Another hot water is only warm thread

gmb8585

Have a new to me 2013 Heartland Sundance 3310CL. When i originally hooked up the city water line and ran the hot water off the electric switch for the hot water heater i only had a few seconds of warm water before it became cold again. I crawled into the bsmt and closed what i assume was the bypass valve and now i have plenty of warm water, not hot. I tried both electric and gas for the hot water heater with basically the same result. When i crack the pressure relief valve i notice the water is hot in the hot water heater, not just warm. The previous removed the outside shower and all i see are 2 capped lines that i assume are the hot and cold lines for the outside shower. The warm water is at all the faucets by the way. There is plumbing for a washer dryer but none installed. I assume the cold water is mixing with the hot water somewhere causing my problem. Is there another valve i need to deal with to fix this/ All suggestions are appreciated. Thx, Greg

Dahillbilly

by pass on the water heater has three different valves the center valve on should be closed & the other two open. The open ones would be the hot & cold.

gmb8585

Dahillbilly, thx for that answer. When I originally tried to fix it the only valve of the 3 that was closed was the bottom one, so I opened it and got warm water only. After closing the middle valve the water from taps is hot. Thx again. Now when I winterize, which valves should be open and closed?

Dahillbilly

Dahillbilly, thx for that answer. When I originally tried to fix it the only valve of the 3 that was closed was the bottom one, so I opened it and got warm water only. After closing the middle valve the water from taps is hot. Thx again. Now when I winterize, which valves should be open and closed?
open the center valve & close the other two, this by-passes the water heater. Make sure to remove the drain plug from the WH heater so it drains out. Lots of My Tube videos on the process