2008 Razor Toyhauler with 5500 Genset Landing gear struggles to raise the front.

rmorrisonz

I have a 2008 Razor Toyhauler. 34' Ever since I got it used the front end has a hard time raising. I noticed the gear box (plastic) was broken so I replaced it will a metal one. Works better but still not lifting all the way. The motor still runs but the slip gear is not allowing it to rise. Any ideas. This thing is a pain with the Generator in the front. I usually have to turn it on to raise the front and go squat press the front until it gets high enough to get truck under.

PUG

Pug
Look for more posts under landing gear. Lots of them as this has been a pretty common under engineered problem. I myself had to a dual motor system in my old cyclone.

wdk450

I have a 2008 Razor Toyhauler. 34' Ever since I got it used the front end has a hard time raising. I noticed the gear box (plastic) was broken so I replaced it will a metal one. Works better but still not lifting all the way. The motor still runs but the slip gear is not allowing it to rise. Any ideas. This thing is a pain with the Generator in the front. I usually have to turn it on to raise the front and go squat press the front until it gets high enough to get truck under.

I think that Pug's suggestion of a 2nd motor isn't a bad idea. Check the Venture or Tweety's websites. Best of all worlds is to replace system with hydraulic landing gear, but that is pricey.
I would suggest you at least do a complete overhaul of your landing gear legs, removing them from the trailer, disassembling them, inspecting for worn parts, frozen bearings, etc., and LUBRICATING THE THREADED SHAFTS with a good quality grease (I like high pressure MOLY). A good test of how good/bad your leg mechanisms are is to see if you can manually crank them up under load. I did this on the road last summer, and the major things you need are a bottle jack and jackstands. You will probably have to raise the front of the trailer WAY UP to get the legs enough clearance to come out the bottom. It will be a hassle working around the generator, so if you can remove this beforehand, it might be worth it.