13.5K A/C Sufficient?

Taking delivery next week of a 2014 North Trail 30RKDD. The unit is equipped with a 13.5K BTU A/C. One of our "requirements" was a 15K BTU A/C, but this Trailer is LOADED and we couldn't beat the price. Will the 13.5K A/C be sufficient to cool our Trailer down if temps reach the 90's?

MTPockets

I don't have experience with that rig, but my senses tell me you would be happier with the 15...

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Probably would be happier with the larger unit but, you can get a portable a/c from home depot or lowes for around $400 to supplement it if you find you are not reaching the comfort level you desire.

GOTTOYS

15K is only 10% bigger. It may not be enough either. See if the dealer will swap it out before delivery...Don

Sumo

It will help if you park so can you put your awning out and shade the west side. And Or keep your trailer in the shade.

Rickhansen

Brisan0623,
Like everyone else has pointed out, the 15k would be the safer bet. I had a 31 foot travel trailer with a 15k A/C and you could hang meat in it in North Carolina, but I like it cool. Whether the 13k will work for you is largely a function of your preferences of temperature and humidity, and how, when, and where you use your new coach. I know that Indiana can get quite hot and humid at times.

If you take some steps, you can maximize the ability for your equipment to keep up. You should take a look at the Heating & Cooling Users guide. It can be found under the Tools tab on this website.

Certainly, if you have any opportunity to upgrade, right now is probably your best shot. For peace of mind I would attempt to negotiate that with your dealer before delivery.

pegmikef

Taking delivery next week of a 2014 North Trail 30RKDD. The unit is equipped with a 13.5K BTU A/C. One of our "requirements" was a 15K BTU A/C, but this Trailer is LOADED and we couldn't beat the price. Will the 13.5K A/C be sufficient to cool our Trailer down if temps reach the 90's?

IMHO No., but I live in West Texas and at 90 degrees our 15K A/C barely cooled our 26LRSS unless you opened the dumps. . . of course with the dumps open you get very little air through the ducts. A lot of it depends on where you plan on camping and the temperatures in those areas. I would say outside temperatures of 85 to 90 will require the larger unit . . . especially when it is humid.

SailorDon

Last week I picked up my 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB with a factory installed (standard) 13.5K BTU air conditioner. It is 102 degrees today in my backyard and the little air conditioner works fine, about 75% cycle on, 25% cycle off with the thermostat set to 78 degrees. It takes almost an hour with the blast vents full open to get it down to temperature, but once there, it is easily maintained with the normal duct vents. I have no unusual heat loads like high load electronics and I don't do hot showers inside when it is 102 degrees outside. I'll use the outside shower to save the "cool" on the inside. I wouldn't recommend any oven use or heavy cooking on the propane stove either.:p

There is no shade, no other extenuating factors. Minimal opening and closing of the door. When opening the door, I can feel the rush of cold air "fall" out of the travel trailer. I get in and close the door quick.

Here's the way it looks. Just add an outside thermometer that reads 102 degrees. That's August in Texas! :cool:

brianharrison

The benefit of going from a 13.5k to a 15k would be small, in my opinion. I would check into adding a second unit in the bedroom or main living area. A check with HL Customer service with your VIN will determine if your unit is already wired (20A) for a second unit in one of the standard 14" vents, more than likely the bedroom.

As mentioned, a portable unit (vented outside) has worked for some others who do not want a 2nd AC permanently installed, either due to cost or noise concerns. Some claim the bedroom AC is quite noisy - it is not a ducted unit; just a direct discharge, and sometimes with manual controls mounted on the unit itself.

Brian

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the temps get above 90 like they do in Texas in the summer I would say you need two ACs. We keep out front door closed and the large rear window is tinted with a sun screen on the outside have two 13.5 ac's and it barely keeps up during the heat of the day. Both ACs will run almost constantly with the temp set on 78. But the outside temps have been in the high 90's to low 100s. Yesterday it was 101. If you can go for two acs I would MHO

SailorDon

This is an update to my previous reply on this thread.

On a 100 degree day, I had my Wilderness 2175 RB air conditioned down to a nice cool 78 degrees.

I decided to cook some pork chops on the propane stove.

Bad decison. Even with the stove vent on, the residual heat from the propane stove made the inside temperature go up near 90.

Lesson learned, don't cook with propane stove on 100 degree days. My 13.5K BTU air conditioner can't keep up with it.