SOLVED: Luke warm hot water (replaced high limit switch)

blkdodge

Suburban 12 Gallon water heater,
it wasn't getting as hot as usual on electric. I drained it replaced the heating element and the outside switch, still just semi-hot. Propane works great. I checked the outside shower valves and they are off. I don't have a bypass valve at the heater, just cold in and hot out. Any ideas what would be causing this?

danemayer

Re: Luck warm hot water

A 2012 San Antonio probably has a water heater bypass valve near the bottom of the UDC. Are you sure it's not partially bypassed?

Attachments

• UDC Water Heater Bypass.jpg
    UDC Water Heater Bypass.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49

blkdodge

Bypass valve has been bypassed for 2years, so I don't think that's the problem and the fact I will extremely hot water when operating on propane.

rxbristol

I had this same problem and it was related to a main circuit breaker in the RV park had gone "bad". It was arcing and not supplying the correct voltage. Everything in the RV worked OK except the H2O heater. Do you have a voltage monitor? If not, use a voltage meter. My monitor was showing a fluctuating voltage between 102 to 118.

danemayer

Ok, so it's really hot on propane but luke warm on electric, and you changed the element and the switch. That leaves the thermostat/ECO unit. The Suburban has separate thermostats for gas and electric. Sounds like the electric thermostat is opening at too low a temp.

I think this one is what you want. Also should be available at any RV parts dep't.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Don't forget to check the wire connectors for the 110v connections in the junction box to the WH. As I recall there have been others that have had issues there, most recently Jim B at the Nashville rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdodge

I replaced the high limit switch and, wah-Lah hot water in 1hr. Boy that HOT shower felt good.
Thank You so much for your suggestions, I took them all to heart.
What I will say is that I spent as much money in diesel fuel running around for parts as the parts itself.
Oh well it's working and that's all that matters.

Thanks Again
David

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I replaced the high limit switch and, wah-Lah hot water in 1hr. Boy that HOT shower felt good.
Thank You so much for your suggestions, I took them all to heart.
What I will say is that I spent as much money in diesel fuel running around for parts as the parts itself.
Oh well it's working and that's all that matters.

Thanks Again
David

Glad that is fixed . . . however, were you not able to take a hot shower using LP?