Full time RV is your home

ClarksLaw

Whether you're looking to buy a new/used RV or already have one there is a critical shift in your thinking necessary. See it as your new or second home and make decisions/modifications accordingly. Equally important is keeping in mind that it won't always be new. Repairs are going to be needed and anything you can do to initially help deal with any issue in the future is going to be money well spent and a headache saver. For example, RVs never have enough power outlets and rarely are they in convenient locations. You'll need to, at least, double up on those. Another example, it's likely at some point you'll need to bring in one of the slide-outs, but not all of them. You'll need to be able to operate each slide independently, therefore, a swich for each slideout is needed and the original switch becomes the master switch. I'd also suggest a cover over these switches so they can't be accidentally activated. You'll be glad you have this when you really need it.

Power consumption in a RV is NOT like living in a house, obviously, but it is something people keep forgetting to consider. Before replacing something research it's power usage. Most manufacturers understate the actual real world power usage of their products. 1200 watt appliances are closer to being 1500 watts. I have found you can be safe to assume anything over 1200 watts is pulling 1875 watts (15 amps). You'd do your RV a favor by connecting an industrial grade 10 guage extension cable to the power post and running it in through a window for that appliance. If this option isn't available to you, you'll need to turn off your AC while using the appliance or seriously risk popping breakers and damaging your RVs power box.

Propane has it's hogs too. The water heater will scarf down Propane if left on all the time. Though it can take awhile for the gas system to heat up the water, consider turning it off until you want a shower and then everyone living in the RV takes a shower. Then turn it off again. Disconnect the electric element inside the water heater. It'll save you money and popped breakers.

I see many in a conundrum over insurance. Approach it like buying car insurance because it is a vehicle like your car. There are some insurance companies who offer RV insurance that gives you the vehicle coverage you need, but also provides policies that are very much like homeowners insurance. This insurance stands on its own and does not require attaching your RV insurance to your homeowners and vehicle insurance, thus the associated problems that could arise by attaching your RV to those other policies do not happen. Needless to say you'll need liability and collision coverage. A collision is anything that strikes your RV whether it be another vehicle running away down a hill and hitting your RV or a huge limb from a tree falling onto it. Both are considered collisions by my insurance company.

I have lived in a RV, now, for nearly 30 years. I made a lot of beginner mistakes and I made mistakes due to lack of available information and foresight. I am far from an expert on RVs, but have a lot of experience with living in one and, yet, I am still learning.

wdk450

How have fulltimers with no recognized permanent address worked out the federal requirement for a "Real ID" by the state driver's licensing agencies, like the DMV here in California? As I understand it this is to be REQUIRED in 2025 (when my D/L renews), and that the DMV does not recognize P.O. boxes (or Postal Mail Boxes - PMB's - like I currently use through a local UPS store).
As I understand it I cannot fly on airlines or go on Federal property (legally) NOW without the Real ID license/identification.
Politically Incorrect Question: What do the millions of homeless on the streets, the millions of Illegal Immigrants do to comply with the Real ID identification federal requirements? One item I read online in RV forums said that there are now about 1 million of us fulltime RVers with no other physical residence in the U.S. Does this act force us ALL to be liars to the government about our housing situation???

Last edited:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
How have fulltimers with no recognized permanent address worked out the federal requirement for a "Real ID" by the state driver's licensing agencies, like the DMV here in California? As I understand it this is to be REQUIRED in 2025 (when my D/L renews), and that the DMV does not recognize P.O. boxes (or Postal Mail Boxes - PMB's - like I currently use through a local UPS store).
As I understand it I cannot fly on airlines or go on Federal property (legally) NOW without the Real ID license/identification.
Politically Incorrect Question: What do the millions of homeless on the streets, the millions of Illegal Immigrants do to comply with the Real ID identification federal requirements? One item I read online in RV forums said that there are now about 1 million of us fulltime RVers with no other physical residence in the U.S. Does this act force us ALL to be liars to the government about our housing situation???
We have our DL's in South Dakota. They have been real ID compliant since 2020. We have been through tsa numerous times without issue. I believe they get by with it by requiring extra documentation. I will provide a link. Unfortunately your state is just as eager to pin everyone down as the feds are so good luck.

As far as the homeless are concerned, and I work with them weekly, they just lie. Some use a relatives address too.

david-steph2018

We are South Dakota residents since 2021 and have a Real ID license. We use America's Mailbox as our address.

wdk450

I believe that changing my mailing/legal address to South Dakota will mess up my Medicare supplement health insurance with UHC paid for by the California Public Employees Retirement system (survivor's benefit).

david-steph2018

I believe that changing my mailing/legal address to South Dakota will mess up my Medicare supplement health insurance with UHC paid for by the California Public Employees Retirement system (survivor's benefit).
Call and ask them. Do they tell you; you have to remain in California after retirement to get your benefits?
I retired from Ohio's Public Employee system; I still get my benefits after changing state of residency. My wife still receives her State Teachers benefits as well.

wdk450

No, the big problem in this scenario is with the medical insurers. They want you to have your medical provider (Primary care MD) and group (Kaiser, State University Medical Group, local Humana, etc.) LOCAL TO YOUR RESIDENCE OF RECORD. If I put down South Dakota as my residence of record with my health insurer, I am going to have a hard time getting medical care in California.

Post heart transplant daughter, and Son's family with 4 grandkids are located in California, so leaving isn't an option.

david-steph2018

No, the big problem in this scenario is with the medical insurers. They want you to have your medical provider (Primary care MD) and group (Kaiser, State University Medical Group, local Humana, etc.) LOCAL TO YOUR RESIDENCE OF RECORD. If I put down South Dakota as my residence of record with my health insurer, I am going to have a hard time getting medical care in California.

Post heart transplant daughter, and Son's family with 4 grandkids are located in California, so leaving isn't an option.
Sorry to hear about that it is like that out there. But my wife still uses her doctor in Ohio she has had for 20 years as her primary care.
I use my VA doctor in Ohio as my primary, but the VA is a different animal.