Rv frig vs residential frig

carl.swoyer

Input on both sides of the argument. Primary concern is dry camp. Both require charging battery systems.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Actually, the RV frig uses very little battery as it runs on propane when no shore power or generator.

danemayer

A gas absorption refrigerator might draw a few amps at 12V DC to run the circuit board. Propane provides the heat that operates the cooling unit.

A residential refrigerator will draw 6-8 amps at 120V to run the compressor. That's 60-80 amps from your 12V batteries, not counting inverter efficiency loss.

So there's really only one side to the argument. How much power will you need to keep the batteries charged?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We love our residential fridge. We have 4 12V batteries, 320W solar, and 5500 Gen. And it still pulled it all down to nothing at night while dry camping. If you will be doing a lot of dry camping I would lean towards the RV fridge.

MikeR

It's too bad that Servel isn't still in business and manufacturing their gas operated residential refrigerators.

pegmikef

The few times we have dried camped recently in mild or cooler weather (no A/C needed), I have only had to run one of my Honda 2000 generators for two or three hours a day to top off my batteries and let my wife play with her "hair appliances." That's running the reefer full time and sometimes the furnace if it gets really cold. I take two Trojan 105s out of my golf cart to use when we dry camp as they have a little more amperage than my 12 volt pair.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Dry camping requires the RV refrigerator. When in propane mode it uses some 12v for the circuit board and to run a small fan to exhaust the heat from behind the unit. We can go 5-6 days dry camping with the refrigerator on 24/7 and the HW heater and lighting as needed. I have two 27 group deep cycle marine batteries that hold up well. BUT turn on the furnace and watch the stored amps disappear!!! If it's cool enough to want some heat to take off the chill in the morning, by day three it's get out the generator if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The few times we have dried camped recently in mild or cooler weather (no A/C needed), I have only had to run one of my Honda 2000 generators for two or three hours a day to top off my batteries and let my wife play with her "hair appliances." That's running the reefer full time and sometimes the furnace if it gets really cold. I take two Trojan 105s out of my golf cart to use when we dry camp as they have a little more amperage than my 12 volt pair.

Is that an RV or residential fridge??

gvtahoe88

It's too bad that Servel isn't still in business and manufacturing their gas operated residential refrigerators.
The Servel reminds me of deer hunting camp in the late 1950's. As a youth I was amazed to have a refer in camp. Those were the days!!!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The Servel reminds me of deer hunting camp in the late 1950's. As a youth I was amazed to have a refer in camp. Those were the days!!!

Buddies of mine have a gas residential refrigerator in their camp. It's relatively new. 5-6 yrs old maybe. Unsure of make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AAdams

LP gas residential refrigerators are still available out there. Not in any RV that I've seen though. Here is a link to one with stainless steel front that is 19 cu ft including the freezer.

carl.swoyer

Thanks for all the responses. My cedar Creek had a residential frig I was able to turn it off at Nite and in the am everything was still cold and frozen. Now my 2012 landmark 4 door norcold is failing. I tried turning the unit off at Nite to conserve energy but frig was warm and things near the freezer door were soft. Spend a lot of time at NAS KEYWEST CAMPGROUND. So a lot of dry camp. . My landmark does have a 105 amp charger plus my Magnum ms2812 can really dump a huge charge on my four group 31 deka dry camp batteries. When I can get clear skies I pull 15 to 16 amps solar from a 220 watt solar panel. my morningstar duo charge controller allows me to split my charge 90/10 or 50/50 split to both battery banks. Just trying to fine tune things.

meagle

After having a residential refrigerator in my Landmark I would never have that option again. Problems with the inverter, leaking water lines, draining the batteries, etc. Whichever RV I purchase next time I can certainly say that it will not have a residential refrigerator. The slow leak in the ice make line caused extensive damage to the coach.

carl.swoyer

We love our residential fridge. We have 4 12V batteries, 320W solar, and 5500 Gen. And it still pulled it all down to nothing at night while dry camping. If you will be doing a lot of dry camping I would lean towards the RV fridge.
I had an 18 cube residential frig in my cedar Creek. I purchased a remote thermostat so i could monitor the temp without opening the door. At Nite I would turn the frig off. If I woke at Nite I could see them internal temperature and turn it on if needed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have decided to keep our 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. When we replace the fridge it will be with a residential unit without an ice maker and water in the door and having a dedicated battery with an inverter to power it while traveling.

carl.swoyer

In my cedar Creek I used four t105 Trojan batteries. They were wired in series and parallel.

carl.swoyer

My landmark Rushmore is a 2012 and it has the four door norcold with the ice maker. I find that they both equally have their pros and cons. the residential I think is better insulated and I could toggle it on and off and still maintain cold

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had an 18 cube residential frig in my cedar Creek. I purchased a remote thermostat so i could monitor the temp without opening the door. At Nite I would turn the frig off. If I woke at Nite I could see them internal temperature and turn it on if needed.

That's a really good idea thanks