2015 4100 King on Order - couple of questions.

blong

Well
We just ordered a new 2015 4100 King to replace or 3950. Just wondering if any of u folks have any advice on anything special to look for during our dealer check when it arrives, this is our 5th trailer (2nd 5ver) so I do have some insights from previous disasters, but this model has been out for a few years now and I am sure there are some things to check specifically.

Also wondering if anyone knows what pin box is on this unit as I have a fifth airborne that I as hoping to reuse and not give up with the trade in. Also new one has level up so I guess I don't need the JT strong arms any more either so I will be pulling those off and selling as they are only months old.

now the clean out of the old one begins!!.... New one will be ready in two weeks so we do have some time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you great folks may provide.

scottyb

I have been very happy with the 5th Airborne. I would switch them if it comes with the plain Jane. Sounds like a nice rig. We added a latex topper to the King bed, and it went from too hard to luxurious, rivaling the most expensive mattress you can buy. Luckily, they use a residential King in them and you can buy residential bedding. No over priced RV stuff. Of course there's the tire issue also.

blong

Thanks scottyB, we do plan on switching the Fifth Airborne over, just hoping the one we have from the 3950 will fit. Good idea with the mattress topper, we will definitely look into that. Tires are not an issue as new one is coming with GY614s. Our deal was to include the swapping of our current trailers almost new 614's that were installed on it last fall, over to the new trailer but after the dealer talked to the factory he but decided against it and changed the order/deal to include them. The dealer said factory told him they put all 614's on heavier, wider rims, than the ones they ship with the normal E rated blowmax tires, and they use steel Valve stems too. Better deal for us as he is eating the extra costs of factory ordering these tires and we get 7 tires this way as spare is included in the upgrade.

Only thing is, now we are not really sure what the rims that come on it with the GY614's will look like.

pcardoza

We took delivery of our 2014 4100 King in May.

Make sure the dealer connects water to the unit and pressures it up. We had a number of faucet and drain connections that were loose and leaking. Had to tighten quite a few of them.

If you have 3 AC units, check the combination that can be run simultaneously. There's a 3-way switch on the wall near the entry door. Ours would run:

UP = BR and Garage
Center = Garage only
Down = Center and garage.

There was no option to run the BR and LR AC units at the same time. I told the dealer (and he agreed) that the setup was ridiculous and he had it reconfigured for me:

UP = BR & LR
Center = LR
Down = LR & Garage
Much more sensible.

Even though it's a 50A unit, Heartland does not want all three to be usable at one time, as it would exceed the output of the generator when not on shore power.

Check to make sure ALL the manuals are included. We had a number missing.

The waste tank valve handles are poorly labeled. Make sure you understand which is which.

Other than that, our rig has been extremely reliable and trouble free so far.

Wishing you all good luck with yours!

blong

Thanks

This is great advice and we also had a number of leaky loose fittings on the 3950 that we found only after we picked it up. The hot water tank connections were loose and filled underbelly coverings with water while we were on our way to Florida last year, no major damage but the sag in the panels never when away. Unfortunately we didn't even think to have them pressurize it but we will now that you have reminded me.

Awesome advice on the A/C switch, we did order the three units and had no idea there was a switch. We had our 3950 second A/C unit added after the build by the dealer as we did not order and bought it from stock. It is a totally separate control in the bedroom. Are there separate controls for each unit?
We will definitely have that switch configuration looked at as I agree that was a silly way to set it up and I like your new configuration much better.

Waste tank valves... yup.... same on the 3950, no labels and had to mark them ourselves. Rear tank was easy as its in the back.

Manuals is another thing we might not have checked for.

Its so easy to forget things with all the excitement of a new unit.

New for us is level up and the Canadian Arctic package (not really sure how we can test that one).

Good the hear you have a reliable unit and hope we get the same.

Thank You again for the advice, really appreciate it. Always good to learn from experience rather than learning the hard way.

pharmafrog

Blong,

We just took possession of ours yesterday and really got into it today.

We have three ACs, the switch came configured for Bedroom and Living Room without any mods. I did not test the other switch positions, but... it will be easy day.

The tank handles have a nice graphic now. No way to mistake them. Also one thing I liked was a small tutorial placard on the bus door driver side that walks you through sanitizing, winterizing, etc... Nice touch Heartland.

The LevelUp is the cat's pajamas. I stood agape and wondered how I ever did without it. The only thing is, I like to test the brakes and the hitch after hitching by raising the jacks a little and squeeze the brakes. I can't figure out how to raise them together. They retract one completely and then the other.

The other nice thing that I found was the utilities panel. Water, tank wash, cable, sat, etc.. all in one place.

The king bed sucks, then we found out that all of the tables were under the mattress, moved them and it sucked less, but still sucked. Mattress topper a must. The lower bunk in the garage is unsleepable for anyone but me ( I am a stomach sleeper.) We are currently creating a solution, I will let you know what we do.

The zero g chairs were a nice touch, the stools just get in the way.

Still can figure out what the RED light switch is for.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

blong

Thanks DW is already hunting for a good Mattress topper.
Nice they had labeled the tank handles and provided some instructions on the basics.
I am really looking forward to level up, especially after our last setup trial earlier this month....leveling blocks, then more leveling blocks, concrete blocks under the jacks, 30 minutes later we get to put out the slides and turn on the air, and no ones very happy at that point except maybe the dog who is just happy to be outside.
Zero G chairs comment intrigues me.... did they come with the unit? I have seen them in pictures since we ordered last week but my dealer never mentioned them. Are they part of the patio package?

Re the mystery switch... We still have one of those unknown switches in our home, been here 9 years still cant figure out what it does....

thanks for the tips Enjoy!!

danemayer

Wall-type light switches that are red are usually either 1) the electric power to the hot water heater (make sure there's water in the water heater before experimenting with this switch), or 2) the holding tank heating pads (there may be a separate switch for the water line heat tape).

blong

Just thought of another question, will we still need any kind of additional stabilizer arms to keep the trailer stable, or does level up provide stability as well as auto leveling. We installed JT strong arms on our 3950 in March this year and that made a world of difference, all shake and wobble almost all gone. I am not sure if I can even move the JT's to the new 4100 even if I wanted to because of the way they connect to the legs...perhaps there are adapters for them. I am really hoping I wont miss that stability.

pharmafrog

We have only spent one night in our new 4100, but it was more stable with the auto leveling than with our old 5th wheel with the JT strong arms. I don't think we are going to need jt strong arms.
- Also someone else on the forum recommended that we check the support poles for the benches in the garage that they may be too short. They were correct. ours were too short.

-As a side note we had great success with making the queen happy jack beds comfortable. The top was easy. We bought a memory foam topper from costco and it was great. The toppers are too heavy to put on the bottom b/c they would be too hard to move back and forth regularly to set up the benches. We used an old foam mattress (because its lighter and less floppy) that we had from our old king loft in our previous 5th wheel and cut a relief out of the bottom in the following dimensions. approx. 2" X 33 1/2" x 60" . The mattress was 4 inches thick and the cutout fits on top of the poofy part of the bench seats. There is a big difference in foam mattress prices and hard to find via google b/c memory foam toppers keep coming up in the search. I am not sure where I bought mine but this website looks similar and well priced. http://www.foambymail.com/HDR_2/hd36-r-foam-mattress.html. Anyway a 4 inch mattress w/o a cover was $93.00. I don't have a cover. I just use a mattress pad.

Also we may keep the cut out in case we need to use the foam bed on a flat surface or change it's application.

blong

Confirmed from factory
G614 do come on different rims.
photo2.jpg
Gravity chairs are a patio promo that we are getting, buts apparently promo ends very soon, (Aug 4? I think)

txmelea

-As a side note we had great success with making the queen happy jack beds comfortable. The top was easy. We bought a memory foam topper from costco and it was great. The toppers are too heavy to put on the bottom b/c they would be too hard to move back and forth regularly to set up the benches. We used an old foam mattress (because its lighter and less floppy) that we had from our old king loft in our previous 5th wheel and cut a relief out of the bottom in the following dimensions. approx. 2" X 33 1/2" x 60" . The mattress was 4 inches thick and the cutout fits on top of the poofy part of the bench seats. There is a big difference in foam mattress prices and hard to find via google b/c memory foam toppers keep coming up in the search. I am not sure where I bought mine but this website looks similar and well priced. http://www.foambymail.com/HDR_2/hd36-r-foam-mattress.html. Anyway a 4 inch mattress w/o a cover was $93.00. I don't have a cover. I just use a mattress pad.

Also we may keep the cut out in case we need to use the foam bed on a flat surface or change it's application.[/QUOTE]

pharmafrog - thank you for sharing the fix for making the bottom bunk sleepable! What did you use to cut the section out of the foam mattress?

taken

Confirmed from factory
G614 do come on different rims.
View attachment 30844
Gravity chairs are a patio promo that we are getting, buts apparently promo ends very soon, (Aug 4? I think)

The rims in your picture are the standard rims they all come with. Unless they are the same rims as usual only wider??

taken

Then they are indeed the same rims that come with the blowmax load range E tires. Same ones my rig came with. I upgraded to G614's on the stock rims.

blong

Picture was taken by a Heartland Factory Rep and is supposed to be of our actual rig as it was being built last week. He sent others of the inside in various state of the build as well. I was impressed he took the time and did that for us.
They do look the same as the Treadit rims but different than all the pictures I have seen of 2015 4100 models rims. We will know in a week whether they are wider or not.
We had no issues with G614's on the stock 6 inch rims on the 3950 so not worried.... just curious, and happy to have G614's coming on the new one.

blong

We picked up our new 4100 yesterday and its is Awesome. We really love the darker grey color scheme and . The big Bedroom window so much brighter in here now. DW cant get over how big the bathroom is, it is huge.
G614 factory ordered came on 16X6 rims pictured above with all metal valve stems. I had them balance the tires before we left the dealer with my TPMS 507 cap units on them, one took almost 8 ounces of weights the rest were around 4. So another big vote for balancing...
Rear Bed legs are too short as most folks seem to have experienced so Dealer will send us replacements soon I hope.
Checked water system for leaks and found none, because our dealer is great and had tightened them all before we got there.
Everything else was fine.
But still need some folks help as there are a number of switches that are not marked that I am hoping to figure out soon.
Lighted Red one and non lit white one in their own boxes mounted below the panel at the front door?
A block of 3 and another of 2 switches on garage ceiling?
Also, I thought I read that the 4100 couch could be turned into a bed but we cant figure out how....and dealer did not know either.