2017 Gateway, slides will not retracr

Cjm005

We're on day 3 of extended trip. This morning we got ready to pull out, pushed the slide in switch, and only the front bedroom and kitchen slide come in, the living room and back two slides are not budging. I can hear the pump running. So I try connecting to the truck, bring them all back out, all of them come in fine.

8 hours later, arrive at next spot. Unhook the truck, level and bring slides out. My wife noticed a blanket stuck behind trim piece on slide, so I go to bring them in just enough to get out. Same thing... kitchen in, front bedroom in, others not budging.

I have not hooked back up to truck to test again... is this a problem with battery not having enough voltage or maybe valve problems? 2017 Gateway... battery is new!

danemayer

Hi cjm005,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The battery gets recharged from the Power Converter when you're on shore power. But there's a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker in between the Power Converter and the battery. If the breaker trips, the battery won't get recharged and could be too weak for everything to operate properly.

Check near your battery for a row of mini-circuit breakers covered by a red rubber boot. One breaker has a teeny-tiny reset button.

If you have auto-leveling, you can cycle the control panel to read the voltage on the system. If plugged into shore power and disconnected from the truck, it should read 13.2 - 13.6 VDC. If shore power is unplugged it should be around 12.6 VDC or higher.

Here are some pictures to help.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 21
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 18

Cjm005

So I do have 13.6 by looking at the level panel and the converter while on shore power. I did find a bad 20 amp fuse on a wire going into that bar. Mine looks a bit different, I'll take a pic... 2017 Gateway ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

So I do have 13.6 by looking at the level panel and the converter while on shore power. I did find a bad 20 amp fuse on a wire going into that bar. Mine looks a bit different, I'll take a pic... 2017 Gateway ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's quite a variety in those buss bar layouts.

13.6 at the leveling system confirms that power is getting from the converter to the battery. If you have a battery problem, the hydraulics pump may run, but can be flaky. It usually needs additional amperage provided by the battery. You may want to get the battery tested at an auto parts store or service center.

If you have a single switch that operates all slides, and some are working, the control valve and switch are working.

If there's a battery problem, and you have a problem with the slides, you'll usually also have a problem with the leveling jacks.

Check the fluid level in the hydraulics tank. With all slides in, hooked to the truck and jacks all up, the fluid should be maybe 3/4" from the top of the tank.