Slide out manual override

ewaskins

I bought an 07 Sundance 2800rls from a neighbor for 3000.00 total price (I could not pass that one up.) Had not been used in a couple of years. It is in excellent condition. I took it deer hunting in Davy Crockett National forest from the first week in Nov until the first week in jan. (primitive camping). The area is called Alabama Creek Wildlife Management Area. Everything in the trailer worked perfect. I brought it back home to a storage yard. Now when I retract the living room only the side toward the front of the trailer will slide, I had to keep stopping (releasing the rocker switch) and pull the other side even to get it to fully retract. It is sitting level. Can anyone tell me what they think the problem is? Also I found the tool in the basement compartment to use for manual override but I cannot find the shaft that the tool is used on. Can anyone tell me the location of the motor? thanks

wdk450

Since you are a junior member, I am going to share how to find subsystem and appliance manuals on this website, and end with a link to the Lippert slideout manual. It sounds like the rack and pinion synchronizing bar on the slideout drive isn't working.

To find manuals: Click on "Tools" at the top of any forum page, then click on the line with the word "Manuals". That will take you to a menu tree, Select "Slideouts", then Lippert. There are many choices here as manuals were added to the library over the years. Ususally the most recent date manuals is the best. Here is a direct link to that manual for you:
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org...ippert Hydraulic-Slide-out-Service-Manual.pdf

danemayer

Manual overrides are typically on the motor that drives the slide. If electric, the motor may be behind fascia. If hydraulic, there'll be a pump/motor in the front compartment. The manual override for hydraulics will usually be with a drill and hex bit inserted from the basement passthrough storage.

If one slide moves and the other doesn't, and they're both hydraulic, the manual override will not help since the pump is working.

If the slide that's failing is electric, you'll be looking for the electric motor.

ewaskins

Since you are a junior member, I am going to share how to find subsystem and appliance manuals on this website, and end with a link to the Lippert slideout manual. It sounds like the rack and pinion synchronizing bar on the slideout drive isn't working.

To find manuals: Click on "Tools" at the top of any forum page, then click on the line with the word "Manuals". That will take you to a menu tree, Select "Slideouts", then Lippert. There are many choices here as manuals were added to the library over the years. Ususally the most recent date manuals is the best. Here is a direct link to that manual for you:
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org...ippert Hydraulic-Slide-out-Service-Manual.pdf
Thank you very much for guiding me to the tool section. The slide is electric and I have not fixed the problem yet. However looking thru the manuals I found a diagram on removing the actuator and on that diagram it showed the manual override on the opposite side of the trailer an extension rod on the motor goes thru the frame. Low and behold I visited the trailer today and there it was barely visible between the two wheels on the opposite side of the slide. Thanks again. The rack and pinon drive is working on both sides. It seems as though the active side is a little ahead of the passive side. Every time I go over to the yard to where I keep the trailer, I end up helping someone else with their rv problems. I was kind of surprised very few owners knew where or how to manually operate their slides or where it was located.

wdk450

Thank you very much for guiding me to the tool section. The slide is electric and I have not fixed the problem yet. However looking thru the manuals I found a diagram on removing the actuator and on that diagram it showed the manual override on the opposite side of the trailer an extension rod on the motor goes thru the frame. Low and behold I visited the trailer today and there it was barely visible between the two wheels on the opposite side of the slide. Thanks again. The rack and pinon drive is working on both sides. It seems as though the active side is a little ahead of the passive side. Every time I go over to the yard to where I keep the trailer, I end up helping someone else with their rv problems. I was kind of surprised very few owners knew where or how to manually operate their slides or where it was located.

If your slide uses the rack and pinion system to even out the two sides of the slide movement, there should be a procedure in the manual for re-synchronizing the slide. The slide teeth jumping a gear cog is a common occurrence. You should be able to measure at each slide rail to the frame, and compare the 2 measurements to see if it is off.

Good luck!!

ewaskins

Manual overrides are typically on the motor that drives the slide. If electric, the motor may be behind fascia. If hydraulic, there'll be a pump/motor in the front compartment. The manual override for hydraulics will usually be with a drill and hex bit inserted from the basement passthrough storage.

If one slide moves and the other doesn't, and they're both hydraulic, the manual override will not help since the pump is working.

If the slide that's failing is electric, you'll be looking for the electric motor.

Problem solved: The bolt on the transfer bar had the head sheared off. I could only see this if the transfer bar was in the right position. The transfer bar was still working maybe like half the time, depending how the rest of the bolt lodged itself inside the square tubing that covers the transfer bar. tiny, maybe 1/4" nut and bolt. (same as in the landing gear) Everything on the transfer bar seemed intact (I was looking at the good side of the transfer bar the bolt and nut appeared normal.) Found my problem. Found the manual override. Thanks again to everyone.