated the new device and everything seems to be working.

We are not in a 4G area either at home, but will continue to use it as we travel again next week. Hope this helps some of you that are having continuing problems. I think this last rep was higher up the ladder of authority/knowledge, but who knows. I was also having trouble using Verizon's own site. It wouldn't load, wouldn't let me log on, or had overlays of other pages on top of the one I was on. Complained about that also, and it was fixed the next day. Good luck.

JohnDar

After locking onto the beam and dragging it back to the trailer, it worked fine. I didn't turn it off, though. But, Thursday, it would not connect to my laptop, so I pressed the dreaded on/off button. When I turned it back on, it connected to the laptop and the tower without a problem. Strong signal and acceptable speeds.

We're back home now for a few days, using the cable internet. Might give the gizmo a try at home before we head north again.

amkuntz

We got the same unit about 3 wks ago and have used it extensively in several "middle of nowhere" sites throughout Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota, all with good connection speed. Our problem was trying to get our online account activated, the only way to set the password was to get a text to your mobile number or by snail mail to your billing address. The MiFi doesn't get txt messages and the help desk said to download VZAccess Manager...which doesn't work with the 4510l...to get the txt message. We won't be at our billing address for another month and that is the only address they would send it to. Modern technology...ain't it great:rolleyes:

JohnDar

We got the same unit about 3 wks ago and have used it extensively in several "middle of nowhere" sites throughout Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota, all with good connection speed. Our problem was trying to get our online account activated, the only way to set the password was to get a text to your mobile number or by snail mail to your billing address. The MiFi doesn't get txt messages and the help desk said to download VZAccess Manager...which doesn't work with the 4510l...to get the txt message. We won't be at our billing address for another month and that is the only address they would send it to. Modern technology...ain't it great:rolleyes:

I don't recall having to go deal with text messages to get the account activated. I deactivated text messaging from our phones some time ago after getting charged for stupid credit card and loan offers being texted to me. Charges were dropped, too. At home, the MiFi got set up pretty easily. When we had the problem at the CG, however, I was directed to go to the 192.xxx.x.x site and log-in to look at some settings. I did not have a password for that, other than the one to access the MiFi (back of device). Just could not get in. After getting off the phone, I tried again and it let me enter a password for that site and I was able to look at settings, et.al. But, until I physically moved the device into town and back to the rig, I did not have a connection to the tower.

In case you didn't find it, here's the detailed manual for the 4510L from their website.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
On ours, which is not a MIFI but a wireless card, if you go to the page where you connect to the device there is a spot for text messages. You should be able to get the text on line there. If not call them and they will mail it to you.

amkuntz

We only have an account for the MiFi...no cell account, it is the only Verizon equipment we have.

The password I needed was for the online account, so I could keep track of usage, review and pay my bill. When I went to download the VZAccess mgr from the Verizon website(as instructed to do by the help desk), the website said it is not required for the 4510L, but she told me to download it anyway. If I try to check for tst msgs, it locks everything up and I have to use the task manager to get out of it. I can use the VZAM to see how much is actively going through the modem, but not the accumulated amount used and it never physically recognizes the modem, even when it is hooked up direct by USB(which is only used for updates to the unit).

I was able to get the password off the first snail mail letter they sent me, but I have tried to log on so many times that I fear I will get a letter with a new password for every time I have tried to log in:(.

Guess I have to wait...
Marilyn

JohnDar

We only have an account for the MiFi...no cell account, it is the only Verizon equipment we have.

The password I needed was for the online account, so I could keep track of usage, review and pay my bill. When I went to download the VZAccess mgr from the Verizon website(as instructed to do by the help desk), the website said it is not required for the 4510L, but she told me to download it anyway. If I try to check for tst msgs, it locks everything up and I have to use the task manager to get out of it. I can use the VZAM to see how much is actively going through the modem, but not the accumulated amount used and it never physically recognizes the modem, even when it is hooked up direct by USB(which is only used for updates to the unit).

I was able to get the password off the first snail mail letter they sent me, but I have tried to log on so many times that I fear I will get a letter with a new password for every time I have tried to log in:(.

Guess I have to wait...
Marilyn

Marilyn,
To check usage on my cells and the MiFi, this is the website I log into, not VZManager. See if you can set up a password there.

https://login.vzw.com/cdsso/public/controller?action=logout

An update on the performance of my MiFi. At home now, it's working fine and running on the 4G network (green use indicators). The Flint, MI area was recently upgraded to that. At our CG, it was running on 3G. I still might get an external antenna for the trailer when we go back up, if it has the same connection problem I ran into before. I did try the device both inside and outside the trailer, and the performance seemed about the same. The speeds indicated on VZManager and Speedtest didn't really change, though.

amkuntz

That's the place I try to log in to where I get the 'wrong id/pw' message. The only reason they said to use the VZAM is because I only have the MiFi and it won't get text msg. Two choices for pw...txt msg or snail mail. When I tried to register, it claims I am already registered! I will wait for letter #3 to see if that pw will work.
Marilyn

JohnDar

That's the place I try to log in to where I get the 'wrong id/pw' message. The only reason they said to use the VZAM is because I only have the MiFi and it won't get text msg. Two choices for pw...txt msg or snail mail. When I tried to register, it claims I am already registered! I will wait for letter #3 to see if that pw will work.
Marilyn

That's strange since that is where the billing info will be. Did you actually go through the registration process there and set up a new ID and P/W? If the account was opened in someone else's name, like a spouse, they will have to contact Verizon and tell them to grant you access. Had to do that with ours since the cell phones were originally obtained under my wife's name. They didn't care that I signed the checks, she had to physically tell them on the phone that it was OK. Sometimes getting it straight on the phone is a problem. If you're anywhere near a Verizon store, stop in there and see if they can access your account and help you out.