2006 Bighorn 3055rl

Hi everyone! New here, my wife and I just got a 2006 Bighorn 3055rl a week or so ago. Looks to be in great shape, previous owner had added a 60 watt solar system and golf cart batteries among other little upgrades here and there. Is there anything I should be weary of and need to pay special attention to? I did take it to Little Dealer Little Prices here in North Phoenix to get the slides maintained and adjusted and a wheel bearing service done. Any info would be great, thanks.

Garypowell

My thought is that you might be very lucky. If someone made those mods it would stand to reason that they probably took care of other things like caulking. We had a 3055 for about 5 years and loved it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. The 3055 was a very popular floor plan for quite a few years. Good thinking to get the bearing serviced. The only thing I can think of is to have the spring shackles and bushings looked at. Many have installed a wet bolt kit to replace worn shackles. Also check the torque on the spring U-bolts.

Gaffer

Pull the basement wall section off that is directly behind the UDC and check things out. Tighten any loose plumbing connections you find and if you have a plastic check valve on the outlet (upper) of the hot water tank, replace it with a brass one. You should be able to find one from Camco for under $10. Enjoy and come to some rallys you will get lots of good information and advice from fellow Heartlanders.

wdk450

There have been a lot of postings on this forum about tires. I would make sure you have good ones in good shape, and invest in a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Keep the towing speed down to preserve those tires and minimize any damage if one does blow. A blown tire can cause a LOT of trailer damage. Make sure the tires/wheels are balanced, and maybe even take the rig to a truck alignment shop for an alignment check/realignment.

Bottom line is that the tires, wheels, and suspension are the "foundation" of your new mobile "house". A good, solid foundation that is checked often can reduce the chances of something bad happening.

BTW, do you have a shock absorbing pinbox on the trailer, and airbags on the truck?

Forgot all about that, the previous owner had just put new Mor Ryde suspension under it a year ago due to a couple of shackles breaking and something else but now can't remember what he had said. When I took it in to LDLP their service guy Phillip walked me around and showed me everything that he thought was an upgrade and showed me what I would need to check on a regular basis. I was amazingly surprised with his willingness to spend that much time with me, I didn't purchase from them.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have. Firestone Ride Rite bags on the tow pig with on board compressor, do not have a shock absorbing pinbox though. The tires are for years old so I will replace very soon, probably with some Michelin LTX MS2.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Redneck,, do you have the full independent MorRyde system? If so, be sure to grease the zirk fitting on the bottom of each assembly. There is only one on each wheel. It's pretty easy to find. They say you should have the wheel/tire hanging free to allow grease to surround the entire shaft. There is a fiber bushing that needs the grease.